What's your current project?

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Re: What's your current project?

Postby ScoobyThulu » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:54 am

clintmemo wrote:
ScoobyThulu wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

Something like Diehard where the party is John McClane would be a lot of fun but I would have to figure out a way to show them that the cops outside the building are idiots just like they were in the movie.

Narrative cut scenes are one way to do it. Or have an encounter with the local militia/guard and establish their incompetence ahead of time.

Considering most D&D games are "Die Hard in a dungeon" anyway... You also might have player assumption, if they pick up on it, what scenario you are glomming your plot from and fill in those blanks.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:28 pm

"Die Hard" with magic and dragons. Nokatomi (sp?) Plaza is a royal family tower or wizard's tower or whatever. The PCs are invited to a holiday gathering and a bunch of Drow come in to hold the place up. If it's a Pathfinder setting then Hellknights show up to be the "F... B... I..."

My favorite part of a life in the practice of law is telling people to reeeelaaaaax, police action was inevitable and, as it happens, necessary.

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 am

Doing final edits on my fourth Zack Jackson novel before I send it off to my paid editor on Feb. 15th, and I'm committed to finishing this new World of Calliome fantasy novel (tentatively titled Crow Queen); I just sent off payment to get the map of the city started. It's going to be a perspective map, isometric, 3D looking... it'll be great. Now I HAVE to finish the book.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:21 am

Because of the RL stuff for our regular GM, my one-shot environment is going to be the game for the next month or so.
So now Law and Order: Hook Island is going to have a special 4 part mini-series! :D
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 pm

While I don't write with the goal towards novels, but I do write a lot for solo gaming which sometimes comes across as a short story or screen play rough draft.

My current project is play testing an Amber Diceless solo framework that I wrote.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ToddZircher/posts/DfUV451BUFk

Back in November for #SGAM2017, I also wrote up this play test of Magical Fury.
https://zircher.deviantart.com/art/Shadow-Princess-717099633

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:12 am

A completely new genre for me: something like weird-west, not quite horror, more like scare.
It started with a picture in my aunt's living room, a cow skull framed on some timbers, with polished horns still attached. I got to wondering why the horns were still on, and ...
It's to be a short story. It might just be actually short this time. I keep aiming for 4 or 5 pages but things do grow.

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 am

Zack Jackson 4 drags on. There's still a few more pages of final revision, then I can spend a few hours putting into InDesign and ordering copies for Gen Con!

I'm also working on a Species of Zack Jackson poster to display at my table (and there will be two pages at the front of the book with this information, too). I plan to add the species pages to the front of the other books, but that'll be after Gen Con.

JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Strela_999
BABUSHKA!

Postby Strela_999 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Right now, I'm trying to mix role playing elements into my already well furnished historical wargame armies. Fantasy elements or not, I'm trying to put something together that won't feel like shoehorned garbage, and it is really hard, because everything I've come up with in the last couple months WAS shoehorned garbage. :lol:

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Solo Gamer Appreciation Month is coming in November. #SGAM2018

The solo RPG community had a little vote and the challenges are New & Shiney and Hybrid Game with the community project being story seeds. November is also NaGaDeMon (National Game Design/Development Month.) I've got my eye on a rules lite game powered by tarot cards along the line of It's Not My Furture!
--
TAZ

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 am

I started hitting Crow Queen hard again at the beginning of the month with the intention that I would wrap it up by Oct. 31 so I could write Zack Jackson 5 for NaNoWriMo (or at least as much of it as I could). I've kept up a good momentum and am on track to have written over 50,000 words this month, but with the manuscript sitting at 113,000+ words right now, I know I'm not going to finish it this month. I always intended this as a single-volume, stand-alone novel and it's taking a little longer to get to the end than I anticipated.

Crow Queen is going to end up being my longest novel, unless huge swaths of it get cut in editing. I suppose I can always count everything I write for it in November toward NaNoWriMo, and if I finish, count the next project, too. Assuming I can maintain the pace with my wife's health issues coming into play.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Return to “Written Word”