Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:02 am

No lie, I couldn't think of anything for the White Elephant prompt aside from how it sounds like the words of the internal monologue of many Mr. Johnsons in Shadowrun.

On an unrelated note, when are you two gents going to join us for Fear the Con?
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:22 am

Triggerhappy938 wrote:No lie, I couldn't think of anything for the White Elephant prompt aside from how it sounds like the words of the internal monologue of many Mr. Johnsons in Shadowrun.

Thinking about it, for a game in which the deceitful Mr. Johnson is such a common feature, I've never played in a game in which we actually investigated our employer. Seems odd, given that there are actual mind reading, or at least lie detecting, options available to the players which are at least subtle, if not undetectable.

Of course, extending that thought, maybe that's why Mr. Johnson exists; Someone to act as an intermediary to give the job out who doesn't know what's not being told, so cannot have their story broken by player investigation.
Which leads to the exciting option of a Johnson contacting the group at the worst permissible time to let them know that there's something none of them were told, the job isn't what it looks like, and how would they feel about an impromptu run to capture and kick the mortal crap out of the person who lied to them all?

Triggerhappy938 wrote:On an unrelated note, when are you two gents going to join us for Fear the Con?

Well, Ben has a great suspicion of the outside world, so it's not likely that he'll ever make an appearance. :D

I'd like to come to Fear the Con, and I've looked into it in the past, but it's always been too far from Gen Con to combine into one trip without getting a full US Visitor's Visa, and two trips from NZ to the USA in a year would be too expensive. And might be too close together for the Visa Waiver Programme, now that I think of it.

Now that I'm based in Europe, that cost drops significantly, so ... I'll look into it.
See how the visa/passport/employment situation pans out.

::edit::
No minimum time period between visits, so long as you can convince them that you're planning to leave again, and not planning to work. That's encouraging. :thumbup:

Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Episode Eighty Four – A Big Red Christmas

Indiana Jones and Santa’s Workshop.

Krampus isn’t just about beating people with sticks; It’s about sending a message.

The maintenance crew of a hibernating colony deal with a heist in the dead of winter.

What happens when you come out of stasis to discover that the wintering-over crew have gone a bit … odd?
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Some memorable puns in this one! Yeah! And I would kill to play a game of Indiana Jones and Santa's Workshop. I will say that in the old Terror Watch newsletter Bruce Sheffer produced in the 90's, he had a Bureau 13 adventure where B13 agents try to find "Christmas Land" before minions of the Brotherhood of Darkness™. Let's say that, much like Santa Clause Conquers the Martians, Old Saint Nick is never in true danger. He is a demigod after all.

So, it looks like another of my brain aneurisms was picked.

Captain Plantagenet and his Plantageneteers!

It's 1496, and House of Plantagenet is in disarray. Richard III is dead, and the usurper, Henry VII now sits on the throne with the traitor Elizabeth of York.

While the nobles of Lancaster and York vie for positions at court, their disaffected children can now look forward to a more low born life. That is, until the Lady of the Lake calls together the five most worthy of these children: Elizabeth Welles, Thomas Howard, Anne of York, Bridget of York, and Richard of Shrewsbury. To each of these youngsters she granted one of the Five Powers of England: Elizabeth was given the power of Mercy, Thomas the power of Might, Anne the power of Nobility, Bridget the power of Wisdom, and Richard the power of Absolute Monarchy.

When they combine their powers, they summon the resurrected spirit of Richard III as Captain Plantagenet! Together they fight the forces of Tudor and try to place a Plantagenet, hopefully one of them, back on the Throne of England!

I would use ICONS for the rule set, and each of the PCs gets powers that reflect their "Power of England". For example, Elizabeth has powers of healing and assistance. Richard has mind control powers, natch. Captain Plantagenet would be controlled by all the players as they see fit. He would have more stereotypical powers such as power blasts and flight.

The forces of Tudor... hmm, T.U.D.O.R.... naw, that's for someone else. The Forces of Tudor delve into the black arts and call up the minions of Hell to fight for them. So it will be a definite four color adventure!
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:40 pm

Of course, the True Unbound Dragons of the Old Rose (T.U.D.O.R.) don't see themselves as hellish minions. They swear no allegiance to the Queen and also seek to restore their house to the throne.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:36 pm

zircher wrote:Of course, the True Unbound Dragons of the Old Rose (T.U.D.O.R.) don't see themselves as hellish minions. They swear no allegiance to the Queen and also seek to restore their house to the throne.

Go Todd! Run with it!

zircher

Postby zircher » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:00 pm

What's to run with? It's just the old red welsh dragons of the House Tudor released from their centuries old sleep. They had no beef with the House of Windsor. And, the House of Stuart (their hated enemy) died off in 1807. But, now that the Plantagenet has risen, so must the old bones rise to put them in their place. Do they really look like red dragons belting out Welsh? Well, probably not... um, at least not on the outside. They do most of their work through the Thorns, the minions of the Old Rose.

[Imagining Craig saying, "Wherein John and Todd proceed to bastardize British history for their own personal enjoyment."]

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:30 pm

"But Look At the Booones!"

zircher

Postby zircher » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:26 am

[Insert pretty young thing with lips as red as blood and roses]

"Don't you be minding some dusty old bones." She waggles her shoulders in a most distracting way, "If you want to study some fresh bones, you know where to find me."

Did I mention that the Old Rose also has Petals? :-)

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:05 am

Sounds like we're doing "The Trouble with T.U.D.O.R." the game. :D

Actually, it's a perfect setup for TTwR: 1 character is Captain Plantagenet and the other 5 are the Plantageneteers.

Return to “Shameless Plugs”