Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby zircher » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:57 pm

I've been guilty of that as well. :-)

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:31 pm

Finally got caught up after a bit of an absence. Lots of good episodes which deserve better comment than I am able to give after bingeing. I will say that the description of "The Xi Effect" from Die Farben had me ranting (at the author, not you guys) about the bad physics. Seeing from Wikipedia that it was based on an entirely made up theory briefly mollified me until I saw that the guy who wrote it was an astronomer. This is why I don't like most hard science fiction.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:02 pm

I did have an idea for Sailor Noir. A big part of the Noir vibe is being caught in a world where you have no hope of beating the system, but you're going to try anyway. So I pictured a former magical girl team. They fought the good fight for years against mad scientists and alien invaders. All the while, crime bosses and corrupt politicians gobbled up the world the team worked so hard to save. When they realize that there is a very real problem that they can't solve with a literal magic wand, it breaks them. They split up and go there separate ways. Years later, there is an inciting incident that makes it personal. Death of a mentor may be a cliche, but it's a pretty good option or at least gives you an idea. And so they get the band back together. By Damn, they're going to fix things even if they have to burn everything down to do it.
Last edited by Burning on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:13 pm

I wonder if you can hack (or even need to hack) John's Magical Mom Force for that game. :-)
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/242483/Magical-Mom-Force

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:03 am

Burning wrote:I did have an idea for Sailor Noir. A big part of the Noir vibe is being caught in a world where you have no hope of beating the system, but you're going to try anyway. So I pictured a former magical girl team. They fought the good fight for years against mad scientists and alien invaders. All the while, crime bosses and corrupt politicians gobbled up the world the team worked so hard to save. When they realize that there is a very real problem that they can't solve with a literal magic wand, it breaks them. They split up and go there separate ways. Years later, there is an inciting incident that makes it personal. Death of a mentor may be a cliche, but it's a pretty good option or at least gives you an idea. And so they get the band back together. By Damn, they're going to fix things even if they have to burn everything down to do it.

scribbles notes

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Episode One Hundred And Eighteen – The Winter of our Discotheque

Genre-themed Librarians battle the forces of evil. Quietly.

A venue shared between the Summer & Winter Courts of Faerie transitions from a generations-long reign of summer into an unexpected winter primacy.

A nightclub which serves as a refuge from the dark.

Plucky clubbers work together to save their beloved nightclub, without 100% understanding the backstory as to why it’s being sold.

Strange happenings at the all-ages venue need to be investigated, even though that place is totally lame. Also, that super-hot new kid might be there.

Is there a space for a Meddling Kids vs. Criminals game where harming the kids is simply not done, and the surprisingly ethical mobsters instead use social pressures to keep the little brats in line?

Richard III in the 70’s
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Now is the winter of our discotheque made glorious summer by this son of Funk.

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Burning wrote:Now is the winter of our discotheque made glorious summer by this son of Funk.
Damn!

How did I not see that as a possibility?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:
Burning wrote:Now is the winter of our discotheque made glorious summer by this son of Funk.
Damn!

How did I not see that as a possibility?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's a scenario perfect for QAGS: Funkadelic Frankenstein on the Mean Streets of Monstertown!
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:47 pm

I might be late for the recording, but I've got an idea for the Home Improvement/Ghostbusting TV Show.

Recently I've been reading some of the Carnacki, the Ghost Finder stories of William Hope Hodgson. These aren't exactly great stories, but they're entertaining enough yarns. Thomas Carnacki is this dilettante supernatural investigator, who regales his friends with stories of his latest investigations. These nearly always take place in stately homes that are having their property value diminished by some sort of "haunting." I put in the scare quotes, because one interesting thing about the Carnacki stories is that only sometimes is there a supernatural cause to the whole problem.

So I started picturing "Thomas Carnacki's the Apprentice". The players are would-be supernatural investigators. Week after week, they get carted around to old mansions. Carnacki has already diagnosed the source of the haunting, but he's not telling. Your job is to figure out what's going on and how to fix that, whether that's performing an exorcism, arresting creepy Mr. Johnson next door (who probably thinks there's oil on the property), or repairing that leaky flue. Since having his contestants dragged off to hell would make bad television, Carnacki always takes precautions to nullify malign entities (while still leaving them detectable) in the case of real hauntings.

That's the background. And some might just enjoy the reality TV concept, but I wanted to give it more of a plot. My brainwave came from the realization that while the reader is supposed to find Carnacki charming, I suspect I'd personally find him quite annoying in real life. So the inciting event is that for this week's show, Carnacki has got it badly, terribly wrong. There is a very dangerous specter in the house, but Carnacki has put the disturbances down to a family of squirrels in the attic. As such, his precautions consist of a dozen have-a-heart traps and a registered nurse with a supply of rabies vaccine. The players are then faced with a situation that is supposed to be a safe way for their characters to get on TV, but turns into a fight for survival against a powerful supernatural entity.

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”