Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby kedamono » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:38 am

Pruthian Caveman wrote:
kedamono wrote:Misread a NewsThump headline and came up with this game pitch:

It's a Mad Max Utopia!
Puts me in mind of an awful theme park, with The Bullet Farm and Immortan Joe's Castle.
And presumably The Lord Humungus' Hideout.

Of course, I misread what you wrote, and I'm not sure how, as "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad Max".

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I thought about that one as well. With 4 movies in the franchise, you have a your pick of places to go. The Thunderdome for some fun, the Pursuit Intercepter races, and don't forget the "Flight to Tomorrow-morrow Land" ride!
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Alleged Bonus Episode – In Which We Attempted To Make Characters For “My Little Pony: Roleplaying Is Magic”

Ben & Craig had some real-world events rear up and bite them in their collective asses this month, but rather than taking the merciful option and just staying quiet, they’ve instead chosen to present an artifact from the distant past, when Ben & Tonya & Craig attempted to make characters for “My Little Pony: Roleplaying Is Magic”.

edit: I thought the post looked a little bare, so I've added a title card
Last edited by Pruthian Caveman on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:00 pm

You happen to pick the worst of the systems out there. There are as many RPGs for MLP as there are fans. :)

Funny thing... there is now an official MLP RPG: My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria: The Storytelling Game

I have it and it's not a bad little system. Everypony should try it.

:deadhorse:
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:02 pm

kedamono wrote:You happen to pick the worst of the systems out there. There are as many RPGs for MLP as there are fans. :)

Funny thing... there is now an official MLP RPG: My Little Pony: Tails of Equestria: The Storytelling Game

I have it and it's not a bad little system. Everypony should try it.

:deadhorse:
Yep!

In it's defence, the game looks beautiful.
Every page is colourful & fun.

The rules?
Yeesh. Needed some work.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:12 pm

"If we don't go there, who will?"

<fraught silence>

"Apparently, not us."
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:02 pm

It might be a lousy system, but I bet the episode wouldn't have been half so funny with a good system. That was a treat.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 am

Burning wrote:It might be a lousy system, but I bet the episode wouldn't have been half so funny with a good system. That was a treat.
Yay!
Glad you liked it.

I'm about ⅓ of the way through it (Ben did the edit), and what I'm mostly thinking is "it's a good thing we were wide awake & on-form for that one".

------ editing to add -------

And the sheer number of times we've decided that something we said should be stricken from the record & edited out ... Well, it's higher than our standard episodes, but is about average for horrible content & concepts when we're playing.

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:33 pm

It's a nice filler even if the system sounds cringe-worthy. Wouldn't mind hearing more of the actual play...

While I'm not a card carrying Brony (leaning more towards Albedo Anthropomorphics and sci-fi), I was in a long PbP pony game that was a hoot. We made copious use of the pony designer apps and even used avatars so we had our pony faces match up to the text. If memory serves me, we used Wushu Open to keep it fairly cinematic.

[edit for typo]
Last edited by zircher on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36 pm

zircher wrote:It's a nice filler even if the system sounds cringe-worthy. Wouldn't mind hearing more of the actual play...

Glad you liked it!

Sadly, I think that's all there is.
From memory, the technical challenges of recording & editing an AP (or maybe just our perception of those challenges) was too much for us.

And, yes, the system was ...
Actually, if it had been explained better, with vastly better organisation, it might not have been too bad. It was basically "Add Everything Relevant And Roll", but with a lot of parts.

Apart from the Magic system, which was one of those cases where following the show too closely was a bad idea.

I did take another look at the book while doing the show-notes, and it's still a very pretty book.
Someone or someones spent a lot of time making it look fantastic & fun, and that's maybe the only reason we stuck with it, because it was so clearly someones labour of love.

Borborygmus
BABUSHKA!

Postby Borborygmus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:30 am

Pruthian Caveman wrote:
zircher wrote:It's a nice filler even if the system sounds cringe-worthy. Wouldn't mind hearing more of the actual play...

Glad you liked it!

Sadly, I think that's all there is.
From memory, the technical challenges of recording & editing an AP (or maybe just our perception of those challenges) was too much for us.

Yeah, we were still getting the hang of concept of Podcasting, and the cringe got to us. Also, we were developing a very micro-edit heavy style and the editors at the time had a limited pool of time and energy.

It ended up being an extremely entertaining game to run, even if it ended up tending bit dark for MLP with conspiracies, salt-lick abuse, an exiled species of bat-pones, and a whole child soldier / Manchurian Candidate thing.

Pruthian Caveman wrote:And, yes, the system was ...
Actually, if it had been explained better, with vastly better organisation, it might not have been too bad. It was basically "Add Everything Relevant And Roll", but with a lot of parts.

Apart from the Magic system, which was one of those cases where following the show too closely was a bad idea.

If there was one thing that irked me, it was the skill checks were a huge arbitrary stack of Stat + Skill + Job + Destiny + Mystic Butt-Stamp based on the conditions and the case made by the player, and it seemed both awkward and like it might encourage a degree of weasel words and obnoxious gimmicks in some players. (Not mine thankfully.) Or just endless repeated skill attempts on the "default" once the fatigue set in.

That could be "fixed" by building in narrative consequence or stakes into the mechanic, or an economy so there's at least some cool-down and variety. Whatever is most complimentary to the experience.

Very glad folks had fun listening to us flailing, though!
"No time to game!"
"Let's make a podcast about it!"
"Yes! That'll solve all our problems!"
http://www.hoarde.net/bigredcouch/

Return to “Shameless Plugs”