Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:15 pm

zircher wrote:Well, if I ever have a large windfall, I'd love to rent a big red couch (and the space to put it somewhere in artist alley) and take it with me to GenCon just so you all could sit there and ambush/record random people. "Pull a card from the Mystery Box (GenCon edition) and make us a game pitch."

:thumbup:
Seconded!
That would be awesome. And terrifying.

With some good audio gear & judicious on-the-fly editing, you could make a ridiculously long "This Just In From Gen Con" type of show, or just annoy every retailer at once by trying to livestream it & eating up all of the wireless bandwidth.
(And by 'annoy', I probably mean 'discover how many of them are armed, and how many shots a laptop can take before breaking'. Not that I'd blame them :? )

is it a bad thing that I'm mentally assembling the gear list for Big Red Couch Live?
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:20 pm

"My work here is done." :-)

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:39 pm

:evil:
zircher wrote:"My work here is done." :-)

It was only when I found myself idly googling to try to find out the cost of a 10'x10' in the Exhibit/Dealer Hall at Gen Con that I realised that this idea had taken up a position in my mind.

This is after I'd considered whether 30 hours of podcasting was feasible (not if I ever wanted to speak again),
what sort of gear would be needed (I'm thinking a dynamic mic. with pop filter for each person, plus a condenser mixed way down to get the background buzz of the floor),
how to feasibly keep the thing running for 30 hours of alleged content (maybe do it as a team-up of multiple RPG Podcasts & Podcasters, so that there's always something happening, with a published schedule),
how to avoid overloading the wi-fi in the hall (record, then Sneakernet; edit if that's your thing),
and what arrangement of couches would be welcoming & interesting for the people wandering by.
:facepalm:

zircher

Postby zircher » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:15 am

:D :D :D

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:48 pm

I would suggest using Twitch, as I've seen it used for live broadcasts of marathon natures. However, dealer space closes for the night, so you'd need something in one of the hallways. And even then I'd suggest closing down for the night for the sake of your throat and sanity.

Obligated Pitches for this post:

The Tragedy of Little Miss Muffet

The Winter of our Discotheque

Space Hoboes!
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:06 pm

A couple of weeks ago I was a guest on the Big Red Couch, where we talked about games, the upcoming Savage Worlds Fringeworthy game, and of course the Game Pitch.

The premise for the Big Red Couch is that they take a game pitch submitted by a fan of the show and come up with a viable game from it.

For this show, it was:
"Supermax Kindergarten: For All The Master Criminal Children."

Have a listen to the show and find out how well we did!
http://www.hoarde.net/bigredcouch/?p=1421

Speaking of a game pitch:

You've trained yourself to be the pinnacle of human abilities. Now it's time to find out if you pass muster. It's time for the Test!

zircher

Postby zircher » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:59 pm

Woot! I'll have to put that into the weekend listening rotation. :-)

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:20 pm

Well, kedamono beat me to it (If I've got the timezone right, I was between an Atomic Robo RPG session and a QAGS session when the episode dropped), but here's the episode post;

Episode Fifty Nine – Supermax Kindergarten, For All The Master Criminal Children

The only way that Superheroes & Supervillans can keep their children from becoming the pawns in other people’s schemes is by putting them all in the one place, so that everyone, regardless of outlook, has a reason to protect them all.
Baby Steps; Trying to rehabilitate, or more accurately habilitate, very young metahumans.
Kindergarteners attempt a breakout from the high-security supermax environment they imagine themselves to be incarcerated within.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:57 am

Between me and Taz, we've come up with two related game pitches, something we've been tossing around on the Sunday Skypers for a future SFRPG campaign:

Space Troupers! An itinerate group of actors aboard The Bard of Avon traveling from system to system, looking for that next big gig.

Stage Hands! The crew of the The Bard of Avon hauling a group of actors from system to system, fulfilling a Imperial Charter to bring enlightenment to the masses.

zircher

Postby zircher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:15 pm

Dice chat. If I had to re-design the D100, I would fill the thing with fluid and leave a small air bubble. That way the bubble would immediately highlight which pit/facet is on top. No need for survey tools.

Dang it, Kedamono. You're making me crave some Harbor City super hero gaming again. :-)

Return to “Shameless Plugs”