Need a new Scifi/fantasy book.

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Re: Need a new Scifi/fantasy book.

Postby JediSoth » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:58 am

Shameless Plug:

Fantasy
The Foundation of Drak-Anor (Wings of Twilight, Iron Fist of the Oroqs)
Scars of the Sundering (Malediction, 2 more books TBR)

Sci-Fi
Zack Jackson Series (Cult of Athos, Cytherean Academy, Hives of Valtra)

All by moi, some of which were edited by our own Jahaili. I also have sci-fi stories in both Sojourn anthologies. Of course, any honest reviews posted to Amazon help and are greatly appreciated.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

Freemage
Hot Wings Eating Champ

Postby Freemage » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:54 pm

If you're in the mood for something quick, I recommend keeping around either of these:

Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic Science-Fiction

A Good Old-Fashioned Future

Both of these contain stories that are, well, as Shine says: optimistic. They aren't utopian, just contain the belief that humanity is good at the core, and therefore, in the long run, so will our world be. We will have struggles to overcome, and we WILL.

I'd also recommend Ray Bradbury's works. His short story collections are all excellent. The Martian Chronicles and From the Dust Returned are both short story collections that re-use the same characters, creating a cohesive overall narrative (is there a technical name for this type of 'framed anthology'?). The former, of course, is of a future where we colonize Mars; the latter is a more serious take on an Addams Family-like clan of supernaturals (he and Charles Addams actually considered collaborating on the Addams Family before going their separate ways with the core concept, and C.A. did several illustrations for Bradbury's books). My personal favorite book, though, is one of his full-length novels: Something Wicked This Way Comes. There's just so much depth there, and it's a great source material for RPG inspiration, too.
You say "wankery" like it's a bad thing.

ImageImageImageImageImage

John
Host

Postby John » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:24 pm

dresden files imo

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:54 pm

If you're looking for short stories, check out Whisperer in Darkness, Shadow out of Time, The Xipehuz are in currently in my "recommend to people" bin.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby Fridrik » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:30 am

John wrote:dresden files imo

And if one likes the Dresden files then the next series to check out is "The Rivers of London" by Ben Aaronovitch. the first novel in the series is called "Rivers of London" like the series, expect in the US where the first novel is called "Midnight Riot" for some reason

It's a noir-ish English police procedural. Set in a hidden magic London. I'm on book 3. The first novel starts good and the rest just keeps getting better.

BurnYU
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby BurnYU » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Felix Castor by Mike Carey is a good one.. though i have to add the caviat that it gets weaker near the last books in the series i have read

lightningcat
'something' per Dan's request

Postby lightningcat » Fri May 05, 2017 10:01 pm

For anyone who likes David Weber check out his Hell's Gate series. The latest book "The Road to Hell" is out, and is wonderful in that David Weber style.
Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
---{----------
My take on a Transformer's RPG
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Sat May 06, 2017 5:23 am

John wrote:dresden files imo

Codex Alera series by Butcher is a good set to add too

GinDragon
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby GinDragon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am

Ready Player One!

When I first heard about it, I was dubious, thinking it would just be stuffed full of old 80's/90's references with no substence, so I put it off until recently.

It IS stuffed full of references, but the story is actually quite interesting! Especially if you've ever been into MMO's, or any other virtual play space. I listened to the audiobook and crushed the whole thing in like a week of travel time in between work and camp and home.

anthroslug
NZB Leftenant

Postby anthroslug » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:03 am

Anything by Fritz Leiber, but especially Our Lady of Darkness, Conjure Wife (both are fantasy/horror set at the time that they were written, 1970s and 1940s, respectively, and were laying with Urban Fantasy elements before they became tired tropes), and the first four collected volumes of the Lankhmar stories.

Be aware, though, that they are all products of their time - while Leiber avoided the heavy racism and misogyny of many of his contemporaries, elements of his age are nonetheless present (and in Lankhmar, everyone is a horrible, if entertainingly horrible, person), so be aware. But Leiber was a truly excellent writer, able to be simultaneously thrilling, hilariously funny, and frightening, and is well worth reading.
I'm like a boring, perpetually annoyed Indiana Jones - http://www.anthroslug.blogspot.com

Return to “Written Word”