Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:55 am

kedamono wrote:I'm reminded of the Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. series. It was both a sequel and a prequel. Not sure where it fits in the continuity, or even if there is continuity. It also implies Velma likes clams over snails. (Re: The cut bathing scene from Spartacus)

If I were to do something with the topic "Cenobite Scooby-Doo" I'd have it as a one-shot with the Scooby gang finding a puzzle box and trying to figure out if really works. (Of course it does... or does it?) I'd use my go to system, FATE Accelerated for this and leave it up in the air if the Cenobites are for real or just guys really into SM-BD.

You make a good point about the fact that no one has a problem with Scooby-Doo talking, or the other talking animals in the series. That's one mystery the gang never worried about.

I'm now imagining the Scooby-Doo gang investigating a Lament Configuration puzzle box on the assumption that it's another hoax of some kind, wildly misunderstanding the warnings, and attempting to unmask an increasingly-perplexed Pinhead.

kedamono wrote:And here's my pitch for this post:

Magical Girl Madoka vs. Aliens

That's fantastic. :clap:
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 am

zircher wrote:Kedamono, that's certainly a twisted mix. :-)

Game system idea for "Three weddings", MonkeyDome uses dice to either make your action grim or zany at the whim of the dice.
MonkeyDome wrote:In the world of MonkeyDome life is ruled by Grim Violence
or Zany Action, and either may strike at any moment.
Sometimes you just got to swing that shovel to see if you
can end a man with a sickening crunch, or knock him out
with “Dong!”

That sounds like a lot of fun; Is MonkeyDome a Mad Max/Thunderdome reference?

zircher wrote:What I thought I heard was "The Aegis of Elvis". So let's run with that...

ae·gis
ˈējis
noun
the protection, backing, or support of a particular person or organization.
"negotiations were conducted under the aegis of the UN"
synonyms: protection, backing, support, patronage, sponsorship, charge, care, guidance, control, guardianship, trusteeship, agency, safeguarding, shelter, umbrella, aid, assistance; auspices
"they had wrongly assumed that Lincoln Beach fell under the aegis of the Parks Department"
(in classical art and mythology) an attribute of Zeus and Athena (or their Roman counterparts Jupiter and Minerva) usually represented as a goatskin shield.

I'm imagining an urban fantasy (ala American Gods) with perhaps a soft apocalypse, the old gods are dead and new gods have taken their place. Give the world all the trappings of the near future, but use murder hobos, temples, and evil cults with your typical D&D meme. So, basically a re-skin of an OSR game with the players braving the wilds of Iowa on a quest given to them by the High Priest of Elvis (perhaps the players are Hound Dogs for the church.) [In case you want to go all Vineyards on the players.]

I'm now kind of regretting that we recorded on (local) Saturday this week, 'cause if we hadn't, I would have been able to bring this into the mix. I also had a crack at 'Aegis Of Elvis', but didn't think of the Old & New Gods approach.

After what I did to Dogs In The Vineyard with Scooby-Doo In The Vineyard, "Hound Dogs On The Mississippi" seems somehow kinder.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:29 pm

I didn't really have anything much good for the idea seed itself of Cenobite Scooby-Doo. Being disinterested in Hell Raiser, I kind of went in a similar direction to what was on the show referred to (awesomely) as "Scooby-Doo in the Vineyard," only with a lot less in the way of details. I kind of got hung up on the Cadfael mysteries, although I'm pretty sure he didn't belong to a Cenobite order.

However, a stray remark in the actual show sparked something Scooby-Doo-ish, but completely non-Cenobite. Ben (I think) started talking about all the things that Velma, Daphne, and Fred must be doing while Shaggy and Scooby are getting chased around, and it kind of sparked something similar to some of the results from the "Bond Behind the Scenes" show (oooh, episode cross-over :lol: ).

Anyway, the thought is that this isn't just an accident. Shaggy and Scooby are the distraction. It's they're job to convince Mr. Johnson that the hoax is working on the newcomers. You could run this two ways. The thought that the others are taking advantage of Shaggy and Scooby's natural cowardice and gullibility is just kind of depressing, so I started going in the direction that they know it's their role, and all the running around and screaming is part of the act.

But everything we see of the gang shows Shaggy and Scooby as a couple of cowardly, food-obsessed dopes. If that's an act, they're putting it on even before the gang "discovers" that there's something strange going on. This in turn suggests that they're not just happening on these places because they're visiting a relative or an old friend, or just taking a driving tour of creepy old towns. The whole thing starts to look proactive.

At this point it became impossible to not be tempted by Scooby-Doo Leverage.

Velma is clearly the Mastermind. Unfortunately, the rest of the gang doesn't fit quite so neatly into the archetypes. I've got some ideas, but they require you to squint a bit to work.

Scooby seems to frequently "accidentally" do something that knocks over the monster and buries it under a bunch of old tires or something. Conclusion: Scooby is the Hitter.

Shaggy is the Grifter. This fits in with the entire distraction part, and he's more verbal than Scooby.

I'm leaning toward Fred being the Hacker. If I recall, he's the one that often comes out with the various bits of background knowledge and figures out how the hoax devices actually work.

That leaves Daphne as the thief. That kind of works with the whole Danger-prone Daphne bit, if you think that instead of accidentally falling down the trap door or getting caught behind the sliding panel, she's triggering them on purpose (and possibly going off the rails in a manner similar to Parker in the Leverage TV series).

"The rich and powerful dress up as monsters and take what they want. We pull off the rubber mask and steal it back for you."
Last edited by Burning on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 pm

Burning wrote:I didn't really have anything much good for the idea seed itself of Cenobite Scooby-Doo. Being disinterested in Hell Raiser, I kind of went in a similar direction to what was on the show referred to (awesomely) as "Scooby-Doo in the Vineyard," only with a lot less in the way of details. I kind of got hung up on the Cadfael mysteries, although I'm pretty sure he didn't belong to a Cenobite order.

However, a stray remark in the actual show sparked something Scooby-Doo-ish, but completely non-Cenobite. Ben (I think) started talking about all the things that Velma, Daphne, and Fred must be doing while Shaggy and Scooby are getting chased around, and it kind of sparked something similar to some of the results from the "Bond Behind the Scenes" show (oooh, episode cross-over :lol: ).

Anyway, the thought is that this isn't just an accident. Shaggy and Scooby are the distraction. It's they're job to convince Mr. Johnson that the hoax is working on the newcomers. You could run this two ways. The thought that the others are taking advantage of Shaggy and Scooby's natural cowardice and gullibility is just kind of depressing, so I started going in the direction that they know it's their role, and all the running around and screaming is part of the act.

But everything we see of the gang shows Shaggy and Scooby as a couple of cowardly, food-obsessed dopes. If that's an act, they're putting it on even before the gang "discovers" that there's something strange going on. This in turn suggests that they're not just happening on these places because they're visiting a relative or an old friend, or just taking a driving tour of creepy old towns. The whole thing starts to look proactive.

At this point it became impossible to not be tempted by Scooby-Doo Leverage.

Velma is clearly the Mastermind. Unfortunately, the rest of the gang doesn't fit quite so neatly into the archetypes. I've got some ideas, but they require you to squint a bit to work.

Scooby seems to frequently "accidentally" do something that knocks over the monster and buries it under a bunch of old tires or something. Conclusion: Scooby is the Hitter.

Shaggy is the Grifter. This fits in with the entire distraction part, and he's more verbal than Scooby.

I'm leaning toward Fred being the Hacker. If I recall, he's the one that often comes out with the various bits of background knowledge and figures out how the hoax devices actually work.

That leaves Daphne as the thief. That kind of works with the whole Danger-prone Daphne bit, if you think that instead of accidentally falling down the trap door or getting caught behind the sliding panel, she's triggering them accidentally (and possibly going off the rails in a manner similar to Parker in the Leverage TV series).

"The rich and powerful dress up as monsters and take what they want. We pull off the rubber mask and steal it back from you."

:o
I'm going to go with my first, somewhat profane, reaction; That Is Fucking Brilliant. :clap:

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:42 pm

Gosh, thanks! :)
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:44 pm

Another pitch, from my friend Jon Kinarthy:

"A psychic medium who offers conjugal visits with the dead."
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:12 pm

Episode Fifty Eight – The Ages Of Elvis

• What threat could be so terrible that it requires a team-up of multiple possible versions of Elvis, and will they release a soundtrack album when it’s dealt to?
  • Don’t you step in that blue suede sector; Elvis-themed Paranoia
  • Can anyone truly say who an Elvis Impersonator is?

Will wrote in with some suggestions;
  • A zoo management games makes “Snake Style vs. Monkey Style” an issue of branding, marketing, giving the visitors the best experience, and given that it’s a competitive situation, probably some sabotage along the way.
  • Never mind the market for Soylent Bubba, what’s at stake here is the removal of defenceless cows from the Fast-Foodchain. and their replacement with cruelty-free soyburgers; Thus the Great SoyCow Heist begins.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:08 am

Wonderful show, and my comments about it are on the BRC website. So while listening to the show, a stray comment caused me to remember a game idea inspired by a Fred Hicks blog post:

"Everyone is playing aging knights of the realm. Weird supernatural shit starts happening. That's when they learn that by accepting knighthood they are heirs to an ancient, but very binding, obligation to do something about it."

My friend Sophie Lagace, is one of the designers of War of Ashes: The Fate of Agaptus for Evil Hat games, ran with the idea and came up with "The Knights of the Realm" where you play a character such as Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Elton John, Sir Paul McCartney, Dame Judi Dench, etc. and have to defend the British Empire and its Commonwealth from supernatural threats! We used the PDQ system, and had a blast. I was Sir Michael Caine and another friend was Sir Mick Jagger. To Sir Micks on the same team!
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 am

kedamono wrote:My friend Sophie Lagace, is one of the designers of War of Ashes: The Fate of Agaptus for Evil Hat games, ran with the idea and came up with "The Knights of the Realm" where you play a character such as Sir Ian McKellen, Sir Elton John, Sir Paul McCartney, Dame Judi Dench, etc. and have to defend the British Empire and its Commonwealth from supernatural threats! We used the PDQ system, and had a blast. I was Sir Michael Caine and another friend was Sir Mick Jagger. To Sir Micks on the same team!

A quick trawl through Wikipedia demonstrated how maddeningly complex the whole 'Knight' thing is under the Commonwealth system. Spike Milligan could well count.
So might Bill Gates.

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:51 am

Well, if I ever have a large windfall, I'd love to rent a big red couch (and the space to put it somewhere in artist alley) and take it with me to GenCon just so you all could sit there and ambush/record random people. "Pull a card from the Mystery Box (GenCon edition) and make us a game pitch."

Return to “Shameless Plugs”