Avatar the Last Airbender comics

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Avatar the Last Airbender comics

Postby tombombodil » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:58 pm

So I've seen the original series of ATLA probably 7 or 8 times all the way through, not counting all the time I watched it piecemeal on TV at my cousin's house in Jr high/high school.

One of the best television shows ever on many fronts (characters, thematic narrative, cohesiveness, creativity, writing, animation, a truly satisfying conclusion to nearly all it's arcs) and is pretty much only a hard pass if you're one of those types that just cannot get over the apparently mandatory "adult's faux disinterest" in anything with a thoroughly childlike sensibility, or anything made with a slightly younger audience clearly in mind.

Somehow I only recently discovered the ongoing comics series that is a direct continuation of the original show and is made in close collaboration with the original showrunners.

They are excellently drawn and very well written, with plots often just as consequential as the show's both in terms of character development and the overall narrative of the setting.

Each volume contains about as much plot as one episode of the original show, with each trilogy of volumes making up a slightly larger story with fun and charming little b-plots and character bits.

I really am astonished it took me this long to find these because I've been wanting more of the story of these characters since the original show finished and they are more or less exactly that.

On top of general vocal appreciation I wanted to use this thread as a way to get people like me who hadn't ever heard of them, or maybe had but passed them over, to give them a try so I'm not going to get into any spoiler laden discussions here.

Suffice to say they're not low-key sidestories or fluff spinoffs as I had first assumed. They're legitimate, worthy, Avatar: TLA stories that deserve just as much attention as the show (imnsho).

Also each volume is pretty short and they're lighter reads than most since they still skew slightly younger in terms of audience. I deliberately have forced myself to read them slowly so as to savor them, and I still got through the first two arcs in like 5 days; it's not like trying to get into something like Sandman.

In case it wasn't extremely clear, I couldn't reccomend them more highly to anyone who has seen the original show (you do kind of need to have done at least that, and probably worth a rewatch before getting into these if it's been a while).

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks
Have you found the yellow sign?

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Avatar the Last Airbender comics

Postby JediSoth » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:40 am

Do they have trade paperbacks yet, or compilations? I bought the Legend of Korra follow-up comic already, but wouldn't be opposed to adding more Aang to my collection.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:20 am

JediSoth wrote:Do they have trade paperbacks yet, or compilations? I bought the Legend of Korra follow-up comic already, but wouldn't be opposed to adding more Aang to my collection.
They were released as trilogies of ~80 page long Softback Volumes. I think there are like 5 that are complete and 1 halfway done? It's not too far from an entire season of the show worth of story.

I think each trilogy is also available as a hard back with all 3 volumes from that arch. Also they're all on Kindle.

Speaking of which I really need to get around to watching Legend of Korra. I've heard it's not as consistently great as the original, but has some of the best story archs in the whole Avatar Canon.

Lord Foul complained about my phones automatic sig so I changed it. - Sent from jizzmop 4040 using bollocks

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:32 am

tombombodil wrote:
JediSoth wrote:Do they have trade paperbacks yet, or compilations? I bought the Legend of Korra follow-up comic already, but wouldn't be opposed to adding more Aang to my collection.
They were released as trilogies of ~80 page long Softback Volumes. I think there are like 5 that are complete and 1 halfway done? It's not too far from an entire season of the show worth of story.

I think each trilogy is also available as a hard back with all 3 volumes from that arch. Also they're all on Kindle.

Speaking of which I really need to get around to watching Legend of Korra. I've heard it's not as consistently great as the original, but has some of the best story archs in the whole Avatar Canon.

Arc.

Story Arc.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:33 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

Arc.

Story Arc.
Every time I write it I flip a coin 8-)

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:34 am

tombombodil wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:
tombombodil wrote:

Arc.

Story Arc.
Every time I write it I flip a coin 8-)

Then cut the arch side off of your coin!
Last edited by Azhrei Vep on Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 pm

I am your father, Azhrei. :mrgreen:

"...with frikin' lasers!"

Return to “Written Word”