Random Written Word thoughts

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Random Written Word thoughts

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 pm

How do we not have one of these?

Anyway, I had a question I put on Facebook, but since most of my facebook friends who might actually answer it are people I know from these forums, I thought I'd ask here:

Shadowrun novels are on the Kindle store. Some of them are $0.99.

Considering how much I love the idea of the setting, and the PC games, I'm willing to give these a go. But: Which ones should I start with? Does someone have a reading order guide?

It seems like they have all of them made after 2010, so none of the older stuff. Should I just try to go by release date?

EDIT: After some digging, it seems like a lot of these are actually re-prints of the books from the 90's (idk how that works since they're digital, but the date listed for publishing got bumped up).

So I guess the question is: Should I start with Never Deal With a Dragon which is the earliest one published from when FASA still owned the IP that I see, or Spells and Chrome which is the first one published after Catalyst Game Labs got the IP? I don't know how much, if anything, Catalyst changed of the lore? But if I someday hope to run Shadowrun games, should I only pay attention to the current stuff or read all of it, I guess is the question?
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Re: Random Written Word thoughts

Postby tombombodil » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 pm

I think the title of this thread is a good summation of this entire forum.
Have you found the yellow sign?

zircher
Actually Thinks They Can Take the Baron

Postby zircher » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:11 am

How many of you all use solo role playing games and tools for writing? It seems to be a thing with me. I love the curve balls that random tables and rolls brings to a story. The story is the journey kind of thing.

I've been collecting me short form stories over on my DA page and I just posted my latest exercise in "play to find out" how the story ends. For those that are curious in random written words and thoughts maybe taken too literally...

http://zircher.deviantart.com/art/six-hours-to-midnight-TAZ-661246722
--
TAZ

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:22 am

DistinctlyBenign wrote:
Shadowrun novels are on the Kindle store. Some of them are $0.99.

Considering how much I love the idea of the setting, and the PC games, I'm willing to give these a go. But: Which ones should I start with? Does someone have a reading order guide?

I

You can't go wrong with anything written by Nigel Findley, 2XS, Shadowplay, Lone Wolf, and House of the Sun are the ones I enjoyed most. For some reason, the Omnibus that had all four of them seems to have been removed from the Kindle store.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:59 pm

The third John Dies at the End Novel is now available for pre order on Amazon. The title? What the Hell Did I Just Read?

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:44 pm

A while ago someone posted a list of very basic tips/guidelines for writing prose fiction, my friend is trying to really dig into writing short fiction as a hobby and I was wondering if I could find this for the.

It was very simple structural stuff like "vary sentence length, avoid repetitious turns of phrase" that kinda thing.

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:43 pm

So there's a Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy humble book bundle.

I'm not much into Warhammer 40k, all I really know is Space Orks, super grimdark, and if you buy things from games workshop they'll literally charge you over $11 for 100g of sand, which works out to about $50 a POUND... I got off track for a second there.

Are these books worth my $15, is the question.

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:09 pm

DistinctlyBenign wrote:So there's a Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy humble book bundle.

I'm not much into Warhammer 40k, all I really know is Space Orks, super grimdark, and if you buy things from games workshop they'll literally charge you over $11 for 100g of sand, which works out to about $50 a POUND... I got off track for a second there.

Are these books worth my $15, is the question.

I reckon so. I enjoyed them. It's actually not super grimdark - this is the story of how Shit Went Bad and what was originally a "get everybody back together and SCIENCE!" effort turned into "Oppressive bureaucracy and senseless waste of life, also technology is a religion now".
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

DistinctlyBenign

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 pm

I grabbed that 40k book bundle. I went looking for a reading order guide.

Oh.

EDIT: I guess Wikipedia doesn't like direct image links. Fixed, but with a shrank down version you can't really read... you get the idea though.

Spammy V
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Spammy V » Sat May 20, 2017 10:29 pm

I stop into the Half-Price Books near me every now and then to see if any Battletech or Magic: the Gathering novels have floated in.

The worst part about Battletech books is that every book has the exposition dump about Battlemechs and the Inner Sphere because no one knows if this'll be someone's first book or not.
Spammy's Can
My blog where I ramble about games and things

Return to “Written Word”