Need a new Scifi/fantasy book.

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
darthnny
'something' per Dan's request

Need a new Scifi/fantasy book.

Postby darthnny » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Stuff I like: THe last Three books of the Wheel of Time, Mistborn, Seveneves, First Two Game of Thrones, The middle of the dark tower series, some of the Rift War series. Lies of Lock Lamore.

Stuff I loved: The King Killer Series, the last few books of the Game of Thrones, Signal to Noise, The first three books of the wheel of time and the 6th. The first three Dresden books, Snow Crash, just about anything by Neil Gaiman.
:spam:

Leoff
You Gotta Admit!

Re: Need a new Scifi/fantasy book.

Postby Leoff » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:37 pm

The King of Elfland's Daughter, by Alfred, Lord Dunsany. Classic pre-WW1 fantasy.

Live Free or Die and subsequent books, by John Ringo. Space ships, aliens, maple syrup, advanced technology. "Cheops was insufficiently ambitious."

Pyramid Scheme, by Eric Flint and Dave Freer. Alien technology, classical mythology.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:51 pm

Obligatory:

Lord of the Rings
Dune
Neuromancer
Discworld
Foundation 1-3 (Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation)

Some of those are obviously a little on the dense and dry side, but if you like Wheel of Time it won't be that far outside your comfort zone.

More modern stuff:

Gardens of the Moon (and the Tales of the Malazan series in general)
Look to Windward
American Gods
Name of the Wind
World War Z
The Book of the New Sun*

*This one gets and asterisk because I haven't actually read it, but enough people whom I respect hold that it's excellent, so it gets a proxy recommendation from me.
Have you found the yellow sign?

darthnny
'something' per Dan's request

Postby darthnny » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:55 pm

tombombodil wrote:Obligatory:
Look to Windward
The Book of the New Sun*

I have read the others. I have not heard of the above three.
:spam:

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:02 pm

darthnny wrote:
tombombodil wrote:Obligatory:
Look to Windward
The Book of the New Sun*

I have read the others. I have not heard of the above three.

My favorite of those is probably Gardens of the Moon, but Look to Windward is probably the most approachable.

Mikel
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby Mikel » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:10 pm

Armor by John Steakley.
Confessions of an Improv GM. Player/GM Advice, APs, and the 8 Minute Story Challenge.

McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero

Postby McNutcase » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:41 pm

C.J. Cherryh's Alliance/Union series. Space opera, politics. Can mostly be read in any order, two exceptions; my suggested reading order follows.

Downbelow Station
Rimrunners
Heavy Time/Hellburner (these two are a pair, direct sequels/same cast)
Cyteen/Regenesis (another pair, but feel free to read something else in between them)
40,000 In Gehenna
Merchanter's Luck
Tripoint
Finity's End

Also recommended: R.M. Meluch, Tour of the Merrimack (available as a two-volume omnibus of four books, or probably as the books themselves if you're buying used). Reading order: The Myriad, Wolf Star, The Sagittarius Command, Strength and Honor. Full disclosure: I've only finished the Myriad so far, but it was strong enough that I'll recommend the entire series. Military science fiction.

Lilith Saintcrow, Dante Valentine series: Working For The Devil, Dead Man Rising, The Devil's Right Hand, Saint City Sinners, To Hell And Back. Urban fantasy plus cyberpunk equals awesome.

David Weber, Safehold series: Off Armageddon Reef, By Schism Rent Asunder, By Heresies Distressed, A Mighty Fortress, How Firm A Foundation, Midst Toil And Tribulation, Like A Mighty Army. Humanity reached the stars, met aliens, they tried to exterminate us and nearly succeeded. The last outpost of humans was indoctrinated with a religion that banned technological innovation, in an attempt to keep hiding from the genocidal aliens forever. Some of the leaders thought this was a crappy plan, and had a plan B; this is what happens when that plan goes into effect.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

GordonGoblin
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby GordonGoblin » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:41 am

Fantasy - Three Parts Dead

Sci Fi - Revelation Space
z)Talk is for those not being EATEN ALIVE BY ZOMBIES!!! z)

Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz

Postby Knaight » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:04 am

Earthsea is a classic, and worth trying. I'd also recommend The Journey of the Catechist, if you're in the mood for something light.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

BurnYU
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby BurnYU » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:32 am

Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder - Its an interesting take on sci fi and fantasy, you might enjoy it. I would describe it as more of a setting book then a story book.

Daggerspell (Deverry #1) by Katharine Kerr - Another very interesting book again more so for the setting then the story though the story is good. Its an interesting twist on fantasy

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny - Its by Roger Zelazny its a novel read it once go "The fuck" read it again and it starts making more sense. I would suggest this because its rather short and really good.

Return to “Written Word”