Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

If you want to advertise something of interest to our community, please do it here.
Pruthian Caveman
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Re: Big Red Couch Podcast - Turning Bad Ideas Into Games

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri May 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Episode Fifty Four – Is There A Market For Soylent Bubba?

In this episode, we review The Dresden Files RPG Volume 3: The Paranet Papers, discover that there are gaming ideas that we’re not prepared to play, run, or share a room with, and come up with a possible new segment for the Big Red Couch; Dumb-Ass Gaming Ideas.

We start the show, after some introductory yammering, with a review of The Paranet Papers, by Evil Hat Productions, who were kind enough to send us an electronic preview copy. The review concludes at about the 21 minute mark with a condensed version of our thoughts, and then goes into what we laughably call the content of our show, which contains such ideas as;

• An unpleasant corporation seeks trading opportunities between Alternate Earths, and will attempt to profit from anything.
  • What sort of monstrous things are you prepared to do in order to bring down an evil mega-corp?
  • The advantage of working for a cartoonishly evil multi-universal corporate entity is that idiotic & cartoonish methods of resistance are really quite effective.
I've somehow ended up in a podcast
The Big Red Couch - Turning Random Ideas Into Playable Games. Mostly.

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:14 pm

Episode Fifty Five – The Thirteenth Interplanetary Curling Competition

In our Most Canadian of Episodes Yet, we are joined by Rob and welcome back John.
  • A hallowed cultural event is dogged by a deadly curse. Can the Royal Space Canadian Mounted Space Police spare this year’s event?! And what happened to the last dozen?
  • An advanced and morally questionable civilization plays a game with entire worlds in the balance.
  • A physics defying test of skill and nerve becomes a matter of life and death when the Universe’s rules refuse to stay over-turned.
  • Asteroid mining is a difficult, dangerous, lonely, and cold. The games some of the miners play are even darker still.

Contains references to the noble sport of Curling. Described on the show by avowed non-experts as “like Sideways Darts with a Broom” and “a cross between Lawn Bowls and Housework”.

Triggerhappy938
NZB Leftenant

Postby Triggerhappy938 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:12 pm

So, I'm currently archive diving this show. Currently on episode 14 and going strong.
avocationalacademics.wordpress.com
Dan wrote:John Wells will probably kill you

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Triggerhappy938 wrote:So, I'm currently archive diving this show. Currently on episode 14 and going strong.

:D
Huzzah!!!

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:58 am

"Five political assassinations, four political collapses, my work here is done."

The Phone rang, the one that The Orders came from. The Agent proudly picked up, "X here."

The Voice replied, "Three political weddings." Someone slipped a manilla envelope under the door...

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:58 am

zircher wrote:"Five political assassinations, four political collapses, my work here is done."

The Phone rang, the one that The Orders came from. The Agent proudly picked up, "X here."

The Voice replied, "Three political weddings." Someone slipped a manilla envelope under the door...

I'll just go add this to the "Audient Ideas" bucket, ...

There are many things which make me a bad person, but the most recent is noticing the song possibility here;

Five political assassinations!
Four political collapses,
Three political weddings,
Two Noble births,
And a long-lasting political Dynastyyyy!!!
with apologies to "The Twelve Days Of Christmas"

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Episode Fifty Six – Five Political Assassinations, Four Political Collapses; My Work Is Done.

• A team of action heroes belatedly realise that they’re ushering in the apocalypse.
  • Manipulating the timeline, or possibly fixing it after someone else has messed with it, by killing off the responsible party in a non-suspicious manner.
  • Vigilante Justice Makes Me A Better Healthcare Provider.
  • What happens when your elite regime-toppling operative has a crisis of conscience before the job is done?

Pruthian Caveman

Postby Pruthian Caveman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Episode Fifty Seven – Cenobite Scooby-Doo

“Hey kids! There will be some really good adverts coming after this horrible cartoon!”
•A gang of “groovy kids” scour the land for an unearthly high.
•A cadre of spiritual debunkers conceal their true beliefs from one another as they look for their own dark truths.
•A travelling order of monks seek to save communities from evil and unmask frauds preying on the credulous.
•An animal guide ushers lost souls through purgatory.

Also contains three bonus audient submissions! Warning! Choking hazard!

•Will pitches a two part espionage extraction mission to a frozen prison for a political prisoner.
•Alex follows with a creature that is vulnerable to laughter and the quest find its nemesis. We do terrible things with the idea. Including clowns.
•Taz hears wedding bells ringing over the stabbings and bombings of geopolitical wet-work.

kedamono
Pat's Knob Polisher

Postby kedamono » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm reminded of the Scooby-Doo: Mystery Inc. series. It was both a sequel and a prequel. Not sure where it fits in the continuity, or even if there is continuity. It also implies Velma likes clams over snails. (Re: The cut bathing scene from Spartacus)

If I were to do something with the topic "Cenobite Scooby-Doo" I'd have it as a one-shot with the Scooby gang finding a puzzle box and trying to figure out if really works. (Of course it does... or does it?) I'd use my go to system, FATE Accelerated for this and leave it up in the air if the Cenobites are for real or just guys really into SM-BD.

You make a good point about the fact that no one has a problem with Scooby-Doo talking, or the other talking animals in the series. That's one mystery the gang never worried about.

And here's my pitch for this post:

Magical Girl Madoka vs. Aliens
Check out my game store: John H. Reiher Jr. Games

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:28 am

Kedamono, that's certainly a twisted mix. :-)

Game system idea for "Three weddings", MonkeyDome uses dice to either make your action grim or zany at the whim of the dice.
MonkeyDome wrote:In the world of MonkeyDome life is ruled by Grim Violence
or Zany Action, and either may strike at any moment.
Sometimes you just got to swing that shovel to see if you
can end a man with a sickening crunch, or knock him out
with “Dong!”

What I thought I heard was "The Aegis of Elvis". So let's run with that...

ae·gis
ˈējis
noun
the protection, backing, or support of a particular person or organization.
"negotiations were conducted under the aegis of the UN"
synonyms: protection, backing, support, patronage, sponsorship, charge, care, guidance, control, guardianship, trusteeship, agency, safeguarding, shelter, umbrella, aid, assistance; auspices
"they had wrongly assumed that Lincoln Beach fell under the aegis of the Parks Department"
(in classical art and mythology) an attribute of Zeus and Athena (or their Roman counterparts Jupiter and Minerva) usually represented as a goatskin shield.

I'm imagining an urban fantasy (ala American Gods) with perhaps a soft apocalypse, the old gods are dead and new gods have taken their place. Give the world all the trappings of the near future, but use murder hobos, temples, and evil cults with your typical D&D meme. So, basically a re-skin of an OSR game with the players braving the wilds of Iowa on a quest given to them by the High Priest of Elvis (perhaps the players are Hound Dogs for the church.) [In case you want to go all Vineyards on the players.]
--
TAZ

Return to “Shameless Plugs”