riddles

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

riddles

Postby Leoff » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 pm

I need some short riddles for a project I'm working on, and anyway I like riddles and short question-and-answer jokes, so let's hear 'em.

Riddle: House full, hole full, can't catch a bowl full.

Answer: Smoke

Burning
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Re: riddles

Postby Burning » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:36 pm

What's red and smells like blue paint?

Red paint.
"Space is blue, and birds fly through it." - Werner Heisenberg

Cookie dough, ergo sum.

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:06 am

1. If you have me, you want to share me. If you share me, you haven’t got me. What am I?
2. A man is pushing his car along a road when he comes to a hotel. He shouts, “I’m bankrupt!” Why?
3. What invention lets you look right through a wall?
4. What word is shorter when you add two letters?
5. What gets smaller the older it gets?
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:24 am

1. I'd answer this one, but it's a secret.
2. Okay, stumped.
3. A hammer. A sledge hammer. A ball peen hammer. A power drill. A non-powered drill. A car. A truck. An El Camino. An SUV. A Station Wagon. A window. A door. A peephole. A large enough wrench. Brass Knuckles. The list goes on and on...
4. Shore
5. A corpse.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

GoodbyeSoberDay
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby GoodbyeSoberDay » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:50 am

Lord Foul wrote:2. A man is pushing his car along a road when he comes to a hotel. He shouts, “I’m bankrupt!” Why?
He's playing Monopoly.
Hello milky way...

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:53 am

GoodbyeSoberDay wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:2. A man is pushing his car along a road when he comes to a hotel. He shouts, “I’m bankrupt!” Why?
He's playing Monopoly.

Oooh, makes perfect sense.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 am

I've always found most riddles to be somewhat insufferable. There are some good-ones, but a lot of them feel like little more than arbitrary puns or obtusely described situations that you have to reverse engineer to come to one of many arguably correct answers.

In other words, I like riddles that are essentially word puzzles that, with a mix of logical deduction and intuition, lead more or less directly to a correct answer with a bit of thought and patience.

All that being said, here are a few of the riddles I enjoy that spring to mind. I'll post answers in a day or two after people have had a go.

1. What 8 letter word can have a letter taken away and still be a word, then have another letter taken and still be a word, and so on and so on until you have one letter left (which still is a word).

2. You are sitting on a raft on a pond. You have a bar of lead on your raft. You push the bar of lead off the raft and into the lake, where it sinks to the bottom.

Does the water level rise, lower, or stay the same?

3. You are given two strings that have been coated in oil. Each string will take exactly 1 hour to burn from one end to the other, but they are coated unevenly and do not burn at a constant rate. In other words, there are sections that burn a little faster and sections that burn a little slower, but they always takes 1 hour to burn completely.

You have a flint and steel to light the strings. How can you use them to measure precisely 45 minutes.

4. You sit blind-folded at a large table covered in hundreds and hundreds of coins, but you don't know precisely how many. Since you are blinded-folded you cannot see the coins, but you are told that there are 20 coins sitting tails-side up. The rest are heads-up.

You can move and flip and turn the coins as you please but you cannot see what you do, and, though you can touch the coins, you cannot tell heads from tails by feel.

How can you separate the coins into two piles such that each pile has the same number of tails-up coins?
Last edited by tombombodil on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 am

No. 2 is not so much a riddle as a science question.

I'm not up on the science of displacement, but my thinking is that it'll depend upon how much of the raft rises above the water level relative to the volume of the lead bar. I'm guessing it'll be equal, but I can't say why because it seems counter-intuitive to relate weight to volume like that. :think:

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 am

Lord Foul wrote:I'm not up on the science of displacement, but my thinking is that it'll depend upon how much of the raft rises above the water level relative to the volume of the lead bar. I'm guessing it'll be equal, but I can't say why because it seems counter-intuitive to relate weight to volume like that. :think:

If the bar is floating (in this case because the raft is lifting it) it displaces a volume of water that has the same mass as the bar. If it's dropped in the water it displaces a volume of water that has the same volume as the bar. It thus displaces less water when dropped, so the water level lowers. Basically it's a buoyancy question.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

Lord Foul

Postby Lord Foul » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:05 am

tombombodil wrote:4. You sit blind-folded at a large table covered in hundreds and hundreds of coins, but you don't know precisely how many. Since you are blinded-folded you cannot see the coins, but you are told that there are 20 coins sitting tails-side up. The rest are heads-up.

You can move and flip and turn the coins as you please but you cannot see what you do, and, though you can touch the coins, you cannot tell heads from tails by feel.

How can you separate the coins into two piles such that each pile has the same number of heads-up and tails-up coins?

Are you sure that last line is correct? Same number of heads-up AND tails-up coins? :eh:

Return to “Written Word”