riddles

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: riddles

Postby tombombodil » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:35 pm

Since no one has taken a crack at it and it's been a few days, here's the solution the the string riddle.

You light one string at both ends and the other string at one end simultaneously. Since the total burn time will be 60 minutes, even if it doesn't burn at a consistent rate, the string that you lit at both ends will burn for exactly 30 minutes.

Once the rope lit at both end burns through, the rope you lit at one end will be half-way through it's burn time-wise, if not length wise (the remaining half time-wise could be any length), so you light that rope at the unlit end, cutting it's remaining 30 minutes of burn time exactly in half to 15 minutes.

So you have 30 minutes from the rope you lit at both ends simultaneously plus 15 minutes from the second rope you started at one end, then lit at the other once the first was finished for a total measurement of exactly 45 minutes.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:12 am

tombombodil wrote:Since no one has taken a crack at it and it's been a few days, here's the solution the the string riddle.

You light one string at both ends and the other string at one end simultaneously. Since the total burn time will be 60 minutes, even if it doesn't burn at a consistent rate, the string that you lit at both ends will burn for exactly 30 minutes.

Once the rope lit at both end burns through, the rope you lit at one end will be half-way through it's burn time-wise, if not length wise (the remaining half time-wise could be any length), so you light that rope at the unlit end, cutting it's remaining 30 minutes of burn time exactly in half to 15 minutes.

So you have 30 minutes from the rope you lit at both ends simultaneously plus 15 minutes from the second rope you started at one end, then lit at the other once the first was finished for a total measurement of exactly 45 minutes.

That's a really nice solution. I have to admit it had me completely foxed. So simple, really... :facepalm:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:32 pm

Yeah it's one of my favorites for that exact reason! I first encountered it a long time ago in a science class. It took me and a couple friends the better part of the day to figure it out.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:36 am

keithcurtis wrote:I submit that flipping is not the same as standing on end.

The allowed interaction includes turning.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:55 am

Knaight wrote:

It's still a silly solution as the fact that you are blindfold will make it practically impossible to stand hundreds of coins on their edge without knocking them over, coins rolling onto the floor etc.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Knaight wrote:

It's still a silly solution as the fact that you are blindfold will make it practically impossible to stand hundreds of coins on their edge without knocking them over, coins rolling onto the floor etc.

Yeah, it would be more of a credible Gordian Knot solution if the original miss-statement of the problem was the problem, but with only like, 50 coins maybe?

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 pm

I further submit that some of these are logic puzzles and not riddles.

I know the answer to the coins problem, but I've heard it before. I still had to be told the answer.

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Postby Leoff » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:31 pm

So, I've gotten two possible riddles for my project (I need some riddles short enough to fit on a playing card).

What has more ears -- one rabbit or no rabbit?

No rabbit, because one rabbit has two ears, but no rabbit has three.

This was the first "joke" I ever bothered to memorise. I have been annoying people with it ever since.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:10 pm

keithcurtis wrote:I further submit that some of these are logic puzzles and not riddles.

I know the answer to the coins problem, but I've heard it before. I still had to be told the answer.

I mean, yeah I guess since a riddle is traditionally specifically a world puzzle? But I suppose I default to puzzles like those I listed because riddles that are, I guess what you'd call "classical riddles" usually require either hints, foreknowledge, or directionless and lucky lateral jumps in logic to solve.

To me they've become synonymous with "frustratingly obtuse". They remind me of old Adventure Games where realistically there are a hundred different solutions to the current puzzle, but you have to just trial and error your way to the one specific solution the designer had in mind, and logic, deduction, cleverness, and knowledge can maybe get you like 50% of the way there but anything past that it's just guesswork.

Now! I will grant that Classical Riddles work great in the context of a movie or book, where the person who knows the answer (author/director) gets to set it up and then tell the story of how it gets solved. But as encountered in video games, board games, or TTRPGs, you walk an extremely fine line when trying to make the riddle thematically evocative AND actually be an interesting word-puzzle and in my experience that almost never happens ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Postby Burning » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:26 pm

Leoff wrote:So, I've gotten two possible riddles for my project (I need some riddles short enough to fit on a playing card).

What has more ears -- one rabbit or no rabbit?

No rabbit, because one rabbit has two ears, but no rabbit has three.

This was the first "joke" I ever bothered to memorise. I have been annoying people with it ever since.

Nice Lewis Carroll sort of logic. I know a similar one. What's better? Eternal happiness or a ham sandwich?

A ham sandwich. Nothing's better than eternal happiness, but a ham sandwich is better than nothing.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Return to “Written Word”