Fear the Comics

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Fear the Comics

Postby ScoobyThulu » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 am

I had this in General Discussionbut it belongs here.
I know there is a lot of nerd cross-pollination among Booters. How many Booters out there are comic/graphic novel readers and/or collectors? Show of hands?
I'm looking to get some ongoing comics discussion on here and to head it up meself if anyone is interested.
Let us know what you like or don't, what you are reading, what you collect, I for one will read almost anything but do not collect everything, favorite characters and concepts, favorite genres?
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Fear the Comics

Postby tombombodil » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:54 pm

I occasionally dabble in trade collections of interesting comics. I've never had a pullbox or anything, usually I'll get a recommendation from a friend and then buy the first time are and if I like I'll buy the next like 5 and work my way through em like a tv show backlog.

Never read many super hero books with some exceptions.

Some standouts I still own are Bone, Y The last Man, the firstb5 trades of The Walking Dead, the entirely of The Boys (yes even the really bad middle third), and a select dozen or so graphic novels like Whatever's Happened to the man of Tomorrow, Sandman, Watchmen, Red Son etc.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:49 am

I've got a long and complex history with comics. Current status... I'm not collecting or reading anything consistently right now. I'm sure that will change someday. I do still occasionally grab trades.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:05 pm

I'm always looking for comic discussion. My current status is that I read all digitally, am a weekly purchaser, and am on a weekly comic review podcast. I have Comixology Unlimited through Amazon Prime and I have DC Universe Infinite too. I also am on the press list for Image and get a bunch of their books but honestly hate reading in PDF form instead of using guided view. I also read some Manga as well. I am always trying new books and tend to gravitate towards Sci-Fi from the smaller companies and SuperHero from the big ones(cause that is about all they do).

My current regular books and I'm probably missing some are:

Marvel
  • Amazing Spider-man
  • Thor
  • Maestro War&Pax (Mini-series)
  • Spider-Man Spider's Shadow(Mini-series)
  • Non-Stop Spider-Man (Mini-Series)
  • America Chavez (Mini-Series I think)
  • Beta Ray Bill
  • Fantastic Four
  • Iron Man
  • X-Men Legends

DC
  • Nightwing
  • The Joker
  • The Other History of the DC Universe
  • Justice League (giving the new creative team a chance)
  • Green Lantern (giving the new creative team a chance)
  • Crime Syndicate

Titan Comics
  • Minky Woodcock #2.1: The Girl Who Electrified Tesla (Sequal to the woman who ties of Houdini)

Boom Comics
  • Power Rangers
  • Once and Future
  • Seven Secrets

Image Comics
  • Radiant Black
  • Karmen
  • Crossover
  • Nocterra

Aftershock
  • Project Patron
  • Nuclear Family
  • Miskatonic

IDW
  • Transformers
  • Transformers\Back to the Future (Mini Series)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Last Ronin (Mini Series
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:30 am

I have an overabundance of comic knowledge; I have helped teach classes on it here at my library for our yearly staff day. I have written a blog on it but really don’t pursue that right now.

To the bone I am a Kirby man, not a Stan Lee man at all. That is another discussion. When I was taking a Drawing from Life class my teacher who was not a comics guy but recognized the Kirby influence and even said as such, “Kirby guy huh?”

I don’t mind PDFs, and I don’t like guided view as that ruins the art of the comic book, what happens in between the panels and the gutters. See Scott McCloud’s “Understanding Comics” for more information on that.

So I am a collector of Superman, Thor, Fantastic Four (though I am near complete with that), Conan the Barbarian (have a 99% complete original Marvel run – some of those 90s minis were low print runs), Usagi Yojimbo, and certain runs of books that I love which most those are from my youth.

I have also made the Big Jump to digital.

Currently I am reading:
Thor (My wife gets the floppy, I get the code)
Iron Man
Eternals
Non-Stop Spider-Man
Beta Ray Bill
Black Cat (Again my wife gets the floppy and I get the code)
Fantastic Four
Conan the Barbarian (Will continue getting the floppy)
Usagi Yojimbo (Floppy)
Usagi Yojimbo Color Classic (Floppy and it is finishing up the Wanderer’s Road arc)
Scout’s Honor
Nocterra
BRZRKR (Just checking it out really)
Magic the Gathering (Again, just checking it out.)
I also get Star Trek stuff in trade.
I also love a good western comic when I can find one.

I also read a lot of more indie stuff like Harvey Pekar, Jeff Lemire and Gaiman’s Sandman (not really indie but you know what I mean).

You will note that there is NO DC. I am DONE with DC; I am not even getting Superman title anymore. The Bendis run was fun but it really was like that obnoxious cousin that comes over and messes up your room and stuff and the leaves. I HATE what he did with Jon “Superboy” Kent, and the secret ID thing was cool but now what? That’s like the Death of Superman story got interesting afterwards as now you are asking, “Now what?” We aren’t getting the Now What? When the best Superman stories of the last year were Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane series you have a problem. :soapbox:

Anyway, I am also selling large swaths of my collection, pairing it down.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:35 am

Wayne wrote:I am always trying new books and tend to gravitate towards Sci-Fi from the smaller companies and SuperHero from the big ones(cause that is about all they do).

My current regular books and I'm probably missing some are:

[*]Fantastic Four
[*]Iron Man

I try a lot of stuff from the library as it is free and it is what I do.
I was very apprehensive about Slott on FF but he has really won me over. I like that he is keeping it family AND cosmic.
And is it me but this current Iron Man series is all about IM getting his @$$ handed to him?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:40 am

I had no clue they were still doing Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. I read a ton of old copies of that from the library when I was a kid. In fact it was pretty much the only mom Sunday Funnies comic I was really familiar with before high school.

I remember really liking it but certainly pre-teen boys was the laser focused target audience lol

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:14 pm

tombombodil wrote:I had no clue they were still doing Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. I read a ton of old copies of that from the library when I was a kid.

It was an insanely funny take on Jimmy by Matt Fraction from last year, got stopped mid-Covid but picked up again and it is in trade as "Who Killed Jimmy Olsen."

Elevator pitch: Jimmy has to fake his own death in order to stop someone from really killing him. Along the way he takes a meta-look at his own history (Turtle Boy?), they ret-con his family history a bit and tie it into the Luthor family and it works, and he gets into a prank war with Batman.

The Lois Lane series is a big mystery that gets really weird and I don't want to to spoil it but it gets very, very meta about DC and their continuity shake ups.
Last edited by ScoobyThulu on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:17 pm

ScoobyThulu wrote:To the bone I am a Kirby man, not a Stan Lee man at all. That is another discussion. When I was taking a Drawing from Life class my teacher who was not a comics guy but recognized the Kirby influence and even said as such, “Kirby guy huh?”

I don’t mind PDFs, and I don’t like guided view as that ruins the art of the comic book, what happens in between the panels and the gutters. See Scott McCloud’s “Understanding Comics” for more information on that.

I believe that Marvel world we got could not exist without the collaborations between Stan, Kirby, and Ditko. They each brought things to the table and none of there contributions can be dismissed. Stan was the idea man and needed Ditko and Kirby to flesh out those ideas as well as provide the designs for them. The most important thing Stan brought to the table though was linking the books together and developing a universe out of them. Kirby would really be responsible for individual stories, but if it were all up to him in those days we would not have had returning villains, guest stars, or long story arcs. Those were concepts he adjusted to and came to appreciate because of Stan. On the other hand without him the individual stories would be drastically different and the characters would be a lot more flat and generic. There are a lot out there that praise or vilify among the early creators but the reality is that it was a collaboration and each brought their strengths. Being the public face was one of Stan's strengths.

I can understand your thoughts on guided view being more focused on the art. There are three of us on the comic review podcast and one does not use guided view because he does not like it either. I find that guided view drastically improves the experience of reading comics for me. It preserves surprises and autozooms on panels making them easier to see and read. Some modern creators like Mark Waid have really used the format and designed towards it. This is becoming far more common. There is always a book that doesn't present well in guided view, but for modern comics that is not the majority. This is something being considered during creation. I am more of a story guy when it comes to comics than an art guy. Part of that is that I just don't think visually.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:29 pm

ScoobyThulu wrote:You will note that there is NO DC. I am DONE with DC; I am not even getting Superman title anymore. The Bendis run was fun but it really was like that obnoxious cousin that comes over and messes up your room and stuff and the leaves. I HATE what he did with Jon “Superboy” Kent, and the secret ID thing was cool but now what? That’s like the Death of Superman story got interesting afterwards as now you are asking, “Now what?” We aren’t getting the Now What? When the best Superman stories of the last year were Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane series you have a problem. :soapbox:

I am so with you. I HATED Bendis's run on Superman even while acknowledging that his Superman dialog was totally spot on. I disliked the concept of an outside villain being responsible for the destruction of Krypton and also felt like the villain he created was so generic and flat that there was zero way I could care about him. Aging up and removing Jonathan from the book ended the family stories that I was enjoying so much and robbed us of countless stories that we could have had with Jonathan growing up. The identity reveal also just did not land with me. I have always said that both Clark and Superman are facades. The only time he is really himself is at home , on the farm, and in the fortress. He is trying to not give up Clark, but you just can't have a Clark as he was with the identity being public. Once again the dialog he gives about it was spot on, but it was like everything Bendis did just did not hit for me.

For me the best Superman stories of the last year were in DCeased and Injustice Year Zero. The Walmart superman books when they were released to digital were also really good. It is sad that to get good Superman comics you had to get alternate reality stories.

After a long string of horrible decisions and stories Nightwing is really good. He is one of my favorite DC characters and I could not be happier to have a good take on him again. The Joker is an incredible book. It is really a Jim Gordan book and not a Joker book. The Other History of the DC Universe is the retelling of previous eras of DC comics stories from minority creators and characters point of view. It is a difficult read at times but very impactful. It really isn't a comic book though. It has art and images, but the stories are told in prose form not through the blending of art and dialog. There is no dialog really just the characters telling their stories.

I have been mostly out of DC except for alternate reality stories for a while, but with Infinite Frontier there are those handful of books I am getting again.

Return to “Written Word”