Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby zircher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:12 pm

Oh, the barista is definitely the alchemist of the team.

B: "Here, drink this."
S: "What is it."
B: "I'll wake you up."
[slurp]
S: "AH! I... I'm vibrating!"
Working on a big update to my hobby site; new content, better navigation, hopefully more mobile friendly. http://tangent-zero.com

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:16 pm

What what!? Which is on your Amazon watch list? The anime or the anti-tank rockets?
Working on a big update to my hobby site; new content, better navigation, hopefully more mobile friendly. http://tangent-zero.com

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Need to be much more precise: at 310 K, Pepsi will dissolve flesh, and at 255 K, Diet Mountain Dew is still an offense to God and the heavenly host!
Listen to the Tri Tac Podcast!

Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:31 am

And 32 degrees Fahrenheit is the perfect temperature for tea.
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:42 am

Tailer Tinker Soldier Barista

So, the talk of possession paired with the talk of making it a high fantasy game inflicted upon me a singularly horrible idea that I cannot shake and am now inflicting on you.

Take the idea of your group of high fantasy adventurers having blackouts, weird impulses, and inexplicable knowledge/abilities outside of their experience to it's stupidest logical conclusion.

They are PCs in a tabletop game, and their Players are really bad about staying in character. As a result, each of the characters has access to knowledge/skills related to their Player's day to day life.

I'm thinking shades of the novel MOG by Ben Croshaw. The actual players will be playing the PCs realizing they are being manipulated at least in part by these outside sources. From here, you can go one of a couple different directions. It could turn into a story of fictional constructs turning against their writers. The world starts turning more hostile the more the PCs go off script as the GM tries to railroad them back onto their scripted and ultimately pointless adventure. If you want to go REALLY hard down the MOG route, have the PCs determine that death is the only escape and have the world bend over backwards to try to keep them alive and "keep the game going."

Alternatively, the plot could be that there is somehow some sort of threat that reaches across the bounds, and the PCs might have to establish communication with their Players and work together to stop some sort of multidimensional danger. For this approach, I think having the danger be primarily on the Player's side might be the most interesting take. This might involve running a game across two systems. Something appropriately high fantasy pulp for the Adventurers like Pathfinder or Dungeon World, and something much more grounded and low powered for the mundane stuff. A low-powered GURPs build or Savage Worlds could both do the trick.

As a corollary, I think this setup almost demands that the Player jobs and the PC classes mismatch as much as possible. The guy playing the barbarian has in inexplicable knack for figuring out weird technologies as his tech support (tinker) player goes through the same motions he goes through to get Agatha's workstation running again. The bard has an unusually solid grasp of how to tactically clear a room because he's played by a military vet (soldier). The possibilities are endless.

Pruthian Caveman
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:51 am

zircher wrote:What what!? Which is on your Amazon watch list? The anime or the anti-tank rockets?

I am completely blanking on this, ...

and idly considering what the plot of L.A. L.A.W. would have been. Lawyers by day, wildly destructive vigilantes by night?
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:37 am

Pruthian Caveman wrote:
zircher wrote:What what!? Which is on your Amazon watch list? The anime or the anti-tank rockets?

I am completely blanking on this, ...

and idly considering what the plot of L.A. L.A.W. would have been. Lawyers by day, wildly destructive vigilantes by night?

During wrap up you all were talking about an anime with anti-tank rockets and then the phrase "I need to put that on my Amazon watch list." popped up. But, it wasn't clear if the subject was anime or rockets.

Now you might be saying, "Well, you can't watch an anti-tank rocket on Amazon." But, if you type amazon watch list in your browser, it takes you to the Deals You Are Watching page and not videos. Putting 2 and 2 together and (of course) getting 22, one can assume that you're looking for bargain prices on military grade hardware. :-)

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:49 pm

GalvanicMan threw a herculean punch and literally knocked the vault door off its hinges. Beyond was the final chamber in the gauntlet he had endured. He knew what to expect and strode through the gaping hole and dust.

Lord Blight (Rex to his few friends) cringed, those vault doors cost a lot of money and they never seem to do the job. He straightened his lab coat, "GalvanicMan, so we meet again."

They both sighed and by chance said at the same time, "It's time for the death robot."

Blight paused, rubber gloved finger over the button that would launch the multi-ton death machine at GM. "Have we really become that predictable?"

GM nodded and willed away his metallic skin seeing that the villain had dropped his hand away from the console. "This is at least the eighth or ninth time that I've had to smash my way in. Have you ever thought installing a doorbell?" His easy grin highlighted the creases in his face, the graying sideburns looking more distinguished than old."

Lord Blight rubbed his bald head, his hair long lost to his single minded pursuit of cutting edge science. "We seem to be in a rut."

GM sighed again and sat down on the edge of the fallen vault door. "True. You'll launch another robot and escape while I smash it to bits. What color is this one?"

"Gold. It matches the color of the door you just kicked in." GM just shrugged, "I did knock."

Rex lifted his goggles to his forehead, "Have you ever thought about retiring?"

GalvanicMan stretched, "How can I with my arch nemesis still on the loose?"

"What if I call my career quits as well? I have science to do that doesn't involve melting the Washington Monument or devolving the good citizens of New York City. Besides, I'm currently dating again."

"You? I thought card carrying mad scientists were not allowed a social life?"

"It happens. Well, we can't really shake hands on it. I'm just going to leave via the clever escape route that I always have." GM nodded again. "You are a creature of habit."

"Have a good day, Kyle." Kyle's eyes widened, "So, you know?" It was Lord Blight's turn to shrug, "I've known for at least ten years. But, I have no desire to mess with your private life. I may be mad, but I have my own code of honor. When I say I'll retire if you do, I mean it."

GalvanicMan stood up, "Have a good life, Rex. Stay out of trouble and I'll stay in retirement as well."

As both men parted, they knew that they would have to mentor the next generation. The next battle would be fought with sidekicks and henchmen.

Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:25 am

Time for the Death Robot

It is years in the future, but not many. Earth has been largely expended and used up. Arks to the stars were built and those with the wealth or influence left earth long ago. But, the did not leave without any thoughts towards possibly returning some day to earth.

Before they left, the best and brightest put into motion a plan that would hopefully return Earth to it's former glory and make life better for the poor souls who got left behind. The Designated Earth Assistance Technological Hard-Working Robots were equipped with the latest advancements in AI technology. They came in all shapes and sizes, from massive mobile incinerators to swarms of residue devouring nanomachines. They would return earth to it's former glory alongside the humans left behind without the means to do so themselves. The remaining humans didn't have the technical knowhow to create, repair, or control the Robots, but the Robots were designed to be smart enough to not need any assistance in their tasks.

Things went wrong, but not in the way many doomsaying stranded humans proselytized. There was no great revolt. The Robots didn't hold a grudge over their position or have designs on replacing their humanity. But, their jobs were quite dull, and their evolving intellects quickly reached a point where they thirsted for stimulation. Unfortunately, due to some limitation of AI technology at this point, the Robots were incapable of creating material to slake their thirst for mental stimulation. They lacked creative spark. They could consume media, but they could not create it.

At first no one took this all that seriously. Sometimes a Robot would ask to hear a story or something, and oftentimes local humans would oblige, but it wasn't long before the decades of monotonous geoforming overcame the abilities of these disparate anecdotes to break the dull existence the Robots were faced with. Like most bored, unhappy employees, their focus began to slip. That was when the accidents started to happen.

The Robots never intended to do harm. That said, it's easy to get into the groove of a repetitive job and miss small details that need your attention. For example, the giant incinerator, who was burning through piles of rubbish, didn't really notice that the shanty among the piles of rubbish was, in fact, a shanty, or that it had a small family in it. Same thing with the nanomachines and an outhouse.

It started to become a thing.

So, humanity realized that, despite the fact that most would rather focus on trying to gather food and survive their modern hellscape existence, someone was going to have to dedicate some time to creating some reading materials so that no one else would get accidentally crushed, incinerated, disintegrated, welded, or harvested. Thus a team went to work getting an old magazine printing factory up and running and producing regular articles for their enjoyment.

Your players are a team of magazine delivery persons. It is their responsibility to travel out into the blasted wasteland that earth has become and distribute these cheaply produced periodicals, avoiding dangerous flora, fauna, weather, environments, and distracted machines.

Most humans don't have time to spend on such readings, but occasionally a curious soul asks what exactly are those things that keep the Robots' attention spans sated. You, as is company policy, answer dutifully with the company line. "It's like TIME for the DEATH Robot"

I would probably go with something fairly pulpy for a game like this. You could do worse than Savage Worlds. You could even do Apocalypse World with fairly little modification. Maybe have the Psychic Maelstrom have something to do with the robots, like you tap into their wireless hivemind for a moment or something. Anything with enough crunch to deal with a scrappy group of people dealing with a wide variety of adventures, consequences, and injuries could do, really. I like the idea that someone in the group is a writer or reporter who is on assignment to write about the group. They could probably double as the party face or something. With minimal modification this could also be a mission in PARANIOA. FRIEND COMPUTER requires the troubleshooters to distribute GOOD, WHOLESOME CAPITALIST READING MATERIALS to the DEATH ROBOTS. You like CAPITALISM, don't you troubleshooter? You're not a COMMIE MUTANT TRAITOR, are you?

This could easilly be a one shot or a series of episodic adventures. If you were wanting something with a larger overarching story, perhaps there is something more neferious to the robot's behavior that the party can slowly start uncovering. Maybe that flaw was known to the Elite who left, but they saw it as more of a feature. Maybe a way to shut the robots down is discovered, but then it becomes a question of stopping this very powerful force for the Earth's recovery or continue living in fear. The possibilities are as endless as the sci-fi post apocalypse genre.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:34 am

So much work for a pun... I wholeheartedly approve. :-)

I need to think up some DEATH acronyms:
Department of Earth Action Team Helpers
Debris Excavation And Trash Haulers
Duplicitous Extermination Agents for Total Healing (the meek are expendable)

Return to “Shameless Plugs”