DC Rebirth

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
Psalm
Snuggly Soft

DC Rebirth

Postby Psalm » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:49 am

So we're about a month or two into the new Rebirth imprint by DC comics and my girlfriend and I are really enjoying the titles that we're reading. I started a topic about the New 52 a while ago, here, and it seemed that those of us who were reading the titles at the time were a little disappointed with the direction DC was going. So I'd like to hear what you long-time fans, like Wayne, think of the new titles and how they're including some of the the pre-flashpoint history of the universe.

My girlfriend and I started reading a couple of years into the New 52 so we're used to sudden creative changes every year or two, so this history change for many of the characters doesn't bother us too greatly. But we're not overly familiar with the pre-flashpoint continuity, do the stories have that feel of "legacy" that Morrison was harping on about to you long-time fans?

I'm personally collecting Titans and Wonder Woman so far and my girlfriend is collecting Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, and Justice League. We'll be getting All-star Batman, Batgirl, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Nightwing, Suicide Squad, Supergirl, and The Hellblazer as they come out.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: DC Rebirth

Postby clintmemo » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm new to collecting comics. I decided to give it a shot because of Rebirth.

I'm reading them all digitally via comixology.

I've read Superman, Action Comics, Batman, Detective Comics, Green Arrow, Wonder
Woman, Flash
, Justice League and Titans.

Listing them from best to worst.
Superman is the best one of the bunch. It has to do with him and Lois trying to raise their now 9(?) year old son. The writing and artwork are both top notch. It's a great paring with Action Comics because the tone is so different.
Action Comics and Detective Comics are both really good.
Titans was good and served as a good intro for these characters, especially if, like me, you aren't familiar with them. (Has there really only been one issue of this so far? Did I miss one somehow?)
Batman was solid but I'm not sure where it's going.
Wonder Woman had a slow start and is now splitting into a flashback series and a current series. I'm still interested to see where it goes.
Green Arrow started out sort of crappy, mostly just too cheesy, but got a lot better very quickly. I was not a fan of the artwork, but it grew on me.
Flash started better than Green Arrow but only improved a little. I'll stick with it for now. I felt the same way about the art in this as Green Arrow.
The first issue of Justice League was crappy and if it doesn't get better in the next issue, this will be the (first) one I drop.

I'm sure I'll add Nightwing when it starts (this week?). I like street level heroes more than epic level stuff.
I was not interested in Batgirl until I read a blurb about the premise, now I might check that out as well.

Also, the initial comic, DC Universe Rebirth was excellent.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:07 am

I've loved pretty much all of rebirth that I have read. Superman has been the the stand out highlight, but flash and Batman have been good too. I'm so excited to have nightwing back.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:16 am

Is this the beginning of the Post-Flash 123, Post-Crisis, Post Zero Hour, Post-Time Trapper, Post-Hypertime, Post-Birthright, Post-Final Crisis, Post-Infinite Crisis, Post-New 52, Post Secret Origin, Post-Superman Earth One, Post-New Earth, Post-Flashpoint continuity?

I'm all over it, but with one question: How many versions of Hawkman and the Legion of Super-heroes will this new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new universe feature?

Just kidding, of course. They're all imaginary stories. :)

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:16 am

keithcurtis wrote:Is this the beginning of the Post-Flash 123, Post-Crisis, Post Zero Hour, Post-Time Trapper, Post-Hypertime, Post-Birthright, Post-Final Crisis, Post-Infinite Crisis, Post-New 52, Post Secret Origin, Post-Superman Earth One, Post-New Earth, Post-Flashpoint continuity?

I'm all over it, but with one question: How many versions of Hawkman and the Legion of Super-heroes will this new-new-new-new-new-new-new-new universe feature?

Except for the ones that are imaginary-imaginary stories.
Have you found the yellow sign?

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:41 am

tombombodil wrote:
keithcurtis wrote:Is this the beginning of the Post-Flash 123, Post-Crisis, Post Zero Hour, Post-Time Trapper, Post-Hypertime, Post-Birthright, Post-Final Crisis, Post-Infinite Crisis, Post-New 52, Post Secret Origin, Post-Superman Earth One, Post-New Earth, Post-Flashpoint continuity?

Except for the ones that are imaginary-imaginary stories.

And not a what if, or a dream, or a hoax.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 am

This week:

Superman is still the best. I think someone is about to find out that they made a terrible mistake. :lol:
It seems like this series is full of full-page art that is wonderful but never a picture of "Superman glorifyingly punches the bad guy across the page" like you would expect. There was the last page of this issue where Jonathan is clearly about the blast the Eradicator into oblivion after it "ate" Krypto plus the "Superman's my Dad" picture from a couple of issues ago, plus a few more I can't quite remember right now.

Batman brought in some needed back story and then showed where it was going. I think things are all about to go horribly wrong. :thumbup:

Arrow got a new artist just as I learned to love the old one. However, the new one is better. Whether he's a guest or taking over, I'm good. The story continues in a good way and it had one of the best lines I've seen in a comic in a long time. To (mis)quote "The bad guys cause trouble. The REALLY bad guys enable the bad guys to cause trouble." Yes, the arch villains is this series are bankers. How perfect for this series.

Justice League - it went from crappy to "meh" but at least it is setting up an ongoing story and is not a very short one-off. I considered dropping this for "Hellblazer" after previewing its first three pages. I still might.

Apparently, Nightwing came out earlier and I somehow missed it, because I grabbed it yesterday. It's all exposition, but in a good way.

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:15 am

As someone who has never read more than a few issues of DC, is Rebirth a good place to start? Or should I go back?

I read one of the crisises, The one where Batman "dies" (or does he go back in time) at the end defeating Darkseid but I don't really know much about that comic universe.

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:29 am

GinDragon wrote:As someone who has never read more than a few issues of DC, is Rebirth a good place to start?

Yes.

That's pretty much what I did. I had read a couple of trades of early new52 Batman and Justice League a few years back but that's all I've read from that era. Beyond that, I have only a few trade editions of old stuff, like The Killing Joke and The Death of Superman.

I don't feel lost in any way.

Psalm
Snuggly Soft

Postby Psalm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:54 am

Wonder Woman has been fantastic so far. Greg Rucka is really showing why people keep on referring back to his previous run/s. The art by Nicola Scott and Liam Sharp in their respective issues is just stunning.

Action Comics has been an enjoyable read so far and I'm really curious where they're going to go with this duplicate Clark Kent character.

Just read #956 of Detective Comics and I enjoyed it enough to catch up with it.

Batman... One of the best representations of Alfred ever! It's weird that he's grown his hand back though.

I get my comics shipped to my girlfriend's house from Queensland and don't get the Wednesday release until the following Monday, so my responses on here will be a little behind.

I'll point out that DCR Podcast is a great way to keep up with what's going on with all the Rebirth issues that you aren't reading.

Return to “Written Word”