Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby kedamono » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:37 pm

OH MY! One of mine made it to the show! OK, let's go with it and do...

Banana Warriors of Dimension X!

A little world building first. The Banana Continuum consists of 26 linked dimensions, from Dimension A to Dimension Z. Each of the dimensions is home to a Banana Collective, a bunch of bananaoids that live, love, and make more bananas. They trade with other dimensions in the Vegiverse, part of the Agriverse. Everyone is told that you can only travel from A-Z and in reverse order. But you can't go from Z to A.

Or so you are told.

You also can't leave the Continuum, as bananas that leave it ripen and die. Again, so you are told.

Tragedy strikes, as virus strikes the Cavendish Collective in Dimension A! It soon spreads like wildfire from A to W, with the valiant Bananas of Dimension X closing the doors and keeping it from entering their world. The scientists of W were able to isolate and examine the virus and transfer their information before the connections to their dimension were broken.

The Virus is artificial and someone purposely spread it to most of the Banana Continuum!

To save their people and those in Dimensions A through W, the Top Banana, Sir Peel, orders the Banana Warriors to leave the Banana Continuum and find out who created this virus and bring them to justice! It's a volunteer only mission, as it means certain death from ripening.

You are part of that band of volunteers, a bunch of green Banana Warriors, venturing forth to find out the truth about the Virus and the fate of the Banana Continuum!

Since this is very pulpy, I'd use Fate Accelerated for the rules, with the advance knowledge that the characters have a definite shelf life. Or so they're told.

I'm saying that a lot, aren't I? This is setup as a form of Suicide Squad (Bunch)/ Strikeforce Morituri game. You are the expendable cannon fodder, out on a doomed mission. Or, let's say it together, "So you are told."

The truth is that Bananas can survive as long as they want outside the Continuum as long as they get a new encounter peel. It turns brown and degrades, protecting the banana within. If you can get a Plantain encounter suit, it lasts even longer.

The Virus was not created by outside forces, it was created by the top bananas of Dimension Z. They discovered that you can go from Z to A directly. In fact, you can go to anywhere in the Continuum without a problem. But the Bananas of Dimensions A, B, and C kept that a secret and exploited the other dimensions of the Continuum for their resources and labor, while they reaped all the rewards and wealth. The Bananas of Dimension Z decided to overturn the hierarchy and make themselves the top bananas and remove the competition. And they are immune to the virus, as they are Lakatans, not Cavendishes.

So it's an adventure of exploring new worlds in the Vegiverse, combating the forces of Z, and finding out it's all been a lie and its up to you to Make Things Right. You need to ally with the Plantains and other Bananas out there to fight for what's right. And to find a cure for the Virus. Perhaps, hybridization? :love:

(By the way, if you want a guest host, I should be available.)

Obligatory Game Pitch:

Drat! The Space Patrol is after us again!
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:52 pm

I was already a little concerned about my idea for this one, seeing as how it's based on not one, but two different slurs using the word "Banana".

Now I also have to add the concern that, in addition to what it's based on, it's also a bit rubbish.

Thanks a bunch, Kedamono. :lol:

:twisted:
(this is where spending 80+ episodes establishing ourselves as talentless hacks will pay off)
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:54 pm

Johnson: "The McGuffin is in Kalamazoo."
Ace Cube: "Now you're pulling my leg..."
Johnson: "No, seriously. The city exists. It's just protected by a dimensional barrier."
Ace Cube: "Great. So if the whole damn city is in dimension X how are my team and I supposed to get in?"
Johnson: "You'll need a pass key to cross the ward."

Ace looks down at the table. "A banana?"

Johnson nods. "Apparently they wanted something that your average raider would not bring into battle. Don't lose it or you won't be able to get back out."

The banana warriors of dimension X is a comedic confused urban fantasy post apocalyptic cyberpunk game of a raid gone wrong. The first act is the heist. But, the second act begins with the Kalamazoomians wanting to keep their secret safe. So, while a banana is the key to get in, it's not the key to get out. What will our brave team do? Who can they trust? Where do you find a fresh kumquat (or other mystery fruit) in Michigan? What's special about this McGuffin anyway?

I think MonkeyDome might be a good system for this since it bounces back and forth between serious and silly.
You can get the PDF for free here: https://dig1000holes.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/monkeydome_screen.pdf

[edit for typos and a link]
Last edited by zircher on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:01 pm

This is going to be our most nutritionally balanced episode ever, ...

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:10 pm

Indeed. Although with John's pitch I can not get "VeggieTales: The Apocalypse" out of my head. :lol:

Perhaps we can re-skin the World of Darkness for this game?

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:19 pm

zircher wrote:Indeed. Although with John's pitch I can not get "VeggieTales: The Apocalypse" out of my head. :lol:

And now I'm imagining a giant pickle dressed as The Lord Humungus from Mad Max 2. :facepalm:

also:

"OK, that sounds like a Crispness + Freshness roll to me"

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:26 pm

zircher wrote:Indeed. Although with John's pitch I can not get "VeggieTales: The Apocalypse" out of my head. :lol:

Perhaps we can re-skin the World of Darkness for this game?

Hey, at least you didn't say "Reskinned Sausage Party."

"My fellow Nanners! Follow me into the Farmers Market and Victory!"

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:48 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:And now I'm imagining a giant pickle dressed as The Lord Humungus from Mad Max 2. :facepalm:

also:

"OK, that sounds like a Crispness + Freshness roll to me"

Love it!

"Don't let them catch you. You'll be pickled for sure and become anther gherkin in Lord Hummus's war machine."

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:39 pm

Gotta do a Lord Hummus reply!

Lord Hummus: There has been too much violence. Too much pain. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me your pumpernickel, the olive oil, the mayonnaise, and the whole grocery cart, and I'll spare your lives. Just walk away and we'll give you a safe passageway in the Grocery Isles. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:45 pm

I saw this video and immediately thought of the Big Red Couch crew. Please consider '(big red) couch surfing' as another fine entry for your box o' stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/Spi0n/videos/10153125384367171/

Return to “Shameless Plugs”