Ultimate Picture Thread

A central location for all of our still pictures. From what you look like to event pics to something you just want to share with us.
Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Re: Ultimate Picture Thread

Postby Burning » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:40 pm

Chad wrote:http://i.imgur.com/q5Va5RF.gifv

Maisie Williams - 5'1" – and Gwendoline Christie – 6'3" – rehearsing

So I'm 6'3" and when I did sword sparring with shorter folks back in the day it wasn't that they were faster or more agile that was the problem, they just never seemed to run out of energy. I really had to slow down my movements and change my strategy to keep up with them. Expend a large amount of effort only when I was sure I could end it or over power them.

Also when you have that much size on a person as Christie does over Williams you really have to hold back. If the smaller person manages to hit you it's going to sting but if you, as a larger person, go for a big swing and connect on them you could do some damage.

Of course they are rehearsing and don't do actual contact so it's a bit different but Christie has to watch herself a bit more than Williams does.

Nice. Of course it's hard to tell from a rehearsal, but the fight choreography looks pretty good to me. (Granted, I was an at best mediocre fencer, so I don't have an eye for the finest points.)
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 pm

Burning wrote:
Chad wrote:http://i.imgur.com/q5Va5RF.gifv

Maisie Williams - 5'1" – and Gwendoline Christie – 6'3" – rehearsing

So I'm 6'3" and when I did sword sparring with shorter folks back in the day it wasn't that they were faster or more agile that was the problem, they just never seemed to run out of energy. I really had to slow down my movements and change my strategy to keep up with them. Expend a large amount of effort only when I was sure I could end it or over power them.

Also when you have that much size on a person as Christie does over Williams you really have to hold back. If the smaller person manages to hit you it's going to sting but if you, as a larger person, go for a big swing and connect on them you could do some damage.

Of course they are rehearsing and don't do actual contact so it's a bit different but Christie has to watch herself a bit more than Williams does.

Nice. Of course it's hard to tell from a rehearsal, but the fight choreography looks pretty good to me. (Granted, I was an at best mediocre fencer, so I don't have an eye for the finest points.)

You have to imagine they have pretty competent sword fight choreographers working on a show that successful with that big a budget and with that much sword fighting :lol:
Have you found the yellow sign?

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm

tombombodil wrote:You have to imagine they have pretty competent sword fight choreographers working on a show that successful with that big a budget and with that much sword fighting :lol:

I'll admit standards have gone up as time has gone by, but this is not as safe an assumption as you might wish. ;)

:think: I might have to see how many sword fighting movies/shows I can stream for free and do a survey.

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Burning wrote:
tombombodil wrote:You have to imagine they have pretty competent sword fight choreographers working on a show that successful with that big a budget and with that much sword fighting :lol:

I'll admit standards have gone up as time has gone by, but this is not as safe an assumption as you might wish. ;)

:think: I might have to see how many sword fighting movies/shows I can stream for free and do a survey.

I guess they have a chart that tells them how much they have to pay the choreographers for 80% of the viewers to be mostly satisfied. It's not like it's a Martial Arts movie where the stellarness of the action is 90% of the reason people watch it.

Knaight
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Knaight » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Burning wrote:

I guess they have a chart that tells them how much they have to pay the choreographers for 80% of the viewers to be mostly satisfied. It's not like it's a Martial Arts movie where the stellarness of the action is 90% of the reason people watch it.

There's also the small issue of how if they make it really work for the people who know their stuff it's going to be nigh incomprehensible for everyone else.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Knaight wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Burning wrote:

There's also the small issue of how if they make it really work for the people who know their stuff it's going to be nigh incomprehensible for everyone else.

I mean, you can make it stylized (ie relatively departed form how it would ever look un-choreographed) but still mostly true to the form of the combat style in question.

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 pm

Knaight wrote:There's also the small issue of how if they make it really work for the people who know their stuff it's going to be nigh incomprehensible for everyone else.

A fair observation, so I should clarify that I don't want "realistic" stage combat. That would be dull to watch. There's two things in particular, though, that for me mark bad stage combat, and I think avoiding them wouldn't greatly complicate matters for the uninitiated.

1. Don't attack thin air. If the defender did nothing instead of parrying obligingly, the result should be injury, not a great swishing sound.

2. Don't have the parry come before the attack. The goal is to attack where your opponent is not already defending.

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:02 am

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:01 am

2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story