Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Oh.

That throws a wrench into my were-gamer idea.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:28 pm

No, it just means that we (as in the booters) are a tribe and this is our caern. :twisted:

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Don't get confused by the facts. Just take this as one more item of proof for your claim that you have an audient.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Audient Ideas with Alex

Dissatisfied Immortals plot against the heads of their own pantheon.

When a dispute among the gods reaches an impasse, what would happen if they turned to mortal justice?

Baby’s First Super-villain Lair! Now with added minions!

A heavy metal band is inexplicably being… …nice. Supernatural forces must be responsible!

The Big Red Couch is omnipresent, eternal, and unchanging. Also pretty comfy. You could go anywhere, but why would you bother?

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:14 am

The Big Red Couch as the comfy anvil of creation... while a hard drive is one metaphor, I'm more enchanted with the idea that you have to reach into the cracks between the cushions. Either you're fishing for some object in the multi-verse (think Bullwinkle's magic hat) or you can actually dive into the cracks between cushions/worlds and go elsewhere.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:02 am

An Unconventional War is a theme that automatically puts a smile on my face. So many ideas!

The world is on the brink of World War III. Social, economic, and political upheaval are daily events. With all this noise, its so hard to think let alone get some proper research done. So, all the wizards, witches, alchemists, and the like from around the world gather in Central Park to have a proxy war to settle all this nonsense for the next 100 years or so. The stakes are huge as empires (countries and corporations) could topple over night. What will the world be like after this Unconventional War?

I can see this as being two kinds of game. Either the players are magic usering players on the same team or they are mere mortals that get caught up in the events that can shape the world. [And it turns out that any proper magical war needs pawns.] I imagine you'll need a game system that has big colorful but at the same time subtle magic. This isn't a magic missile in the dark moment. Wushu Open would be a good choice since it draws power (to feed the dice pool) from the details that the players bring to their descriptions. The damage system involving Chi is also a good match for the spiritual battle that is about to take place.

Marcus pointed with his eyes at the little girl on the park bench. She had long black pigtails and lovely Asian features. Her silk dress was of an elaborate Chinese design. "Watch out for that one." The girl bobbed her head to the music coming from the phone in her hand. "That's Mai, she's a yazi, very dangerous." June lifted an eyebrow, "Yazi?" Marcus nodded. "Ancient Chinese war dragon, she could rip an armored car in half if it got in her way."

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Yes it was a fun episode to listen to. That couch has a lot loose change in its depths. ;)

So on to my Unconventional Warfare!

This is a war fought not with swords or guns. It's a war fought between two alien races over the fate of Humanity. It's hard to say if one is evil and the other is good. It's best to say that one represents The Galactic Federation of Worlds, the other, The Unaligned Free Worlds. We can call them Purple and Green. They manipulate events on Earth, with the ultimate goal of having humanity join their side. Yes, the machinations can lead to wars and peace, and happy endings and unmitigated suffering. In their eyes, the ends justify the means.

I would use Microscope for this game. Yes, it would be GMless, but that makes it even better. A minimum of three players: Purple, Green, Humanity. If you have more players, add extra humans first unless you have a multiple of 3: 5 players, Purple, Green, 3x Human. With multiple of three, you'd have 2x Purple, 2x Green, and 2x Human.

If you're familiar with Microscope, you define the start and end points. In this variant, you have one start point, but three potential end points: Purple win, Green win, Humanity does it own thing. The latter is undefined, as it will come out in play.

In addition, events are no longer "light" or "dark", they are now "purple", "green", and "mauve". That is, a Purple win, a Green win, and neither win. These wins are decided by consensus, so there will be lots of discussion over how the event was resolved.

The time period will cover centuries if not millennia, the whole course of Human history, and the interventions of the Alien races coloring them.

To determine who "wins" count up the number of "purple", "green", and "mauve" results for all events. Whichever is 25% more than the others, that one is a winner. If there is no clear winner, then it is definitely a human win, but not a major one. A mauve win, would be a definite human win, a statistical tie is just humanity eking out a place for itself, outside of either Purple's and Green's domination.

Now, it's possible to have a statistical tie between mauve and another color: If there is only a 5% difference between Green and Mauve, but a 20% average difference with Purple, then it would be Humanity and the UFW joining forces against the GFW. This sort of reminds me of Alan Dean Foster's short story "With friends like these...". I'm of a mind that this pairing might be one the UFW may regret.

Obligatory Story Pitch:

"Excuse me? Isn't that my world?"
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Episode Sixty Five – An Unconventional War

The world has woken up on full war footing. The enemy is known, your role is clear, but nobody knows why.

A “spoiler” convention has been scheduled a week ahead of yours. Go undercover in your best pointy ears and may’luch so you may move among them and undermine their plans.

Revolt in the orbital platforms teeters between sabotage and the catastrophic re-entry of the station.

….and with some inter-cultural exchange on the topic of Halloween.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Can't wait till your next Audient episode. Both Taz and I came up with some good scenarios for "Unconventional War". And we know your lead time for this! It was great to hear Mark Kinney on your show. Some good ideas from the boys on the couch, though I still think you need to get a certain Yum-yum hoarding member of the Gutterskypes on your show. ;)

As for the next topic, I am guilty as charged. "We're on the road to Heck. Please refrain from impeding our progress." is so Steampunky that it literally leaks tea and crumpets as it lumbers along. I can imagine it as some form of modern story set in the mythical steampunk era. Perhaps using Cogs, Cakes, and Swordsticks, since that is a very light system, that it wouldn't get in the way of players harrumphing and chuffing their way through those ruddy foreigners and Frenchmen. :D

Hmm, let's go with one set in the Sahara, involving sand pirates, Bedouins, and sandships. They are after an oasis that only appears once a thousand years and is rumored to hold a great treasure! (And death. Always death, can't get away from death even if one lays traps for it.) It's loosely based on the movie It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and yes, it's buried under the Big W. The players are not working together on this, it's race with the prize going to the swiftest and most devil may care individuals. They are the sand pirates, expat Brits, Gentlemen/lady Adventurers, all vying for this great treasure.

Can they form alliances? Of course they can, just remember it's every man for him or her self when the water hits the firewall!

And the Bedouins are protecting the treasure and wouldn't have any nefarious plans for it. No, not at all. :twisted:

And the Treasure itself? It's a MacGuffin. What it is, is unimportant to the plot. And a good GM, if he adheres to the trope, will make sure no one gets the MacGuffin.

Plenty of NPCs to draw on from the movie and properly translated into CCS. I can imagine the poor player or players stuck in an airship flown by a drunk expat British lord...

Obligatory Game Pitch:

You somehow are now in possession of the One Ring of Power.
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:36 pm

We ended up putting both "Unconventional War" scenarios into the "Road To Heck" episode, as Ben & My ideas sort of ... converged.
("Unconventional War" ended up being recorded a week early, due to a surprise Mark Kinney)

Looking at Cogs, Cakes, and Swordsticks, I find myself wondering whether there are any extremely British tea-rooms in my part of the world who have a rentable room. It seems somehow wrong not to have a teapot & one of those cake-stand things on the table during play.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”