riddles

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
User avatar
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit
Posts: 46463
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: riddles

Postby Lord Foul » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:57 am

clintmemo wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
clintmemo wrote:The obvious way to answer #1 is to start with a single letter and work backwards.

<tries 4 times and fails>

I find that result quite startling. :o


;) :mrgreen:



<looks at the word "startling" again and counts the letters. Once again realizes that isn't the joke that he is not getting.>

It is the joke you're not getting, but I took it to the next level and provided a nine-letter word, because I do so enjoy showing off... :mrgreen:

I
In
Sin
Sing
Sting
String
Staring
Starting
Startling

It also works with Starling in place of Starting.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

User avatar
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: riddles

Postby Leoff » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:40 am

Very nice! You've given me at least two riddles suitable for my project (short enough to fit on a playing card, for one thing, and word-oriented, for another).

You throw away the outside, cook the inside, eat the outside, throw away the inside. What is it?

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27605
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: riddles

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:05 am

Leoff wrote:Very nice! You've given me at least two riddles suitable for my project (short enough to fit on a playing card, for one thing, and word-oriented, for another).

You throw away the outside, cook the inside, eat the outside, throw away the inside. What is it?

If the answer isn't some kind of farm animal, like cow, pig, or goat, it could be. Chuck the skin, cook the meat inside. Eat the cooked meat, throw away the bone inside it.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit
Posts: 46463
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:23 am
Location: Great Britain

Re: riddles

Postby Lord Foul » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:39 am

Leoff wrote:You throw away the outside, cook the inside, eat the outside, throw away the inside. What is it?

I'd guess some kind of fruit or vegetable that is usually eaten cooked, has a skin that is discarded and pips, seeds or a stone in the middle. :think:

Or corn on the cob would work too.
"...with frikin' lasers!"

User avatar
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: riddles

Postby Leoff » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:51 pm

The usual answer is "corn". I hadn't looked at pigs the way Azh did.

User avatar
Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz
Posts: 6015
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: riddles

Postby Knaight » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:25 pm

Burning wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
tombombodil wrote:4. You sit blind-folded at a large table covered in hundreds and hundreds of coins, but you don't know precisely how many. Since you are blinded-folded you cannot see the coins, but you are told that there are 20 coins sitting tails-side up. The rest are heads-up.

You can move and flip and turn the coins as you please but you cannot see what you do, and, though you can touch the coins, you cannot tell heads from tails by feel.

How can you separate the coins into two piles such that each pile has the same number of heads-up and tails-up coins?

Are you sure that last line is correct? Same number of heads-up AND tails-up coins? :eh:


I am fairly certain that the problem as stated is impossible.

1) Seperate the coins into two piles with an equal number of coins.
2) Turn all the coins on their sides.
3) Each pile has zero tails and zero heads. 0=0

It's a bit of a Gordian Knot take to the solution, but it should technically work.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero
Posts: 13503
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Nova Albion
Contact:

Re: riddles

Postby McNutcase » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Knaight wrote:
Burning wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
tombombodil wrote:4. You sit blind-folded at a large table covered in hundreds and hundreds of coins, but you don't know precisely how many. Since you are blinded-folded you cannot see the coins, but you are told that there are 20 coins sitting tails-side up. The rest are heads-up.

You can move and flip and turn the coins as you please but you cannot see what you do, and, though you can touch the coins, you cannot tell heads from tails by feel.

How can you separate the coins into two piles such that each pile has the same number of heads-up and tails-up coins?

Are you sure that last line is correct? Same number of heads-up AND tails-up coins? :eh:


I am fairly certain that the problem as stated is impossible.

1) Seperate the coins into two piles with an equal number of coins.
2) Turn all the coins on their sides.
3) Each pile has zero tails and zero heads. 0=0

It's a bit of a Gordian Knot take to the solution, but it should technically work.

You don't need to equalize the piles. Just divide them up however, zero is always going to be equal to zero.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

User avatar
Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz
Posts: 6015
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: riddles

Postby Knaight » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 am

McNutcase wrote:
Knaight wrote:
Burning wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:
tombombodil wrote:4. You sit blind-folded at a large table covered in hundreds and hundreds of coins, but you don't know precisely how many. Since you are blinded-folded you cannot see the coins, but you are told that there are 20 coins sitting tails-side up. The rest are heads-up.

You can move and flip and turn the coins as you please but you cannot see what you do, and, though you can touch the coins, you cannot tell heads from tails by feel.

How can you separate the coins into two piles such that each pile has the same number of heads-up and tails-up coins?

Are you sure that last line is correct? Same number of heads-up AND tails-up coins? :eh:


I am fairly certain that the problem as stated is impossible.

1) Seperate the coins into two piles with an equal number of coins.
2) Turn all the coins on their sides.
3) Each pile has zero tails and zero heads. 0=0

It's a bit of a Gordian Knot take to the solution, but it should technically work.

You don't need to equalize the piles. Just divide them up however, zero is always going to be equal to zero.

True. Step one should just be to split it into two piles.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!
Posts: 9004
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:00 am
Location: Olympic Peninsula, Washington
Contact:

Re: riddles

Postby keithcurtis » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:58 pm

I submit that flipping is not the same as standing on end.

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27605
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: riddles

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:07 pm

keithcurtis wrote:I submit that flipping is not the same as standing on end.

Depends on how you get it there. And how very, very very patient you are.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress


Return to “Written Word”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests