Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Borborygmus
BABUSHKA!

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Borborygmus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:51 am

And to warm folks up, here's the next episode prompt.

We're recording in few days, international time zones and jet lag permitting, and we'd love to hear your ideas.
"No time to game!"
"Let's make a podcast about it!"
"Yes! That'll solve all our problems!"
http://www.hoarde.net/bigredcouch/

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 pm

Enjoyed #76 and it certainly went in directions I didn't expect.

ShadowFarm - it really doesn't have to be all that post-apocalyptic (well there are a lot more magical critters out there now and maybe some folks that would rather take than buy or barter.) I can see everyone being wired and connected, just cause you're out in the boonies doesn't mean that you're out of touch. Perhaps there are four main settings...
* the country side and small towns that have gone back to wilderness
* rural resorts for the elites with tall walls, security, and lots of artfully concealed weapon turrets
* corporate farms that are mainly run by autonomous farming machines with only security patrols, mechanics, and an agro-tech or corporate shaman on site, lots of fences with razor wire, at harvest time expect armed convoys to take the crops to the cities
* independent/family farms (that haven't been bought out or burned down), can't afford the security of the corp farms so they augment their forces; sentry cattle, ripper dogs, hunter/kill drones, etc

Strange thoughts... NELSON! Did you see the time gun? Apparently there used to be a cannon that they fired every Saturday at noon. I find this charming since Oklahoma City tests its tornado sirens on Saturdays at noon. Now all we need are time twisters to connect the two locations. :-)

Speaking of twisting... since Nelson is the center of New Zealand, imagine an alternate Earth where the world turns around that point and Earth has enough tilt that it is not a polar zone. Some crazy geography and climate to ponder, the antipode would be somewhere in northern Portugal.

This Island Universe, that's actually a thing in Fringeworthy. There are 'pocket' nodes where the whole universe might be a single location, like an inter-dimensional junkyard, a private resort where if you walk in a straight line you end up back where you started, etc.

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 am

Burning wrote:Anyway, I've also enjoyed the little bit of travel-log that is accompanying Craig's peregrinations. I consider where I live to be "A nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there." Be that as it may, if, when you visit the States, you feel a compulsion to visit Madison, Wisconsin, let me know, and we can meet up.

Yay!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm glad people, or at least person, enjoy the rambling travelogues.

I'm going to be traveling to & from the USA via Chicago, and that doesn't look so far; It'd be entirely awesome to meet up.

Prior to hitting the wikipedia page on Madison, my knowledge of Wisconsin was limited to a Kim Possible episode involving a giant cheese wheel, which may not be an accurate depiction of the State.
That and a line from the movie Love Actually.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Episode Seventy Seven – This Island Universe

Trading ships running up and down a river whose shores touch different realities.

Building out from a the centre of a pocket universe, to uncover it’s boundaries and it’s secrets.

An artificial archipelago populated by the “insanely” wealthy, who suddenly have face an apocalypse and each other’s… ..eccentricities.

Between the towering rows of crops and the treads of the machines that tend them, humanity ekes out an existence.

A slip of the tongue. A case of mistaken identity. Or the symptoms a partially erased alternative timeline?

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:07 am

Kansas is Vibrating

No truer words were spoken. At first the earthquakes were blamed on the shale oil fracking going on in the state. But...

The sites where they occurred were far from the fracking wells. "Well, perhaps they are affecting the ends of faults in the region?" was the speculation by the geologists. Only, the tremors weren't. No where near any of the known faults. That's when someone plotting the tremors realized that the disparate quakes were occurring in distinct tracks.

As though something was underground, burrowing.

I'd set this in a quasi-weird science setting, requiring at least a Zarkov or a Challenger to suggest going underground in their Atomic Powered Mole.

What's happening is that Kansas has a bad case of Space Maggots. Massive silicon lifeforms, the size of football pitch, that are busily consuming the num-nummy silicate rocks under the state and excreting oh so toxic waste. They are converging on the city of Great Bend and things will get bent.

This is definitely an Atomic Robo scenario, requiring the very best of Tesladyne's Action Scientists! Will they find a way to stop the Space Maggots before they pupate and rise out of the ground as Star Flies? And are these the only Space Maggots on Earth?

Stay tuned Action Science Fans!
Last edited by kedamono on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Borborygmus
BABUSHKA!

Postby Borborygmus » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:19 am

kedamono wrote:Kansas is Vibrating

What's happening is that Kansas has a bad case of Space Maggots. Massive silicon lifeforms, the size of football pitch, that are busily consuming the num-nummy silicate rocks under the state and excreting oh so toxic waste. They are converging on the city of Great Bend and things will get bent.

Very nice! I wonder how everyone missed the fly that laid the eggs in the first place?

"No time to game!"

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Borborygmus wrote:

Very nice! I wonder how everyone missed the fly that laid the eggs in the first place?

Looking back, it seems incredible to me that we all spent the night of the meteor shower so calmly, standing on our porches or gathering in the streets to marvel at the glowing lights which seemed to slow as they neared the ground.
Ogilvy, the amateur astronomer, assured us that it was an optical illusion which made the meteors seem to wander around as they neared the ground, merely light reflecting through the atmosphere from a rock already exploded, melted, or impacted.
If we'd only known, we'd have been out there with every tanker of pesticide the town could muster, ...

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:01 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:
Borborygmus wrote:

Looking back, it seems incredible to me that we all spent the night of the meteor shower so calmly, standing on our porches or gathering in the streets to marvel at the glowing lights which seemed to slow as they neared the ground.
Ogilvy, the amateur astronomer, assured us that it was an optical illusion which made the meteors seem to wander around as they neared the ground, merely light reflecting through the atmosphere from a rock already exploded, melted, or impacted.
If we'd only known, we'd have been out there with every tanker of pesticide the town could muster, ...

The above has to be part of the setup. :D

"Robo?" asked Clem, as he adjusted his helmet lamp.

"Yes Clem?" replied a slightly exasperated Atomic Robo.

"These space maggots," he indicated the 20 meter tall wall of pulsing silicate flesh at the end of the tunnel they had dug, "they're the only thing down here that we have to worry about, right?"

Robo loaded up his 20mm pistol and adjusted his combat vest. "Yeah, that's right. Just keep a watch on our backsides while' we're down here. OK, let's move out! We gotta bug to smash!"
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Borborygmus
BABUSHKA!

Postby Borborygmus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 pm

Episode Seventy Eight – Kansas Is Vibrating

The State of Kansas is leaving the Union: Economically, Legislatively, Administratively, and, with the aid of advanced rocket engines deep beneath the surface, Physically.

Loyal Kansans attempt to right the wrong of Kansas City, Missouri, by re-writing history. Sadly, time travel is an imprecise tool, and Kansas City has come adrift, moving from place to place in the present day, taking over the existing locations & population.

The Spirit of Kansas, tired of the State’s reputation as ‘boring’, is attracting attention by shaking things up in a very literal way.

Strange Vibrations beneath the very soils of Kansas?
Is it earthquakes? The result of fracking?

Nope; Space Maggots.

Space prospectors find the USS Kansas beached on an asteroid. How did she get there? And what happened to her crew?
"No time to game!"

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:55 pm

Good show! I had trouble logging in earlier, so I posted my pitch for next episode's theme in the show's comments section. Really curious to see if Kedamono will come up with a Harbor City Irregulars angle or not.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”