Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Burning » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:34 pm

So getting a new computer had a disproportionately large impact on my podcast listening, so I'm just catching up.

Time Sculptors and We Call Her "Amelia" are a great pair to have back to back. I think the only game idea between the two where I didn't have a "My God, I want to play that" reaction was the inverse zombie one, which was still amusing.

I don't really have a game idea for Time Sculptors, but I thought of a couple of works of fiction that kind of fit the concept with non-evil people doing the time manipulation. (Not really for aesthetic purposes, I'll grant. I'm at a loss for how you'd have someone manipulating time as a work of art that wouldn't be truly despicable.) Anyway, I thought I'd share them with the class to see if they made anyone else think of anything actually playable. This is going to be spoilerific. Look behind the tags at your own peril.

The first is Dinosaur Beach by Keith Laumer.

The first discoverers of Time Travel made a real mess. The main character is an agent of an organization dedicated to repairing the damage to the timelines. His opponents are members of different organizations with the same goal, except that they're convinced that their solution is the right one. Also, he's actually a covert infiltrator of the organization you first think he's a member of, and actually works for the ultimate fixer, who is the only one that recognizes that the fix must necessarily involve their own erasure from the timelines.

The actual time travel plot gets pretty confusing, but there are a lot of awesome set pieces along the way.

The second is the comic "Time Breakers" by Rachel Pollack.

The Time Breakers are an organization that create temporal paradoxes, both of the Grandfatherand Bootstrapkind. They do this because, contrary to how things usually work in Time Travel fiction, paradoxes are necessary to the health of the space time continuum. They are opposed by the Knowers, who are convinced that the Time Breakers are evil. The ultimate victory of the Time Breakers involves (a) giving the leader of the Knowers his "divine" mission and (b) giving him the means to prevent the Time Breakers from ever being founded. Resulting in the biggest Grandfather paradox ever, and permanently securing the health of all space time.

I do have an idea for "Amelia," which oddly enough (or perhaps not so oddly) involves time manipulation.

My starting point was taking the seed in what struck me as the most literal way possible. We of course know how often any two people agree on that proposition. Anyway, there's a woman. Her legal name is not Amelia. At no time in the past has she had the nickname Amelia or any association with the name Amelia. She does not resemble anyone named Amelia. There is absolutely no connection anyone can find between her and the name Amelia. Yet there is a group of people who feel compelled to call her Amelia, and she answers to the name without hesitation. What could cause this? Some residual awareness of an erased timeline, of course. ;)

I carried this to the PCs being a group of people who have become aware that someone or something is messing with the timeline. Whether this actually involves the specific inciting incident of Amelia or something else that triggers the conviction that something isn't the way it used to/should be, is left up to the GMs discretion. The plot would be figuring out something is wrong, figuring out who's responsible, and stopping them.

Anyway, I've also enjoyed the little bit of travel-log that is accompanying Craig's peregrinations. I consider where I live to be "A nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there." Be that as it may, if, when you visit the States, you feel a compulsion to visit Madison, Wisconsin, let me know, and we can meet up.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Just listened to the Gutter Skypes (episode 169) and I MUST submit this as a card...

"Have you heard of our lord and savior, Craig Buchanan?"

(Blame Nikki if you need a credit.)

Borborygmus
BABUSHKA!

Postby Borborygmus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:42 am

zircher wrote:Just listened to the Gutter Skypes (episode 169) and I MUST submit this as a card...

I am clearly missing a vital piece of information.... ...but consider it banked!
"No time to game!"
"Let's make a podcast about it!"
"Yes! That'll solve all our problems!"
http://www.hoarde.net/bigredcouch/

Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:20 am

Borborygmus wrote:
zircher wrote:Just listened to the Gutter Skypes (episode 169) and I MUST submit this as a card...

I am clearly missing a vital piece of information.... ...but consider it banked!

Did I not mention the devotees to my religious works? Coulda sworn I had, ... :D

Borborygmus
BABUSHKA!

Postby Borborygmus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:49 am

This is a bit late, but here's our latest episode.

Episode Seventy Six – The Tragedy Of Little Miss Muffet

For small arts colleges in the cyberpunk dystopia, there’s a choice to be made between being free of any corporate influence, and dead broke, or climbing onto that gravy train of research into how to better control the world.

Rules about not interfering with developing life-forms are a fine idea, but when you finally find some folks who are almost at the point where you could talk to them, and there’s a threat inbound that they can’t deal with on their own, what do you do?

Who is framing the spider for Miss Muffet’s mysterious murder?

Miss Muffet lies dead at the Muffet Estate, and the assembled guests must determine which of them is the murderer.

Cyberpunk cities are bad enough, with the side-effects of corporate actions clearly visible in the streets and alleyways. But what’s happening out in the post-rural countryside?
"No time to game!"

Borborygmus
BABUSHKA!

Postby Borborygmus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:51 am

And to warm folks up, here's the next episode prompt.

We're recording in few days, international time zones and jet lag permitting, and we'd love to hear your ideas.
"No time to game!"

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:05 pm

Enjoyed #76 and it certainly went in directions I didn't expect.

ShadowFarm - it really doesn't have to be all that post-apocalyptic (well there are a lot more magical critters out there now and maybe some folks that would rather take than buy or barter.) I can see everyone being wired and connected, just cause you're out in the boonies doesn't mean that you're out of touch. Perhaps there are four main settings...
* the country side and small towns that have gone back to wilderness
* rural resorts for the elites with tall walls, security, and lots of artfully concealed weapon turrets
* corporate farms that are mainly run by autonomous farming machines with only security patrols, mechanics, and an agro-tech or corporate shaman on site, lots of fences with razor wire, at harvest time expect armed convoys to take the crops to the cities
* independent/family farms (that haven't been bought out or burned down), can't afford the security of the corp farms so they augment their forces; sentry cattle, ripper dogs, hunter/kill drones, etc

Strange thoughts... NELSON! Did you see the time gun? Apparently there used to be a cannon that they fired every Saturday at noon. I find this charming since Oklahoma City tests its tornado sirens on Saturdays at noon. Now all we need are time twisters to connect the two locations. :-)

Speaking of twisting... since Nelson is the center of New Zealand, imagine an alternate Earth where the world turns around that point and Earth has enough tilt that it is not a polar zone. Some crazy geography and climate to ponder, the antipode would be somewhere in northern Portugal.

This Island Universe, that's actually a thing in Fringeworthy. There are 'pocket' nodes where the whole universe might be a single location, like an inter-dimensional junkyard, a private resort where if you walk in a straight line you end up back where you started, etc.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 am

Burning wrote:Anyway, I've also enjoyed the little bit of travel-log that is accompanying Craig's peregrinations. I consider where I live to be "A nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there." Be that as it may, if, when you visit the States, you feel a compulsion to visit Madison, Wisconsin, let me know, and we can meet up.

Yay!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm glad people, or at least person, enjoy the rambling travelogues.

I'm going to be traveling to & from the USA via Chicago, and that doesn't look so far; It'd be entirely awesome to meet up.

Prior to hitting the wikipedia page on Madison, my knowledge of Wisconsin was limited to a Kim Possible episode involving a giant cheese wheel, which may not be an accurate depiction of the State.
That and a line from the movie Love Actually.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:23 pm

Episode Seventy Seven – This Island Universe

Trading ships running up and down a river whose shores touch different realities.

Building out from a the centre of a pocket universe, to uncover it’s boundaries and it’s secrets.

An artificial archipelago populated by the “insanely” wealthy, who suddenly have face an apocalypse and each other’s… ..eccentricities.

Between the towering rows of crops and the treads of the machines that tend them, humanity ekes out an existence.

A slip of the tongue. A case of mistaken identity. Or the symptoms a partially erased alternative timeline?
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:07 am

Kansas is Vibrating

No truer words were spoken. At first the earthquakes were blamed on the shale oil fracking going on in the state. But...

The sites where they occurred were far from the fracking wells. "Well, perhaps they are affecting the ends of faults in the region?" was the speculation by the geologists. Only, the tremors weren't. No where near any of the known faults. That's when someone plotting the tremors realized that the disparate quakes were occurring in distinct tracks.

As though something was underground, burrowing.

I'd set this in a quasi-weird science setting, requiring at least a Zarkov or a Challenger to suggest going underground in their Atomic Powered Mole.

What's happening is that Kansas has a bad case of Space Maggots. Massive silicon lifeforms, the size of football pitch, that are busily consuming the num-nummy silicate rocks under the state and excreting oh so toxic waste. They are converging on the city of Great Bend and things will get bent.

This is definitely an Atomic Robo scenario, requiring the very best of Tesladyne's Action Scientists! Will they find a way to stop the Space Maggots before they pupate and rise out of the ground as Star Flies? And are these the only Space Maggots on Earth?

Stay tuned Action Science Fans!
Last edited by kedamono on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Return to “Shameless Plugs”