Fear the Comics

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Fear the Comics

Postby Glenn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:01 pm

Wayne wrote:
Glenn wrote:I jump all over the place for reading. Since January i've read Usagi Yojimbo, Rip Kirby (comic strips fro the 1940s), Prince Valiant, Taskmaster (the new marvel series), Alpha Flight (1983), One Piece (up to chapter 220), and a few other manga on the shonen jump app.

Taskmaster was great. I am also a big fan of Alpha Flight and have been rereading them lately.

I've only read the first issue. I'm reading it on unlimited as it shows up (i think #2 has been on there for a couple weeks.)

I love comedy books, its the stuff i find myself going back to again and again. Taskmaster works better for me as more of a gag character. I loved him in his 2000s deadpool appearances. I did not like his 2008 miniseries where they tried to turn him into some weird tragic villain type thing.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:04 pm

I don't typically read a lot of manga but Spy x Family and Sakamoto Days are two great series on the shonen jump app. Neither are pervy like a lot of manga can get. Both are pretty funny.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:53 pm

I read very little manga, I'm to Western in my comics appreciation. I don't watch much anime eithe rbut I have seen some of the "big ones" like Princess Mononoke, Akira, Robotech Macross.
That said I LOVE Lone Wolf & Cub which is pretty graphic at times.
Okay, I am a BIG Usagi Yojimbo fan but it really isn't mange but deals with the supernatural-samurai genre a lot.
It is NOT a furry thing but more like cartoon animals, which there is a difference.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:57 pm

I read a lot of manga for a while there. I will basically read anything by Naoki Urasawa. That man is brilliant and can really tell a long form story. Monster and Twentieth Century Boys are some of my favorite all time reads. My profile picture here is from Twentieth Century Boys.

I enjoyed Highschool of the Dead, Sword Art Online Progressive, and Tiger & Bunny. I am currently reading "Are You Lost?" and enjoying it. Bokurano Ours was a pretty twisted series but one I enjoyed. Oh, and I read Chobits years ago. Many of the ones I read have anime adaptions or in the case of Twentieth Century Boys a Live Action Trilogy. I generally don't include any of these in comic discussions though because my readership circles don't overlap.

It took me many years to get over the manga influences impacting American comics in the 90s before I gave them a fair try. It took longer for me to get over anime fans enough to really give it a fair try. I am a big anime fan now, but I don't ever push it on anyone. I know that all the anime people tried to sell me with were things that just did not hit my genre preferences. I am not a Shonen fan in general just a few exceptions.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 am

Post New Comics Wednesday 4/28/2021
So I got yesterday Fantastic Four #30 and 31 [My last physical issue but I got the code out and read it digitally.] and I must say that I loved it, once they got past the King In Black nonsense and into the very family oriented story it was great. Slott used the KiB stuff to inform the regular story and that worked very well.
BRZRKR #2 was a left turn in the middle of a left turn in a series that thus far seems to be a "pitch" for another Keanu movie. I was expecting some kind of Highlander riff honestly and what I got was something else. More very graphic violence for the sake of it. I know Matt Kindt is helping write this but I have no really read much of him before anyway. I think I have one issue left on pre-order and then I'm out. Meh.
X-Men Legends #3 [Digital] with Walter and Louise Simonson. The creators are the only reason I got this (I LOVE both of them but am a huge Uncle Walt fan). I wasn't entirely sure what was going on but I didn't care. It'snew Walt Marvel art. I want this done so he can get back to Ragnarok.
Beta Ray Bill #2 of 5. [Digital] Hokey smokes this was the best of everything I read yesterday. Gonzo, off-the-wall, science fiction/fantasy that was FUN. Skurge! Pip! Odin! That double page spread, cutaway of Skuttlebutt! Very Metal in all the right ways.
I am also in the midst of reading the superb graphic novel adaptation of Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. Being in Indy Kurt is a BIG thing here and we are reading it for our library adult only graphic novel book club. I've read the book twice and I have been a member of the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library and Museum in the past so I am kind of part of the target audience for this: 1. Comics reader, 2. KV fan, 3. Live in Indianapolis, 4. Work for a public library.
I will soon be done with the last of my physical floppy orders and will be at 95% digital in the next month or so.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:43 am

I bought SO many books this week. I'm still working through them. A few comments on ones I have read so far:

• The Nuclear Family #3- I love this book so much. It is my first read when it comes out. Very good mystery as to what is going on, great setting building still going on, and I love the characters. The art style is perfect for this book.
  • Beta Ray Bill #2- I am a huge Bill fan to the point of naming my Betta "Ray Bill" back when I had fish. I'm really enjoying the character exploration and interactions in the book. Unfortunately I just do not like the art at all. It doesn't fit the story to me and is really taking away from my enjoyment of the book. I'm not sure if it is just a stylistic choice that I am not caring for or if this is just an artist that is not for me. I will second the comment about the double page spread cutaway of Skuttlebutt though from a conceptual standpoint. So much to look at there.
  • Miles Morales Spider-man #25- This kicks off Miles' version of a Clone Saga. I have not been a regular reader of the character since they folded him into the 616 universe because as much as I loved him in the Ultimate Universe I feel he lost a lot by being folded into a universe with so many other Spiderpeople around. I did not care for this start to the storyline, but I am reminded of how much I do love the character. I disliked the book after he joined the regular universe, but maybe once this is over I need to give it another shot.
  • Action Comics#1030- I have been giving the new creative team a chance to win me over. I have not liked their story so far and this is the last issue I'm buying. It really was a solid individual issue, but it is starting a storyline that I just don't want to read. I am kinda done with Superman stories about his powers fading and him spending long periods off planet. Those just are not the kind of Superman stories I want to read.

I still have 9 new books left to read that came out this week. X-Men Legends, Fantastic Four, and Crossover are the ones I'm most looking forward to. X-Men Legends for those that don't know is gathering former X-Men creative teams and bringing them back together to tell in continuity stories set in the era that they were creating. The first story was a 90s story dealing with the Third Summers Brother(There are actually 4 now). This issue is during the era when the original X-Men were known as X-Factor. I loved that era and can't wait to see something new set then.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:59 pm

Wayne wrote:I bought SO many books this week. I'm still working through them. A few comments on ones I have read so far:

• Beta Ray Bill #2- I'm not sure if it is just a stylistic choice that I am not caring for or if this is just an artist that is not for me.
  • Action Comics#1030- I have been giving the new creative team a chance to win me over. I have not liked their story so far and this is the last issue I'm buying. It really was a solid individual issue, but it is starting a storyline that I just don't want to read. I am kinda done with Superman stories about his powers fading and him spending long periods off planet. Those just are not the kind of Superman stories I want to read.

I am LOVING the art on Beta Ray Bill, it has a very punk/Heavy metal (as in the magazine) style that feels a perfect fit. Otherwise I am with you, probably not for me, I like a cleaner style. But the panel of Odin carrying a keg just did it for me.
As far as Superman? :cry:
My favorite super character, hands down, like I said, my second tattoo is Superman. I have stopped altogether but I am finishing out the run of the current Superman, it will be a complete set at least. The bulk of my physical collection is Super-stuff, Conan,and Fantastic Four. I have floppies going back to 1963 of Action and Superman, I have trades and OGNs and all of that; I have all the Superman I need.

Wayne wrote: X-Men Legends for those that don't know is gathering former X-Men creative teams and bringing them back together to tell in continuity stories set in the era that they were creating. The first story was a 90s story dealing with the Third Summers Brother(There are actually 4 now). This issue is during the era when the original X-Men were known as X-Factor. I loved that era and can't wait to see something new set then.

I once got the supreme stink eye from Chris Claremont at a con because I told him that I didn't read much of X Anything if he didn't write it (Simonson's excluded) but for Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run which I loved. Knowing what we do now about Whedon now this is a moot point. Anyway he was so pissed that I mentioned that name because Joss wanted Kitty Pryde for his X-Men book when he was writing one too and couldn't use the character that he created.

Maybe Marvel could talk John byrne into releasing his X-Men stuff that he's been doing for free? I doubt it.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sat May 01, 2021 1:26 pm

The new Justice Society World War II cartoon comes with a Kamandi short as a special feature.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sun May 02, 2021 3:39 pm

Both Justice Society and the Kamandi special feature were both great. Both set up potential for future movies.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Tue May 04, 2021 3:20 pm

Wayne wrote:Both Justice Society and the Kamandi special feature were both great. Both set up potential for future movies.

I wasn't going to check this out but I really have to now that I know that there is a Kamandi short on it.

Return to “Written Word”