As I mentioned in Happy Things, I finally got my next fantasy novel, Summer of Crows to a point where I could send it out to Beta Readers and my paid editor/proofreader.
Things I learned:
160,000+ words is a SLOG to edit/revise
Tracking the phases of TWO moons with different orbital periods (28 days and 12 days) is a HUGE PITA and my editor hates me*
You have to get creative if you name a horse Socks because editors don't like it when characters retrieve things from Socks's saddle or clean Socks's hooves. In retrospect, it would have been easier to rename the horse.
This book was supposed to be done for Gen Con (I finished the manuscript's first draft in November 2018, before my wife's cancer diagnosis, but while she was dying of Fevers of Unknown Origin accompanied by Monoclonal Gammopathy of Uncertain Significance). Chemo put a stop to that crap, but she couldn't help until the worst of the side effects subsided in June... and she's still dealing with other side effects. Probably won't even get finished in time for GameHole Con at the end of October since my paid editor wants a month to go through it.
Oh well. Maybe I can have TWO books for Gen Con next year (I need to do a Zack Jackson 5, but the utter lack of reviews for book 4 after a year have me demoralized and unmotivated).
* Not literally