Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:26 am

Burning wrote:During the whole intrepid-explorers-of-the-heights section, I suddenly got the image in my head of a squid piloting its supermersible along the beach, coming to a halt when it gets spotted by humans, and thinking "If I hold perfectly still, maybe they will lose interest and go about their business." Which probably reflects my inclination that I'd actually be more into playing that game as the squid than as the humans.

We finally got this into an episode, and while editing, I was reminded of a Blue Planet game I played at Gen Con a few years back.
One of the characters was referred to as a 'Squid', so I grabbed that one, and was slightly disappointed to discover that it was a human who could breathe underwater, with only the standard number of limbs.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Episode One Hundred And Four – The Beige Invasion

Garbled prophesies of the modern social media world prompt a confused destructive intervention.

London is torn down the middle, with a modern city driven by electricity & electronics facing a parallel evolution, based on steam & clockwork, across the Thames.

A deep sea encounter with a sentient creature spurs a contest to contact the new life form, be they ally or enemy.

Infiltrators from the world beneath waves have perfectly been engineered to blend in… …as conscientious and painfully polite youngsters with feelings completely at odds with their mission.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Fun stuff! My game doc for T&F doesn't exist yet. I unfortunately missed my April 1st deadline. :-)

fantasy + post-apocalypse = The Green

The outbreak was first spotted by a Chinese spy satellite. When that machine died, they immediately blamed the United States. The US intelligence agencies did a collected double-take since they didn't take that bird down. Sixty minutes later, the Russians relocated one of their observation satellites and were equally dismayed when it died as well. The NSA vectored one of their own, but did not enter into the same orbit (they had better optics and signal processing.) What they saw was an uncharted oasis in the Sahara desert. But, something did not look right. On the second pass ninty minutes later, the oasis was five miles wider.

Allies were called and Egyptian F-16s were scrambled to the location. They reported a green carpet of lush vegetation, trees, running water where this shouldn't be any. When the first fighter crossed the border, the pilot's radio instantly died. Seconds later, his engine flamed out. The transition lasted only a few seconds and the jet crossed back into the desert air. The radio didn't turn back on, the engine did not restart. The wingman confirmed that his mate was still alive when the plane smashed into the ground.

The outbreak is still spreading, rewriting our planet. An E-3 AWACS jet orbiting outside the zone has detected giant flying reptiles, unsure if they are dragons or pterodactyls. Your team has been assembled to infiltrate the zone, find its source, and stop it before it destroys our world. Do know how to ride a horse?

Build of team of experts, get to the center, save the world or don't bother coming back.

I imagine that this would be a game for big damn heroes, so I'm leaning towards Fate as a system, although, Delta Green would certainly fit as well.
Working on a big update to my hobby site; new content, better navigation, hopefully more mobile friendly. http://tangent-zero.com

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:10 pm

zircher wrote:Fun stuff! My game doc for T&F doesn't exist yet. I unfortunately missed my April 1st deadline. :-)

fantasy + post-apocalypse = The Green

The outbreak was first spotted by a Chinese spy satellite. When that machine died, they immediately blamed the United States. The US intelligence agencies did a collected double-take since they didn't take that bird down. Sixty minutes later, the Russians relocated one of their observation satellites and were equally dismayed when it died as well. The NSA vectored one of their own, but did not enter into the same orbit (they had better optics and signal processing.) What they saw was an uncharted oasis in the Sahara desert. But, something did not look right. On the second pass ninty minutes later, the oasis was five miles wider.

We recorded this one on Sunday, and I kept getting more ideas based on your idea after we'd finished.

I also got way too mathematical and started trying to work out how fast the outer edge is moving away from the centre, and what that might imply.

By my figurings, at 5 miles every 90 minutes, the radius is increasing by 40 miles a day.
If they're on foot, they're not walking out until the growth stops, because they can't keep up.

Also, in a shade over ten months, that expanding outer edge meets itself, which probably means that New Caledonia is the last significant chunk of un-converted land to go. Given that " a green carpet of lush vegetation, trees, running water" more or less matches my memories of the place from 20-mumble years ago, it's possible that they won't notice until the first pterodactyl shows up
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 pm

So, by your math, it is a one-way trip. [steeples fingers] Perfect. :twisted:
Working on a big update to my hobby site; new content, better navigation, hopefully more mobile friendly. http://tangent-zero.com

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:17 pm

I mean, if they can harness one of the pterodragons, they could just fly it out, ... Assuming it doesn't eat them.

Think I'll be making some notes for the next episode; This one can be explored ... harder ... than we did.
Didn't even think of all the geopolitical angles it presents, ... :twisted:

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Actually, that speed is perfectly fiendish. It's about half of average adult human walking speed, so you can get out. Temporarily. But of course we assume that the boundary of the Green doesn't get tired and need to stop to rest or sleep... If you left a vehicle parked a decent distance away from the boundary, you've got a window of opportunity where you can chicken out, but the clock is ticking.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:37 pm

Episode One Hundred And Five – Fantasy + Post Apocalypse = ?

When someone on the ‘mad’ side of the Alchemist spectrum releases a self-replicating magic-consuming substance across the land, the high-magic realm swiftly grinds to a halt as Dragons stop flying & floating cloud cities crash into the ground.
On the plus side, the undead menace is gone.
On the minus, those beautiful crystal bridges probably can’t support their own weight.

The utterly generic Kingdom of Niceness has been at war with the entirely derivative Lands of the Dread Lord for centuries. It’s always been a low-key thing, with skirmishes and raids and very little change.
Until now.
Nobody backed down, nobody withdrew, they’ve used more & more powerful magics, it became increasingly difficult to tell the sides apart any more, and they’ve reduced themselves and everything in between to rubble.
As dawn breaks, the remnants of the garrisons on both sides of a minor mountain pass emerge from the cave they’ve been sheltering in, and wonder what to do next.

When a solar flare, or alien invasion, or assault be extraplanar entities makes the surface un-survivable, the denizens of a fantasy realm retreat to the only place left – The dungeons.

The world tore itself apart, and your small band of survivors from all sides of the conflict are trying to make their way in a world gone mad.
Or maybe you’re the ones who’ve gone mad.
Or maybe the world really has become this psychedelic fantasy-land?

A patch of primordial forest, with primordial creatures, is growing rapidly, shutting down any technology it encounters. Right now it’s in the middle of the desert, but if it keep growing it’s going to hit towns and cities.
Can it be stopped?
Can it be turned back?
And, without planes or jeeps, can you even reach the centre of the thing in time?

When a Fantasy Realm started to expand into the modern world, we turned to LARPers & the SCA to find a solution.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Looking at Taz's entry, I would like to know what happens when the green tide hits a town. If it's in the middle of the Sahara, that puts it in Eastern Algeria, probably between Tassili N'Ajjer National Park and Ahaggar National Park. There are lots of little villages dotting the desert. What happens when the green tide overruns them?

In about 4 days it would have overrun 8 villages. So, what happens to them?
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Late to the bandwagon of Fantasy + Post-Apocalypse = ?, I do have an idea for one:

It's set in a world where the Evil Overlord succeeds in his conquest of the Known World! Sadly, his seconds in command expected to have their own regions to reign over and not stay as second banana to the Evil Overlord. This difference of opinion led to a minor tussle... that pretty much trashed what hadn't been trashed in the very recent war of conquest.

You are one of the survivors of this war, you're a kid, 10-13 years old, not old enough to go to war, and old enough to know things and be apprenticed. Of course, you've spent the past year hiding from the unmentionable horrors that trashed your home and village. But they are mostly gone, and it's you and the younger kids who now have to survive. You have some food, but... it won't last. You have to plant some of it as crops and not eat it. Tubers and other root veg are your best bet. Hunting for something to eat wouldn't be out of question, but what's out there isn't timid forest creatures. At least it tastes like chicken.

For this, I'd use my One Page Wonder engine and set it up so the kids are now the village elders, and its up to them to keep the village safe. No Lord of the Flies, the kids have survived two wars and know that they have to work together and restart civilization.

Of course the Evil Overlord isn't dead, he's just off licking his wounds. And the Mighty Heroes™ are also still around, biding their time before striking back. Pray to your gods that neither find out you survived...
Last edited by kedamono on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!

Return to “Shameless Plugs”