Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:15 am

Burning wrote:Another jim-dandy episode. :thumbup:

Thank You! :D

Burning wrote:During the whole intrepid-explorers-of-the-heights section, I suddenly got the image in my head of a squid piloting its supermersible along the beach, coming to a halt when it gets spotted by humans, and thinking "If I hold perfectly still, maybe they will lose interest and go about their business." Which probably reflects my inclination that I'd actually be more into playing that game as the squid than as the humans. Although it would be awesome either way.

You got me thinking about the Play The Squid idea.
The comedy-game potential of squid attempting to do super-stealthy things in environments where they really don't blend in is huge.
The idea of a covert operation to build a something-or-other on Alcatraz Island, or downtown Seattle, or Tower Bridge in London, makes me smile.

It also brought to mind the movie Spaced Invaders, where more or less incompetent aliens are eventually helped out by the locals.
Again, a comedy.

Burning wrote:I also wondered if you were aware of DUMAND or any of its successor projects to actually use the sea as the medium for a neutrino detector array. One of the project team scientists was a professor at the university where I did my graduate study in physics. (We joked that he was on the project because it gave him an excuse to go to Hawaii in the winter.) Anyway, he gave a few talks on the project and one of the problems they had was bio-luminescent fish producing false signals.

No, I wasn't, and it sounds fascinating.
Prior to doing the show notes, the last time I read anything about Neutrinos was back when there was still the Solar Neutrino Problem of "why does the model not match the observations?", and the somewhat alarming suggestion that maybe the sun was a lot further along in it's lifespan, and had gone out.

And by 'read', I mean 'read some popular science articles'.
Modern Physics & I parted company in undergraduate studies. :?

Burning wrote:Finally, I would watch the hell out of a cartoon of The Adventures of Squid Boy and Inky.

I keep hoping that Kev will run another Kerberos Club game, so that I can play Victorian Era Squidboy & Inky.

Burning wrote:The prompt "Are you Henry David Thoreau?" brought to mind the parlor game Botticelli. I will confess that I then attempted to turn the concept of Botticelli into an RPG adventure. It didn't work. I got as far as a time travel game, where an important historical figure has been ripped from their place in the time-stream and you have to return them to prevent history from being undone. Except you don't actually know which historical figure it is, and you need to figure it out. At that point, I realized it didn't even sound fun to me. So, yeah.

I'd not heard of this game, and it sounds fun.

We (mostly Ben) may have come up with something based on Sapphire & Steel and Time Cellist, ...

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Hmmmmm.

Should I leave the comment "Here, have a protein squirrel" in the episode?

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Protein Squirrels: The other white meat!
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:Hmmmmm.

Should I leave the comment "Here, have a protein squirrel" in the episode?

Yes. Yes, that needs to go in. It possibly also needs to go in the Mystery Box.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Remember the idea of having a Super Villain mentor a young superhero... Well D.C. beat us to it.

https://maskedquerade.tumblr.com/post/1 ... ead-comics

Read and enjoy.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Episode One Hundred And Three – Are You Henry David Thoreau?

Troubleshooters in the Bosky Groves

Living Deliberately while being hunted by shadowy agencies

‘Thoreau’s Angels’ or ‘Pre-Industrial Shadowrun’?

A Parlor Game with Time-chewing horrors

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Wow, I had completely forgotten that I was the one who had proposed that for the mystery box. :?

Some nice discussion there. I'm particularly impressed that you actually came up with something based on my horrible idea. Well done! :D
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 am

Burning wrote:Wow, I had completely forgotten that I was the one who had proposed that for the mystery box. :?

I'm kind of wishing that we'd dated the cards in some way, just to see when these come from.

When we were doing the card pictures, you could make a guess based on handwriting, but now that I'm just taking my holiday photos and putting text on them, Ben's the only one who sees the cards.

For all I know he gave up on the Mystery Box back in 2016 and has been picking whichever one he feels like. :think:

Burning wrote:Some nice discussion there. I'm particularly impressed that you actually came up with something based on my horrible idea. Well done! :D

Yay!
Glad you liked what we came up with.

That said, we may simply have punted the can a little further down the road, changing it from a problem in game design into a problem in scenario design.

I do like Ben's thought about not getting too many 'Yes' answers in a row - Has a certain 'dealing with a devil' vibe to it, where it wants you to make a mistake.
Quite how to do that in plot terms if you've chosen a historical figure who isn't actually a bad person is where I'm currently stuck, unless you go with some degree of possession - They are the historical figure, and they are out of time, but their will and agenda is not entirely their own.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am

Misread a NewsThump headline and came up with this game pitch:

It's a Mad Max Utopia!

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:20 am

kedamono wrote:Misread a NewsThump headline and came up with this game pitch:

It's a Mad Max Utopia!
Puts me in mind of an awful theme park, with The Bullet Farm and Immortan Joe's Castle.
And presumably The Lord Humungus' Hideout.

Of course, I misread what you wrote, and I'm not sure how, as "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad Max".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”