DC Rebirth

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby clintmemo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:18 am

Psalm wrote:Action Comics has been an enjoyable read so far and I'm really curious where they're going to go with this duplicate Clark Kent character.

Since New 52 Superman is dead,I think it has something to do with that. I think it will ultimately be the back door that leads to his return maybe?
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Psalm
Snuggly Soft

Postby Psalm » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:29 am

This is what I've read of the Rebirth comics that came out on 20-July-2016.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: Rebirth #1 - Fantastic issue. It was more than a bit jarring going from the art of Babs Tarr (from Batgirl of Burnside) to that of Claire Roe, but I was hooked after the first few pages. I really like how Roe draws Barbara Gordon and her scene work brings back that dark and gloomy feel of Gotham but the characters still feel upbeat.
It is also good to see that Huntress referred back to her time with Dick Grayson in the Grayson title pre-rebirth.

The Hellblazer: Rebirth #1
- It feels like the old John Constantine is back! I admittedly have only read the first four volumes of the original Vertigo Hellblazer run, but it referred back to some of the iconic events that happened early on, which is great. This is the first issue where I'm getting that sense of legacy that Morrison was referring to during the Rebirth announcement, funny that it's from a former Vertigo title.

Still waiting for my girlfriend to read Justice League #1, Batman #3, and Nightwing from last week so I can read them.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:21 am

This week:

Action Comics - The story continues to be good, but it seems like the artwork gets a little worse every issue. Plus Wonder Woman!

Detective Comics - This was the best one this week. Batman being Batman is glorious and I am loving his little army of followers. Plus, the villain seems to be a good example of a person that is the hero of his own story. I can't say I blame him for what he is trying to do.

Flash - The last issue ended with an interesting twist. This issue had another twist at the end that was less interesting. I'm betting that this new villain is Eobard Thawn. It also had a nice heart warming encounter in the middle.

Titans - This book is fun to read, but it only comes out once a month so I am a bit getting impatient with it, especially when it starts out by recapping something that I have already seen - twice.

Nightwing - I really like where this is going, though I feel like Dick is going to be playing this new guy (and us) for a few issues until he turns the tables on him.

Wonder Woman - This continues to be a beautifully drawn, character based story, with quite a bit of action. And now we have two characters to study. It makes a nice contrast to some of the other more action-oriented books I am reading.

This was an expensive week for me.

Psalm
Snuggly Soft

Postby Psalm » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:34 am

clintmemo wrote:Titans - This book is fun to read, but it only comes out once a month so I am a bit getting impatient with it, especially when it starts out by recapping something that I have already seen - twice.

I haven't read this issue yet, but I'll say that I usually give a title three to four issues to win me over. It all depends what my connection to the work is, be it the character/s or the creative team. But three to four issues gives the creative team a long enough chance to present to us where they're going with their work and whether I like that direction or not.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Superman - After a few issues of heart-warming character stuff, it exploded into Kapow infused weirdness. Not at all what I was expecting. Overall, still the best book I'm reading.

Batman - this book also took an unexpected turn but totally in a good way. This book keeps getting better.

Nightwing - Surprise! Well, it was for me anyway. I was not expecting to see an issue this week as I thought it was a monthly book. Double surprise! It was a really good issue that introduced a character that I really liked (though I suspect that he is really Talon in disguise.). Also, the stuff with Nightwing talking to Batgirl on the phone was cool. It almost makes me wish I was reading Batgirl - almost. I am loving this series. I hope it is bi-weekly.

Green Arrow - Diggle arrives and apparently they have some kind of history that is unlike what they have on the show. I have no idea what happened between them but it must have been bad.

Justice League - nope. Dropped it.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:20 pm

clintmemo wrote:Superman - After a few issues of heart-warming character stuff, it exploded into Kapow infused weirdness. Not at all what I was expecting. Overall, still the best book I'm reading.

Batman - this book also took an unexpected turn but totally in a good way. This book keeps getting better.

Nightwing - Surprise! Well, it was for me anyway. I was not expecting to see an issue this week as I thought it was a monthly book. Double surprise! It was a really good issue that introduced a character that I really liked (though I suspect that he is really Talon in disguise.). Also, the stuff with Nightwing talking to Batgirl on the phone was cool. It almost makes me wish I was reading Batgirl - almost. I am loving this series. I hope it is bi-weekly.

Green Arrow - Diggle arrives and apparently they have some kind of history that is unlike what they have on the show. I have no idea what happened between them but it must have been bad.

That about covers my feelings as well except I'm not reading Green Arrow.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:27 pm

Wayne wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Superman - After a few issues of heart-warming character stuff, it exploded into Kapow infused weirdness. Not at all what I was expecting. Overall, still the best book I'm reading.

That about covers my feelings as well except I'm not reading Green Arrow.

What are you reading that I am not and how are they?

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:05 pm

I picked up the Free Harley Quinn comic yesterday. I admit I rather liked it.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 pm

Action Comics #961
We get a bit more Lex Luthor in this issue (I would be very tempted to buy a book that was just him). Apparently, there is a Super Woman that is a Lois Lane to go along with the extra Clark Kent that is not Superman. I hope they explain this sometime soon. She zooms by to save someone, probably just to alert the readers that she is in another book. After a few pages, we are back to Superman and Wonder Woman still fighting Doomsday who has decided to go after Lois Lane (not the Super Woman one) and their son Jon. I'm more than ready for this fight to be over - and it is. The mysterious observer, whom I am convinced is Ozymandius, sends in his special goons to subdue and take Doomsday away. I'm hoping the next issue has more plot.

Detective Comics #938
The best book of the week - this series is absolutely killing it. We start out with some nice flashback/backstory (nicely set off by being in a different art style) and then we continue with Batman being rescued (sort of) by his team. Worked in with all the action, we have several nice character interactions plus each team member getting their own moment of awesome. Then it ends with an "Oh Crap!" moment.

Flash #4
Barry Allen has a small army of new speed force users that he is training. Someone is trying to kill them and steal their power. Plus, personal angst!

Wonder Woman #4
This issue we switch back to her year one story line, with the continuation of her nice, condensed origin story. Some clever writing with poor Steve Trevor and the Amazons who cannot understand each other because they don't speak a common language. This book is slow but it is moving along. And it is so beautifully drawn.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Superman #5
More Kapow and Weirdness as Superman tries to keep his family safe from the Eradicator.
Superman flies them to the moon so they can hide in Batman's (not so) secret moon base, which keeps them safe for about 5 whole minutes. The Eradicator shows up again for more fighting. And then things go in an unexpected direction as the Eradicator "eats" Superman just as he did Krypto a few issues back. Lois and Jon freak out and run away. Fortunately, Lois fines Batman's mech-suit of death (the Hellbat), puts it on and, along with Jon, starts to beat the Eradicator's ass! Meanwhile, Superman, trapped inside the Eradicator with all the other Kryptonian souls it has eaten, convinces them to give him their power and help him escape, and he pops out just in time to save the day in the next issue.
This book rocks.

Batman #5
Batman has to stop the super-powered "Gotham Man" who has been driven insane by Psycho Pirate (?), so he sends everything he has after him, including Alfred in a bat man suit! Also, remember that trope they used to used to do in Star Trek: TNG where they show the audience how tough some alien was by having it kick Warf's ass? Well, how do you do that in a Batman book? Easy! You just call the Justice League! They last about 2 pages. Despite the over the top silliness this issue has, it has a nice emotional, poignant resolution.

Green Arrow #5
Green Arrow and Diggle sneak attack the island fortress of evil bankers in order to save Black Canary, Ollie's fortune and any number of human traffic victims and maybe find his traitorous daughter. It turns out she's not so treacherous afterall. After lots of action and even more explosions, Ollie ends up broke, alone and trapped on an island. This is just not as well written as the other books I'm reading. In comparison, it seems fast paced and shallow. I might give it a few more issues but if it doesn't start improving, I might drop it.

Nightwing #3
Batgirl shows up for some angst and to help Nightwing and Raptor on their mission - breaking into a house built by a maze master. The Court of Owls have sent them to kill the creator and take plans that he created for them. Nightwing has other plans and he hopes Raptor does as well. After a bit of double dealing, subterfuge, puzzle solving, and more angst, we get a little more insight into what Raptor is up to. I'm really enjoying the story in this book.

Superwoman #1
After hearing the gushing review of this on Funnybooks, I decided to give this a try.
The set up is like this and is revealed in the first half of the book: when New 52 Superman exploded and died, his powers were transferred to both new52 Lois Lane and new52 Lana Lang. Lois has powers like Superman did - fly, strong, heat vision..., but Lana is different, she can fly and is strong but she converts solar energy into other forms of energy. There is a really nice dichotomy between the two personalities and the book largely works because of how they do (and don't) get along. Lois is super-confident, optimistic and cheery. Lana is skeptical, has abandonment issues and suffers from an anxiety disorder.
We also get a nice dose of the Lex Luthor I was talking about last week (seriously, if they made a Lex book, I'd buy it). Lex has built a super sized aircraft carrier to protect Metropolis. Naturally, it gets attacked and the Superwomen have to work together to save the day. There is a great gag when Lois saves a plane saying "Don't worry, I've got you!" and the pilot responds "You've got us? Who's got you?" - a nice homage to Christopher Reeves and Margot Kidder from the 1978 movie.
I was really digging this buddy Superwoman book and then while they are looking for missing survivors inside the carrier, Lois gets killed by some super-powered evil woman! WTF ?! I'm thinking that won't be a permanent death, but now this buddy book is suddenly a tragedy about a super-powered woman with lots of issues. What's that internet meme? "That escalated quickly."
I definitely in for this book.

Return to “Written Word”