Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby zircher » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:you know, I have a copy of Traveller: The Next Generation New Era sitting around here somewhere, ...

I'll just put this one in the 'Bonus Episode Material' bucket, shall I? :thumbup:

Please do! While I didn't mention a system in the original post. I'm thinking Bulldogs might be a good match.

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:20 pm

zircher wrote:
Pruthian Caveman wrote:you know, I have a copy of Traveller: The Next Generation New Era sitting around here somewhere, ...

I'll just put this one in the 'Bonus Episode Material' bucket, shall I? :thumbup:

Please do! While I didn't mention a system in the original post. I'm thinking Bulldogs might be a good match.

Bulldogs does involve fewer spreadsheets for spacecraft design, ...
Also, the idea of a foul-mouthed uncaring Urseminite Doctor has a certain appeal
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:23 pm

... and speaking of bonus episodes, ...

Bonus Episode - Boom Chakra Chakra

The Big Red Couch’s Foreign Correspondent, Taz, had a few ideas about the President’s missing Earth Chakra.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Nice SFX! It certainly added to the pitch. Love the direction you all took with it. I might have to run with this for MonkeyCon if we need more slots.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:15 pm

Episode Sixteen – Goblin Paradise

Kev mixes The Goonies, The Dirty Dozen, & a dash of Gremlins, all while wondering what, exactly, a Goblin Paradise might look like, and how you’d find one if you needed to.

Craig heads for the movie Labyrinth by a roundabout route, and contemplates both massive political upheaval and the Terrible Madness Of The Goblin King.

Ben starts with the French cinema during World War Two and ends up with an all-Goblin theater troupe.

Tonya traces the roots of the word ‘Goblin’, and takes us, through household gods and mine-spirits, to the last desperate search for a home for the scattered members of the Goblin diaspora.

lostclause
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby lostclause » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:43 am

zircher wrote:Why am I not following this podcast? I need to correct that tonight. :-)

My first foray into the shameless plug forum and I can't put it better myself. Wow, this is a great podcast. I tuned into the most recent episode and it was an interesting listen. Well done guys :D

Also good to see another NZer on the forums :thumbup:

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:53 am

For the home game:

I have to shamefully admit that I went full tilt for Amish Paradise. I just couldn't resist the visuals. But, I also tossed in the premise of The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey to explain how this came to pass. The story to be told is of a tribe of goblins that escape the wrath of bloodthirsty adventures by digging an escape tunnel that takes them to modern day Pennsylvania. Of course, the peace loving Amish people take them and introduce them to their religion and culture. In the beginning, it is a goblin paradise. They can walk the surface, work the land, live in peace, and are actually treated as equals in the Amish community. Of course, that dream can't last forever. Eventually the goblins will either discover the outside world or the outside world will discover them.

I'm charmed by the idea of the PCs being non-violent low tech goblins having to deal with the modern world (full of human con men, zealots, pesky reporters, social activists, and scientist types.) While it would certainly be played for laughs, it would also be a good spring board for a telling a number of stories about social issues as seen through the goblin lens. Besides the stories that you could tell of interacting with the Amish and modern worlds, I imagine that the climax of the story arc would be what happens when the previously mentioned blood thirsty adventurers come through the tunnel looking for that goblin gold and 'XP'. Will they pick up their abandoned weapons or seek a different solution?

I'm currently in the honeymoon phase with Fate Accelerated Edition. So I see FAE being an easy fit for Goblin Paradise. The use of approaches rather than hard skill points and classes would be good for story telling and those fate points are always great for compelling goblin nature especially when it conflicts with Amish or modern values.

One thing that I would leave open is magic and if it works (perhaps leaving it in the hands of the players.) It's a doubled edged sword since if magic exists, that means the bloody adventurers might have their magic as well. It might be a hoot if a goblin shaman converts to Christianity but can still tap divine magic. "The power of Christ compels you!" How would the Amish elders react to that? Is it witch craft or a miracle?
--
TAZ

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:53 pm

Episode Seventeen – Message From The Queen

Craig imagines a strange & injured messenger arriving on a stormy night with a call to action,
Ben thinks the video itself is a doorway to change & revolution in a stark & sterile future,
Tonya sees the music video as the first part of an Alternate Reality Game,
and Kevin wonders what happens if very determined & resourceful people see non-existent hidden messages in your communications.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Episode Eighteen – The Graboids Take Manhattan

Craig is spectacularly unimaginative, looking at young Graboids wanting to tread the boards & see their names in lights.
Tonya imagines a world ruled and changed by Graboids, with scattered pockets of humanity making their homes in zoos, the last islands of non-graboid life.
Kev considers a Graboid-infested New York in The Days After Ragnarok, then moves on to the strange events aboard the colony ship “Manhattan”.
Ben, who has been working All Of The Hours, suggests The Graboids Take Las Vegas, and has some thoughts upon the difference between pitching a game and spoiling an idea.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 am

Running with Graboids in NYC, I'd suggest the game Dead Weight which is a Parkour vs Zombies game/RPG. It is a very easy stretch to replace the ground dwelling zombies with our cuddly graboids.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”