What's your current project?

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

What's your current project?

Postby Leoff » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 am

What's your current project -- the one you think about as you're drifting off to sleep, that you look forward to working on right after breakfast/work/you get the kids to bed?

I've excavated my best copy of the fantasy setting I'm writing in the form of a tourist brochure, Welcone to Lake Tourdion! I wish I hadn't lost it for so long, but looking at it again, I see a) how much confidence I have in it, b) some gaps that need filling and dead weight that needs to be reassigned or cut out. Thanks to you good Writers' Guild people's comments, it had gotten quite a way to useful completeness, and it's going to be fun getting on with it.

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Re: What's your current project?

Postby clintmemo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:28 am

Making scenarios for my one-shot setting for my group - Hook Island.
They are stand-alone 5E games that have to run in Roll20 in a 90-120 minute window.
I baked several advantages into the setting:
1) The Setting is a large populated island completely cut off from any other civilization.
2) The island sits next to a continent populated with roaming forms of death.
3) The PC's are 1st level.
4) The PC's are members of the island's military and act as police. (There is a mandatory 3 year military service that everyone has to fulfill.)

It's easy to create a "Crime of the week" scenario.
1) You start at the crime scene
2) Look for clues
3) Interview the witnesses
4) Determine who (or what) the criminal is
5) Deal with said criminal.

Right now, I'm trying to come up with games that don't follow that pattern.

Leoff ran a mine rescue scenario in her game at FTC8 (?) that I really enjoyed so I am probably going to steal that idea.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Writing a league charter for a table top Blood Bowl league I want to get going.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

JediSoth
I am the story stick

Postby JediSoth » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 am

Bouncing back & forth revising the fourth Zack Jackson novel (Zack Jackson & The Secret of Venus) and working on my urban fantasy World of Calliome novel (2,000 years ahead in the timeline from my previous five World of Calliome novels).

And that's when I'm not wishing I could be working on something RPG-related.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

The Blue Bandit
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby The Blue Bandit » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Working on our...sixth (?)...book with my wife, a sci-fi romance. We coauthor romance novels under a pen name. She's good at keeping me productive :D
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Contributing author to Sojourn: An Anthology of Speculative Fiction Volume 1 and Volume 2

Daniel
Chris's Cane Boy and or Girl

Postby Daniel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 pm

Getting my feet wet again doing game design and world building. Nothing concrete at the moment, just lots of segments here and there, getting old muscles back into shape.
Daniel M Perez
Highmoon's Ponderings
On Twitter: @Highmoon

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:25 pm

November is #SGAM2017 (solo gamer appreciation month) so I just finished an actual play for Magical Fury. It's a Powered by the Apocalypse game about magical girls that I figured my regular gaming group would not be interested in. Had a lot of fun writing it up. I was also chuffed that the Lone Wolf crew decided to use my Zero Tarot web toy to generate the creative prompt for this year's actual plays.

https://zircher.deviantart.com/art/Shadow-Princess-717099633

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:39 am

I am hopefully going to play test "Savage Joe: A Real American RPG" soon-ish. It is a G.I. Joe Savage Worlds home brew that I am working on: https://thickskull.net/2017/12/13/random-encounters-knowing-is-half-the-battle/.
I want to have a "Knowing" derived attribute based on Smarts. What would happen is that it allows a small shift in the action that allows player to ret-con events, it shows preparedness.
Example: Stalker runs out of ammo but the player makes a Knowing check and is allowed to spend a Benny to say that he keeps an extra clip in his boot pouch "after that time things went sideways in Croatia" and there it is.
i am however open to other ideas as I haven't tested this out yet.
Also I am working on "14 Miles to Gotham City," a FIASCO game set in the Batman universe. The players will play ancillary characters: good cops, bad cops, politicians, goons, etc. The Batman and extended Bat-family affect events around them. I am contemplating action die for use of the superheroes.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am

clintmemo wrote:

A "bank heist" as it unfolds with magic users? A stand off sort of thing, they hold up the bank, things go sideways and now you have "Blink Dog Day Afternoon" or something.

Or

"Die Hard" with magic and dragons. Nokatomi (sp?) Plaza is a royal family tower or wizard's tower or whatever. The PCs are invited to a holiday gathering and a bunch of Drow come in to hold the place up. If it's a Pathfinder setting then Hellknights show up to be the "F... B... I..."

"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

clintmemo
Paid to GM

Postby clintmemo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:25 pm

ScoobyThulu wrote:
clintmemo wrote:

A "bank heist" as it unfolds with magic users? A stand off sort of thing, they hold up the bank, things go sideways and now you have "Blink Dog Day Afternoon" or something.

Or

"Die Hard" with magic and dragons. Nokatomi (sp?) Plaza is a royal family tower or wizard's tower or whatever. The PCs are invited to a holiday gathering and a bunch of Drow come in to hold the place up. If it's a Pathfinder setting then Hellknights show up to be the "F... B... I..."

Since I first posted that, our group has expanded our game window by an hour. That gives me a two-and-a-half-hour window so I can have much more complicated plots. Some kind of a stand-off or hostage negotiation would totally work as one segment of a plot so I have to keep that in mind.
Something like Diehard where the party is John McClane would be a lot of fun but I would have to figure out a way to show them that the cops outside the building are idiots just like they were in the movie.
2018 Goal: Learn to set goals.
Achievement Unlocked: Publish a Second Story
Sojourn Volume 2

Return to “Written Word”