Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:46 pm

zircher wrote:Every time I think about going to GenCon, I think about all the people and then I get hit in the face with a big bucket of "Nope!"

I'd like to assure you that the crowds at Gen Con just aren't that bad. :D

Unfortunately, I'd be lying. :(

There are some known "crush of humanity" places & times, like anywhere around the Exhibit Hall when it opens or closes, and the Costume Parade route, and the Food Trucks on the hour when everyone simultaneously tries to get a quick meal.
Then there are the less predictable ones, where Cosplayers being photographed inadvertently block half the corridor because of the throng of photographers, or the same effect when people are watching a band.
My personal favorite in the "avoid at all costs" situations is the opening of the hall on the first day; It's impressive to see from the inside of the hall as they come flooding in, and the video I've seen taken from above just looks awful to me. Too damn many people.

I wish I could come up with a set of suggestions & plans for folks who're very much not fans of crowds to enjoy Gen Con, but I've got nothing.
The VIG Lounge, and I suspect the Quiet Room, give a place to step away from it for a while, but they're more of a decompression zone than anything else.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:28 pm

And I will point out that as long as you avoid the main hall and the dealers hall, it's no worse than a regular con. Especially out in the RPG boonies. It can get down right scarce in the hotels where they put the RPGs.
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:37 pm

Really?

Gen Con is the only big gaming con I've been to, so I don't have a good baseline for 'crowded'.

Been to some Worldcons, but even the biggest of those was still less than 20% of Gen Con, and the New Zealand SF & Fantasy conventions are lucky if they get more than 150 people.

Now that you mention it, the RPG spaces over in the Marriotts weren't overly crowded; Biggest groups I saw were the folks around Games On Demand, and the never-diminishing line at the JW Starbucks.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Episode Sixty – Have You Tried Resurrecting It & Killing It Again?

Fantasy forensics teams deal with evidence from beyond the veil.

Rival agencies battle for control via helpful necromancy.

If your world is built on the backs of the undead, what do you do when they start thinking for themselves?

The unkillable party. The unsurvivable dungeon. Fight!

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:32 pm

Just listened to "Have You Tried Resurrecting and Killing it Again?" The extended discussion of Zircher's idea also made me think of the Choose story-line from Skin Horse.

As for a pitch...

First a mostly pointless digression. My brain kept reversing the order to "Have you tried killing it and resurrecting it again?" Possibly because its more analogous to turning a computer off and on again. Anyway, resurrecting again clearly implies that you have already resurrected it (semi)successfully at least once. Which prompted the question of what, exactly, are you trying to accomplish with that resurrection that didn't actually happen the first time but you're hoping might happen if you give it one more try?

I never really came up with a good answer to that question, but it started a stream of consciousness that I am unable to adequately recall, but that lead me to this:

You were never all that keen on the whole "bring about the end of the world" thing.

OK, so it was technically treason to leak all that information the Hero of Legend that allowed him to penetrate the Fortress of Darkness, slay the Dark Overlord, and rescue the Child of Prophecy from sacrifice before the Abyssal Conjunction occurred, thus preventing the Final Ritual from culminating. Taking everything into account, you're having a hard time feeling that guilty.

The problem is, that tear in the fabric of reality leading to the Demon Realms isn't actually closing up like it should. In fact, you're pretty sure that its getting larger. There's certainly a hell of a lot more of those flesh eating beetles around than there was last week. Apparently, whatever the Dark Overlord set into motion, its going to take more than a lunkhead with chiseled abs and a sword to fix it.

God help us, we're going to have break out the manual...

The players are former minions of the Dark Overlord, on a quest to prevent the world from ending in fire, death, and madness. This is complicated by the fact that the one guy who new what he was doing is now dead, and everyone else believes that the party is, in fact, evil.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm reminded of the two novels, Farthest Star and Wall Around A Star by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson, used a scan and copy method of sending people to other stars. You step into the booth and it copies you and sends you to another star where a receiver waits. If I remember correctly, the receiver can store the information and pump out copies as needed. So in a sense, it's like Rogue Moon, but I believe it operates at light speed, so there's no FTL. Also, you can never come back. Just send information back.

Part of the first book has the protagonist on a ship in transit, busily trying to build a faster probe to send to the MacGuffin. The crew of the ship all die when they launch the probe, thanks to its higher energy engines. Then he's teleported to where the probe finally docks with the MacGuffin and the base the probe built.

I can see the crew of the ship leaving notes and information behind for themselves so that they can find out what they were doing before they died. And with today's technology, you can have them see their deaths in glorious 3D recordings!

I'd use FATE Core for this setup and the crew are all TPs from Earth or some colony world investigating ancient alien ruins. The ship in orbit stores their patterns and resends them back down to the shuttle craft, which somehow stays intact through all this.

Each PC has a biochip installed that let's the ship know if they are still alive. It's added in the reconstruction, no surgery required. Each session ends with a TPK for the for first couple of sessions, until they find what's killing them and start dealing with it. Then it's up to them to see if they survive or are TPed at the beginning of the next session.

As for next show, do you really have too many ideas from us folks?

Obligatory Story Pitch:

We're on the road to Heck! Please refrain from impeding our progress!

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:49 pm

kedamono wrote:As for next show, do you really have too many ideas from us folks?

Too many? No.
Enough for another Audient Ideas episode? Yes. Yes we do. :thumbup:

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Audient Ideas – Rainy Sunday Edition

• The (Elder) Gods are quite literally playing games with us, and it’s not going well; How do we fix that?
  • What would the Scooby-Doo team make of a Cenobite Puzzle Box? Or a Cenobite?
  • After the fall of the Old Gods, believers venture forth into the wilds of Iowa, under the aegis of The King, to quest in Elvis’ Name.
  • The Mystery Machine finds those who believe in the otherworldly, so that they can be spirited away to a more magical place. But not necessarily a nice one.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:17 pm

Episode Sixty One – I Am Now The Proud Possessor Of A Haunted Demon Amplifier

On this episode of the Big Red Couch;

A pub band must deal with necromantically faulty equipment, and adventurers travel incognito to protect their spoils.

The scarred veterans of a literal battle against disease face their foes, magnified to a human scale.

Goat Tranquility – Tonight! One show only! Doors open at 11pm, the hellish vortex at midnight!

Surviving minions of the dark overlord are force to save the world.
The only people in their way are the heroes who brought their former masters to justice.

Explorers “fax” copies of themselves into hostile environments, gathering clues with each successive, fatal attempt.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:25 pm

The official logo for Goat Tranquility!

Return to “Shameless Plugs”