Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby zircher » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:29 pm

kedamono wrote:Sounds like we're doing "The Trouble with T.U.D.O.R." the game. :D

Actually, it's a perfect setup for TTwR: 1 character is Captain Plantagenet and the other 5 are the Plantageneteers.

My work here is done. :D

zircher

Postby zircher » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:43 am

BTW, Agents of K.R.A.M.P.U.S. - Knowledge and Responsibility Accountants for Moral Policing and Unfair Standards.

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm just reading in awe at what you're doing here, ... :clap:
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:I'm just reading in awe at what you're doing here, ... :clap:

Awe shucks! :oops:
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:22 pm

I've been having some ... issues ... uploading the episode, and because I'm a genius, I'd already deleted the rough cut we make for emergency purposes.

After trying the network at the High Street Hostel, Edinburgh, then Starbucks, then the Edinburgh free WiFi, then my cellular data allowance ... I'm starting to think it might be at the server end.

Hopefully we can get it sorted soon,
Craig.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 am

Episode Eighty Five – Captain Plantagenet and the Plantageneteers

A crumbling gentleman’s club and it’s equally crumbling members are called upon to defend the realm.

The disinherited sons and daughters of a fallen dynasty join forces to reclaim their birthright.

In a binary star system, the ancient machines holding the two stars apart are being tampered with, threatening (very literal) disaster.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:27 am

Nice episode.

I didn't have any ideas for this one in advance, but building on Craig's notion of "Captain Plantagenet and the Plantageneteers" being a sarcastic name, it occurs to me that it presents an opportunity to combine world saving with underdog sports team tropes. Clearly there already is some well funded, highly regarded super team already tasked with the defense of the realm. And everyone on it is just a bag of Richard IIIs. Instead of actually doing their jobs, they spend all of their energy harassing and insulting our heroes. You'd need to play it differently than a movie would. Watching them get curb stomped by the eldritch horror from beyond the walls of Tudor would be a bunch of tedious PC downtime. But they possibly could be made into an interesting extra challenge to be overcome.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Burning wrote:Nice episode.

I didn't have any ideas for this one in advance, but building on Craig's notion of "Captain Plantagenet and the Plantageneteers" being a sarcastic name, it occurs to me that it presents an opportunity to combine world saving with underdog sports team tropes. Clearly there already is some well funded, highly regarded super team already tasked with the defense of the realm. And everyone on it is just a bag of Richard IIIs. Instead of actually doing their jobs, they spend all of their energy harassing and insulting our heroes. You'd need to play it differently than a movie would. Watching them get curb stomped by the eldritch horror from beyond the walls of Tudor would be a bunch of tedious PC downtime. But they possibly could be made into an interesting extra challenge to be overcome.

Interesting - the Really Rottens to the PC's Scoobie Doobies or Yogi Yahooeys. :thumbup:

If I wanted to curb-stomp them, I think I'd set them up so that the players just plain hate them, have them steal the limelight (again) by riding out to vanquish the foe, cheered on by the adoring townsfolk and nobility and so on, and get smushed before they can draw steel.
Mostly because I'd really like to know what the players will do when, in the shocked silence, all of those people who never gave them a second glance suddenly turn to Captain Plantagenet & Company.

zircher

Postby zircher » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Pruthian Caveman wrote:If I wanted to curb-stomp them, I think I'd set them up so that the players just plain hate them, have them steal the limelight (again) by riding out to vanquish the foe, cheered on by the adoring townsfolk and nobility and so on, and get smushed before they can draw steel.

Insert the one singed and smoking bard, "It ate them. It ate them all." "So, why are you still alive?" The bard shudders at some unseen memory, "It... it left me alive to tell you people to never do that again." "And?" "And it said, send virgins."

That's when...

Pruthian Caveman wrote:Mostly because I'd really like to know what the players will do when, in the shocked silence, all of those people who never gave them a second glance suddenly turn to Captain Plantagenet & Company.

:twisted:

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:48 am

Episode Eighty Six – I noticed, to his rear, that the Alhazred Icon had begun to glow

The trouble with having a dedicated team who go spelunking through the dark paths of the internet in search of That Which Must Not Be Downloaded is that you’ve got to deal with what it does to them: How fine is the line between Burned-Out and Hollowed-Out?

What’s it like to be back at the Ops Centre as the strike team hits a Mythos Infestation, trying to keep the strike team alive as it all goes to hell, or worse, around them?

You’re the second-best, and the very best spare no effort to make sure you never forget it.

Why might a time-traveller need a 74-gun ship of the line? And how long does it take to sail home when you’re not really sure how the time drive works?

Abd Alhazred has been dead for centuries, but the revelations of blasphemous events just keep on coming, through the medium of an unholy relic; When the Icon glows, it’s time for Alhazred’s Angels to leap into action.

Battling Mythos threats would be easier if your guide wasn’t insane, out of touch, and overly fond of metaphor and hyperbole.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”