DC Graphic Novel recommendations

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

DC Graphic Novel recommendations

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Basically I'm criminally under read in comics, but I've read way more Marvel stuff than DC (Not that I've read that much Marvel stuff) and want to know where I should start.

Batman is about the only DC character I have read, and I've only really read Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Knight-fall, Joker, and Arkham Asylum. Oh, and a Harley Quinn book 'Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes'.

So I'd like to read some more DC stuff. Possibly some Justice League, maybe the teen titans. I'm interested in whatever that thing was with Green Lantern and a bunch of lanterns of other colors (I think it was called Blackest Night?), and I've heard of this Superman Red Son story and it sounds interesting. But looking for recommendations.

Only thing, I would vastly prefer whatever is recommended to be available in collected graphic novel form. I don't own any individual comics, and I don't plan to start collecting them. I much prefer sturdy, collected editions, even if it means I'll never be 'current' with the story I'm following.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Re: DC Graphic Novel recommendations

Postby Gyro LC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:48 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:Basically I'm criminally under read in comics, but I've read way more Marvel stuff than DC (Not that I've read that much Marvel stuff) and want to know where I should start.

Batman is about the only DC character I have read, and I've only really read Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Knight-fall, Joker, and Arkham Asylum. Oh, and a Harley Quinn book 'Preludes and Knock Knock Jokes'.

So I'd like to read some more DC stuff. Possibly some Justice League, maybe the teen titans. I'm interested in whatever that thing was with Green Lantern and a bunch of lanterns of other colors (I think it was called Blackest Night?), and I've heard of this Superman Red Son story and it sounds interesting. But looking for recommendations.

Only thing, I would vastly prefer whatever is recommended to be available in collected graphic novel form. I don't own any individual comics, and I don't plan to start collecting them. I much prefer sturdy, collected editions, even if it means I'll never be 'current' with the story I'm following.

Any Justice Society of America written by Geoff Johns.

https://www.amazon.com/JSA-Omnibus-Vol- ... 140124761X
https://www.amazon.com/JSA-Omnibus-Vol- ... 1401251382
https://www.amazon.com/Omnibus-Vol-Just ... 401255302/
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:01 pm

So... is the JSA like the golden age incarnations of heroes, but in the modern era?

That's pretty interesting actually. I will look out for those.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:53 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:So... is the JSA like the golden age incarnations of heroes, but in the modern era?

That's pretty interesting actually. I will look out for those.

Yes. The golden age heroes are training up young heroes in the modern world.
Hungry freaks, daddy!

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Hush is a good Batman story. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064W652A/
Identity Crisis is a good cross-over mega event. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AKVJQ7Q
Hungry freaks, daddy!

Hyperion
Wayne's Batman Costume ASSistant

Postby Hyperion » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:54 pm

I have a standard list that I give people when I'm asked this question-

300 (Not DC, but still a great read)
Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
Crisis on Infinite Earths
Kingdom Come
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
: The Long Halloween
: Knightfall
: Cataclysm
Superman: Man of Steel (1986)
: Death of Superman (Funeral for a Friend, Reign of the Superman, The Return)
: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
: Grounded (This is rated as a bad Superman book by some, but I think that's because it isn't as flashy as the usual Superman fare, which is why I like it.)
The Boys
Astro City
Birds of Prey (The Original. The nu52 can go suck donkey dicks)
Catwoman: Her Sister’s Keeper
: When in Rome
DC: The New Frontier
Northlanders
Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
Identity Crisis

I can strongly recommend the early Perez runs on Wonder Woman and the New Teen Titans, which are collected in Omnibus formats.

Blackest Night was ok in my book, but I quickly got tired of the Green Lanterns being the focus of the DCU.

Appollyon
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Appollyon » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:57 am

I'll cosign Identity Crisis, The Boys (Not DC) and Red Son. I really like Batman-No Man's Land as well.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Ok, this will sound odd but if you want the distilled essences of characters you can't go wrong with the initial The Batman Adventures and The Superman Adventures which are both based on the Animated Series for each.
At the time Superman Adventures was being published it really was the best Superman title out there. I particularly loved Superman's book: No baggage and continuity sanfus just great, classic style Superman stories (a little Silver Age, a little Bronze, definitely modern) written by people like Scott McCloud, Mark Evanier and Warren Ellis (yes THAT Warren Ellis) and art by Bruce Timm, Rick Burchett, the late great Mike Parobeck, Jim Staton and Ty "The Guy" Templeton.
Both series are heavily reprinted in trade.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Return to “Written Word”