Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:41 pm

That's way better than what I was sketching during the episode;

Your one puts me in mind of the Shadowrun (1st edition) logo :thumbup:

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Hey, don't knock yours. That's inspired, mine is just photoshopped. :D
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:37 pm

kedamono wrote:Hey, don't knock yours. That's inspired, mine is just photoshopped. :D

Speaking of inspiration, we just finished recording episode 62, and, well, this is oddly relevant.
And not my fault.

I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:54 am

In anticipation of tonight's (U.S. time) release:

The Big Red Couch is eternal and unchanging. It exists in all times, places, and realities. Whosoever possesses the Big Red Couch has the power to shape Worlds. Assuming they can be bothered to do so. It's just so damn comfy....

Basically, the Big Red Couch is the furniture equivalent of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion. It recurs throughout the multiverse and all aspects of it are linked. Not all big red couches are the Big Red Couch, of course. And not all aspects of the Big Red Couch are exactly the same, but they are always big (perhaps just a little bigger than ideal for the living spaces they occupy), red (a red never quite in keeping with the local best practices of interior design), and extremely comfortable. Knowledge of the right technologies or magics will allow use of the couch to travel from one reality to another.

Obviously, the PCs own an aspect of the Big Red Couch. Beyond that point, I'm not sure what the adventure is. Maybe they accidentally get swept to another realm during movie night. Maybe they get embroiled in a conflict between factions that wish to use the Couch's powers for good or ill. Maybe they must protect it from an evil cabal of Home Stylists. Maybe all of the above.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Episode Sixty Two – BIG RED COUCH

The paths between worlds take the form of airport terminals & concourses extending into infinity.

A shadowy bureau charged with protecting the world from extradimensional horrors launches an investigation into what is OBVIOUSLY a series of coded messages, akin to a numbers station, disguised as an RPG podcast.

Faced with a presently-unavoidable catastrophe, Humanity sends out thousands of probes to find new things, get into new forms of trouble, and run endless simulations on whether the fix is useful to the folks back home.
Basically, virtualised Star Trek RPGers.

There’s an inexplicable Big Red Couch in the middle of a highway; Why?

To the creatures living within the warp & weft of upholstery, The Big Red Couch is their entire world.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:33 am

Another great episode! Also a crowded one as well! You could almost have run a game with that crowd.

Wait...

You did. The Big Red Couch game. You should write up the rules and publish it. :D

Now, I've already posted what I would have done in that episode, so now I have to tackle your next pitch: Donut Tax Outrage!

Hmm, not a topic that lends itself readily to examination. Nope, time to put on the Silly Hat and go whole hog gonzo!

Welcome to
The Land of Cuisinaria!

In the land of Cuisinaria, food is both king and art! Chefs rule this land of food and fun! Where a good meal is just a step away and no one worries about getting fat or having high cholesterol! A land of milk and honey as well as chocolate and butter icing! A place of roast pork, wrapped in bacon, stuffed with pancetta!

Many small "Cafe Kingdoms" dot the land, and the largest of all is the Kingdom of Dinnerell. Ruled by the Chef-King Bo Radi, it is a prosperous kingdom, where the people cook and serve and enjoy themselves with big meals! Backed by his Knights Du Sous-Chef, Chef-King Radi serves dinner to his people everyday, buffet style!

Alas, this is the most expensive form of feasting, as not everything is eaten. So much so, that the hogs feast well afterwards. Chef-King Radi is finding that he can't operate the Royal Buffet just on tips alone! He realized that he either will have to charge for the buffet or... levy a tax.

But what could he tax? Not the crops, he himself has a large royal garden and the royal herb garden! And not serving food, as he does this as well. What could he tax?

While considering this, Cedric Procédé Narratif, the Royal Exchequer, visited the Chef-King, whilst the latter was in contemplation of a tax. "M'lord, your deliciousness, we are most desperately running low on funds to maintain the Knights and the servers for your Royal Buffet. Perhaps we should limit it to the noble chefs of the realm?"

"No," replied Bo, "once given, it cannot be taken back. My father served Swedish Meatballs for dinner, as did his father, and his father before him. We are honor bound to serve dinner to the people of Dinnerell... *sniff* Cedric, what's in that bag?"

Cedric held up the white paper bag with a round logo printed in red on it, with the words "Dunnikin Doughnuts" printed in brown across the logo. "Ah, it's from the Kingdom of Dunnies. A fried dough confectionary of sorts." He reaches into the bag an removes a ring of fried dough liberally dipped in sugar icing. "They are quite delicious M'lord. Care for one?"

Bo reached into the proffered bag and removed a fried dough ring topped with a chocolate ganache and rainbow sprinkles. Taking a bite, he nodded appreciatively. Swallowing, he said, "Yes, very tasty..." he paused in thought. "You say its a "foreign" food?" His eyes grew bright in greed.

Soon the people of Dinnerell were all a twitter. Their Chef-King had decreed a tax on all foods of foreign origin sold to the people of his Cafe Kingdom. "Foreign" was defined as a food not cooked by Chef-King Bo Radi himself. Since he cooked every dish in the kingdom save the aforementioned fried dough pastries, the tax was almost exclusively on the pastries served at the various Dunnikin Doughnut cafes.

This definitely raised the ire of the Dunnikins who had moved to Dinnerell seeking a better life.

And this is where the game begins. The players are either Dunnikins running one of these cafes or their loyal customers. Chef-King Radi isn't a bad man, just a man stuck with a duty he can't see a way to get out of. But taxing the consumption of the new pastry will cut into the profits of the Dunnikin chefs, and perhaps they might simply move out and that's that for Bo Radi.

So the game is about trying to find a way to lift the tax by any means, fair or foul. We're talking player characters here. I would either use the rules for Ryuutama (http://kotohi.com/ryuutama/) or my go to system, FATE Accelerated. If I did use Ryuutama, I'd have to come up with a cook/chef archetype, but that shouldn't be a problem. Ryuutama would let me and the players build the Cafe Kingdom together and define how everything works. Within that framework, we would run the adventure.

(Yes, I'm well aware of what a Dunnie and a Dunnikin are. Why do you think I picked those names? :twisted: )

Obligatory Game Pitch:

Don't think about the White Elephant
Last edited by kedamono on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:18 pm

kedamono wrote:
Welcome to
The Land of Cuisinaria!

:love: That is a fantastic idea.

Also, I'm editing the Donut Tax Outrage as I type this (so, more accurately, I am procrastinating over editing the episode), and am becoming more convinced that there are jokes in there I've missed because of how I've pronounced the words. As such, I'm kind of looking forward to the emails about Commonwealth Antipodeans mangling proper pronunciation. :)

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:
kedamono wrote:
Welcome to
The Land of Cuisinaria!

:love: That is a fantastic idea.

Also, I'm editing the Donut Tax Outrage as I type this (so, more accurately, I am procrastinating over editing the episode), and am becoming more convinced that there are jokes in there I've missed because of how I've pronounced the words. As such, I'm kind of looking forward to the emails about Commonwealth Antipodeans mangling proper pronunciation. :)

Oh yes, it's full of puns and the like. Chef-King Bo Radi = Chef Boyradee, a popular (ha!) canned pasta brand.

Swedish Meatballs are either a poke at Ikea or the now defunct Sweden House restaurant chain. It was chain of restaurants in the Midwest and Eastern US that had a "Swedish style smorgasbord", basically a buffet on steroids. And that's what did them in. You can't make a ton of food for a buffet without having a lot of wastage. It was cheap, bottomless, and ultimately too expensive to keep running. My inspiration for Bo Radi's plight.

And you should get "Dunnies" and "Dunnikins" it's from your big neighbor to the west of you. :D

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:38 pm

kedamono wrote:Chef-King Bo Radi = Chef Boyradee, a popular (ha!) canned pasta brand.

"Canned Pasta" is a horrible concept in & of itself, ...

I think I pronounced 'Radi' as Ray-Dee or Raddy most of the time, and I'm guessing it should have been Rah-Dee. :facepalm:
Oh well, strange accents are what makes the internet so much fun.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 pm

No worries, I have a problem pronouncing "Chef Boyradee" meself.

As the canned pasta... the less you think about it, the better off you are. :sick:

Return to “Shameless Plugs”