Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:06 am

Bonus Episode – Gen Con 2013

Recorded two entire days after Craig got back from his Gen Con trip, this is poorly-edited and blatant filler no self-respecting podcast would be caught dead releasing a no-questions-barred hard-hitting investigation into One Gamer’s Experiences During the Best Four Days In Gaming.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Episode Thirteen – The President’s Earth Chakra Is Missing!

In which Ben imagines a crack team of crystal-wielding homeopathic commandos protecting the spiritual sanctity of the President;
Craig unleashes both sanctioned/competent and unsanctioned/kooky shadowy cabals of occult librarians;
Tonya imagines a ‘How to Host a Murder’ session about manipulating the soul of a CEO;
and Kev gets sleep deprived and rants about Voltron.

Along the way, we imagine a game where chakras are embodied in people… and what that might look like in the example of The Wire.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Bonus Episode - Our Listener Has Ideas!

TAZ had some ideas about our "Bond: Behind The Scenes" & "Starbutt Magichorse and the Existential Vacuum of Modern Acquaintance" episodes, adding a veneer of Class & Insight to an idea which really didn't deserve it.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:30 pm

You people are so good for my ego. :-)

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:42 am

zircher wrote:You people are so good for my ego. :-)

:D :D :D :D

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Episode Fourteen – I Hate This Village

Tonya introduces us to Autograph-Hunting in a village filled with Stars of the Silver Screen. And their relatives.
Kev wonders about the role of a Police Force in a village with more than the usual number of Mad Scientists, trying to stop a strange town from getting any stranger.
Ben considers Mad Science Rehab.
Craig wonders about the one place on Earth where all of this Weird-Ass stuff actually works.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Episode Fifteen - Space-Wreck Exploration

In which Kevin imagines the Stargasso of stranded ships, Craig wonders how to rescue colonists stranded by the march of progress, Ben contemplates asteroid-hopping miner-archaeologists, and Tonya has some thoughts on what you might find in a spacecraft graveyard.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:36 am

chiclothe wrote:And there’s a snake. A good one.

Gah! Snakes on a spaceship! Oh wait, it's a spam-bot. Well played, spam-bot, well played.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:07 pm

The crew pretty much nailed everything that I would have thought of for the village. But, I do have some ideas for the play at home game for space-wreck exploration.

The PCs are all part of a crew of a ship that is part salvage operations and part first-responder. Speed is essential since the first team on site has claims to salvage in the event that it is not a rescue operation. This isn't salvage in the sense of open seas owner takes all. It is more about claiming the ship for the insurance companies and getting a finder's fee, after all a space ship is a sizable investment. Which, of course, means that piracy has a profit motive as well.

So, you have a setting that's part medical drama, space wreck exploration, and anti-piracy (claim jumper) action. Add in all the human drama that come bundled with people in dire situations. After a couple of missions to set the norm, throw in some corporate espionage, perhaps a first contact scenario, or something wacky like space zombies.

Some setting assumptions:
* The players are probably based out of some station that has an extensive medical capability.
* Their ship is small and fast with some medical capability - think space ambulance but with a few guns just in case
* Space travel is common place enough that an ambulance service is a functional business model.
* Space is still dangerous enough that rescue operations are common place and there might be some competition.
* Travel times are short enough that a small craft can get to a distress signal and there is still a chance of rescue. Perhaps there's a inverse mass law tied to the interplanetary/FTL drive. The PC ship might be 90% engine so that it can act as a tug boat as well as an interceptor.
--
TAZ

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:35 pm

zircher wrote:The crew pretty much nailed everything that I would have thought of for the village. But, I do have some ideas for the play at home game for space-wreck exploration.

The PCs are all part of a crew of a ship that is part salvage operations and part first-responder. Speed is essential since the first team on site has claims to salvage in the event that it is not a rescue operation. This isn't salvage in the sense of open seas owner takes all. It is more about claiming the ship for the insurance companies and getting a finder's fee, after all a space ship is a sizable investment. Which, of course, means that piracy has a profit motive as well.

So, you have a setting that's part medical drama, space wreck exploration, and anti-piracy (claim jumper) action. Add in all the human drama that come bundled with people in dire situations. After a couple of missions to set the norm, throw in some corporate espionage, perhaps a first contact scenario, or something wacky like space zombies.

Some setting assumptions:
* The players are probably based out of some station that has an extensive medical capability.
* Their ship is small and fast with some medical capability - think space ambulance but with a few guns just in case
* Space travel is common place enough that an ambulance service is a functional business model.
* Space is still dangerous enough that rescue operations are common place and there might be some competition.
* Travel times are short enough that a small craft can get to a distress signal and there is still a chance of rescue. Perhaps there's a inverse mass law tied to the interplanetary/FTL drive. The PC ship might be 90% engine so that it can act as a tug boat as well as an interceptor.
--
TAZ

you know, I have a copy of Traveller: The Next Generation New Era sitting around here somewhere, ...

I'll just put this one in the 'Bonus Episode Material' bucket, shall I? :thumbup:

Return to “Shameless Plugs”