Looking for Comixology Unlimited Suggestions

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Looking for Comixology Unlimited Suggestions

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:23 am

I signed up for a free trial of Comixology Unlimited last night.

The first thing I read was Locke & Key Vol. 1: Welcome To Lovecraft :thumbup:

I only did a quick perusal and saw a couple of other things I am going to check out: Mouse Guard, Atomic Robo.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Glenn
I am the story stick

Re: Looking for Comixology Unlimited Suggestions

Postby Glenn » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:00 am

I'm not sure what issues they have on there, but i saw they list Usagi Yojimbo. its a black and white comic that has been around since the late 80s. Its one of my favorites.

The character is very loosely based on Miyamoto Musashi. It also has references to Lone Wolf and Cub and other stuff like that.

IDW's Star Trek is on there. If you like the first two abrams movies, this series picks up after the first one. In the first few volumes, most of the stories are just slight changes on the Original Series episodes. Volume 1 does have an original story that advances the plot of the first movie a little.

Because its a comic i don't think it suffers from the 'Hollywood blockbuster' issues that the movies had. It feels much more like classic star trek.

If you want to get into the Valiant Universe, They have X-O Manowar and Bloodshot

I prefer X-O Manowar to Bloodshot, but i've only read the first 8 issues of each.

Some other stuff they have that i haven't tried but everyone seems love is: Saga, Hellboy, and The Walking Dead.
Last edited by Glenn on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:53 am

I saw that the Walking Dead was on there, but I am avoiding it because I am watching the show on Netflix and I don't want to spoil anything. They are a season or so behind the current show.

I'll definitely check out Hellboy, plus the others you suggested.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:56 pm

I tried the trial for Comxiology unlimited, but it looked like very little was actually available on Unlimited.

Does it let you read entire runs of things? I'd get it for the Valiant stuff alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:07 am

I spent the weekend binge reading and I found a lot of things where volume 1 was on unlimited but the next volume was not, but available for purchase.

I found that rather frustrating.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:20 am

What I have read so far:

Locke and Key Vol 1 -- Outstanding horror story, beautifully illustrated. If I think more free issues are going to be available, I'll wait for them. If not, I'll buy volume 2 sometime.

Atomic Robo Vol 1 - Tons of pulpy fun with some nice (and surprising) poignant parts. This needs to be an animated movie. If I think more free issues are going to be available, I'll wait for them. If not, I'll buy volume 2 sometime.

HellBoy Volumes 1, 2 and 3 - It's Hellboy. I can’t read this without hearing Ron Pearlman's voice. I can see why so many people love these. I'll have to buy these at some point along with the rest of the series.

Green Hornet Vol 1 - Written by Mark Waide (who is apparently a big name in comics) and expertly Illustrated by Ronilson Frere and Daniel Indro , this is a fun suspenseful adventure that unfortunately ends in a cliffhanger and is one of those cases where vol 2 is not free. I'm hoping volume 2 shows up for free eventually.

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Issues 1-3: The idea that someone could take an Archie comic and turn it into something very adult seems unlikely, but here is it. Horror is not really my thing, teen angst is even less my thing but this combination of the two but this was surprisingly well done. I need to look and see if Afterlife with Archie is available as well (looks - issues 1-3, same as Sabrina).

Pathfinder Volume 3: (I found this before vols 1 and 2). I couldn't resist reading it even though I was expecting it to suck. It sucked less than I expected it to. The best thing in it is the artwork. The story suffers from being too condensed. Maybe If I had started with volume 1 and had a better handle on the characters, it would be better. I found volume 1 later on and started it. The artwork is rather inferior to volume 3. I'm about halfway through. It suffers from the need to wave the rules around in the story, much like the early D&D novels did.
One reason I read these are that they take place in the same setting as the Beginner box adventure and the adventure path that I ran the first two sections of - Sandpoint and Magnimar.

Star Trek - Who Killed Captain Kirk: Pretty good stories but with terrible artwork. Very often, you cannot tell the characters apart. It obviously takes place sometime after Star Trek III, but the artwork looks it was from 1972 (and would have been bad in 1972).

Star Trek - The Gorn Dilemma: Not a very good story, not very well written and with terrible artwork. After suffering through this, I stopped looking for other Star Trek comics.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:04 pm

Mikel wrote:I tried the trial for Comxiology unlimited, but it looked like very little was actually available on Unlimited.

Does it let you read entire runs of things? I'd get it for the Valiant stuff alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as I could see, Comixology Unlimited was just to get people into a certain series. I haven't seen a single series where they had more than volume 1. But thats based on internet searches, i haven't actually used the service.

A good way to read the first chunk of the Valiant universe is to see if your local library offers Hoopla. Its a free digial library service that you can read a ton of comics on. A quick search on the app looks like they have damn near everything Valiant has put out.

If your local library doesn't offer it, chances are one near your county does. A lot of times neighboring will allow people to get cards as well.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:16 pm

clintmemo wrote:Atomic Robo Vol 1 - Tons of pulpy fun with some nice (and surprising) poignant parts. This needs to be an animated movie. If I think more free issues are going to be available, I'll wait for them. If not, I'll buy volume 2 sometime.

Last night I discovered that there are, I think, six volumes available to read for free on Comixology Unlimited. :thumbup: :D

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:34 pm

clintmemo wrote:I spent the weekend binge reading and I found a lot of things where volume 1 was on unlimited but the next volume was not, but available for purchase.

I found that rather frustrating.

I was researching Comixology over the weekend thinking I was going to sub. Big fat nope.

Their entire business model is to try and get you hooked into the program with a very small amount of big title (like Walking Dead and a few others), then get you interested in some other good titles but only have limited issues of those all with the end goal of getting you hooked into comics so that you end up buying comics from them to get the full runs of the stories.

I was hoping for more of a NetFlix of comics but it's not. Also, Marvel and DC are not part of it.

Gyro LC
Fear the Con Backer

Postby Gyro LC » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:33 pm

You can get comics/graphic novels via eBook from major libraries. Check that out.

For instance, here's comic book eBooks available at the Denver Library. 1500 titles ain't bad.

http://downloadmedia.denverlibrary.org/ ... y=CollDate
Hungry freaks, daddy!
Do you like dice? I make dice!

Return to “Written Word”