Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby kedamono » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:04 pm

Saw this image and thought, "My, this would make for an interesting game to play/run."

So here's the short version:

Supervillain forced to be a Super Parent of an underaged nemesis.

Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 pm

So for Scorpion Dancing, I've got two things.

One is a horrible barely-an-idea that came to me while listening to the show (I have no memory of what sparked it, just that I was listening to the show). Quite simply, it is a reality show that mixes Survivor with Dancing with the Stars. And yes, I do feel bad for even thinking of it.

For something less horrible and more playable, scorpion dancing from the very beginning had the sound to me as some sort of ritual combat. I poked at that idea for a while without getting anything resembling a plot, until I thought of Minoan Bull Dancing (or Bull Leaping) as an analog. Given the choice between giant scorpions or really small people, I gravitated toward the latter. At this point, I realized that I was basically mentally transplanting the Wee Free Men into the Mojave Desert, and I could either abandon the idea or double down. So what sort of adventure exactly would a bunch of bad-ass pixies get up to in the American southwest? I went through a mental list of middle-of-nowhere tropes and settled on a diner hostage situation.

Your band has settled in the vicinity of a last-chance-for-gas-and-grub business. The waitress makes periodic offerings of old french fries and the occasional milkshake. So when a bunch of panicky idiots on the run from the law pull out their guns and take over the place, you take it kind of personally. Take out the gang without getting any of the hostages shot. Bonus points if you can actually get one of them stung by a scorpion.

For "Have You Heard Of Our Lord And Savior, Craig Buchanan?" I almost immediately thought of those cheesy post-apocalyptic stories that have civilizations and religions that are based entirely around one thing from the present day like motorcycles or commercial airlines. I don't know exactly what the church of the Big Red Couch would be like, although I imagine the ritual of drawing from the Box of the Mysteries would be pretty important. Since I'm having a hard time picturing you guys inspiring a religion that would involve a lot of smiting, I'm picturing something more like a board-game where the players go around trying to win converts from the other wacky post-apocalyptic religions through the power of explanatory pamphlets and hosting community social occasions.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri May 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Great episode and praise be to our lord Craig!

It did inspire me to come up with another game pitch:

Indiana Jones and the Couch of the Covenant!

Edit: And a picture:

Last edited by kedamono on Fri May 19, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri May 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Episode Ninety One – “Have you heard of our Lord and Savior…”

A group find themselves unexpectedly deified, long before hitting the level when that’s supposed to occur. What did they do to deserve this accolade, and can they live with their future selves?

The quarry of determined pan-dimensional agent tries to throw them off the scent by making them the focus of this reality’s premier religion.

A gaggle of cultists attempt to get their unwilling messiah to accept the mantle of “Eldritch Chosen One”.

Everyone knows the name of the savior of the world, but no-one knows what they did or how they accomplished it. Dare you find out? Has the world saving actually happened yet?

In the wasteland left behind after the collapse of civilisation, one deranged cult based upon a niche podcast thrives due a single important point of difference; Not being arseholes.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Nice bit of dancing and dodging there, Craig. But, you missed one. Take any game that Craig has run and play it with just this one twist, the characters in the game know that they are pawns that can live and die at the whim of The Craig. What do you do (in game) when the fourth wall falls down? How do you keep your sanity or your faith?
Working on a big update to my hobby site; new content, better navigation, hopefully more mobile friendly. http://tangent-zero.com

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sat May 20, 2017 7:58 am

zircher wrote:Nice bit of dancing and dodging there, Craig. But, you missed one. Take any game that Craig has run and play it with just this one twist, the characters in the game know that they are pawns that can live and die at the whim of The Craig. What do you do (in game) when the fourth wall falls down? How do you keep your sanity or your faith?

So it's either the D&D Cartoon with The Dungeon Master replaced by a chubby geographer, or Labyrinth with sub-par singing, ...

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Sat May 20, 2017 9:38 am

Pruthian Caveman wrote:
zircher wrote:Nice bit of dancing and dodging there, Craig. But, you missed one. Take any game that Craig has run and play it with just this one twist, the characters in the game know that they are pawns that can live and die at the whim of The Craig. What do you do (in game) when the fourth wall falls down? How do you keep your sanity or your faith?

So it's either the D&D Cartoon with The Dungeon Master replaced by a chubby geographer, or Labyrinth with sub-par singing, ...

Why can't it be both?
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sat May 20, 2017 10:25 am

Burning wrote:
Pruthian Caveman wrote:

Why can't it be both?

Wreathed in mist,the GM appears!!

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Sat May 20, 2017 1:10 pm

See, you have a beard, you're a natural for this gig. :-)
Working on a big update to my hobby site; new content, better navigation, hopefully more mobile friendly. http://tangent-zero.com

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Sat May 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Yup, and hang a flashlight under your face so you get the creepy shadows... :twisted:

Return to “Shameless Plugs”