One Cube Challenge

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

One Cube Challenge

Postby zircher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:10 am

While this is targeted at solo gaming, it is also a fun exercise in short story writing.

https://solorpgvoyages.wordpress.com/2015/08/01/the-one-cube-challenge/

Here's my response:
---------------------------------------------------

Lasers and Feelings
http://www.onesevendesign.com/lasers_and_feelings_rpg.pdf

Image Image Image
Image Image Image

The Cast:

* Captain Darcy Kemp, hot shot envoy, a curvy captain that looks a lot like Marilyn Monroe, currently in the med pod after a bad encounter
* Commander Norbert Twist, savvy scientist, graying black man with a goatee, currently in command and looking to meet sexy space aliens
* Doctor Lavine Byrd, sexy doctor, young black woman on her first tour and seeking to prove herself
* Lt. Kat Martingale, alien pilot, she not an alien as much as a feline/human hybrid, wants to solve space mysteries

The Raptor is a fast scout/explorer with superior sensors. Since she is a small ship, there is only one med pod and Darcy is in it.

Threat: Unknown to the crew, the Hive Armada wants to build an Alien Artifact that will reverse time.
--

"Captain's log, Commander Twist reporting. Captain Kemp has been disabled by an encounter with the psychic entity known as Something Else. We're moving at top speed to Starbase Seven in the Hyperion Gamma system in hope that they have a cure for the captain's condition. Doctor Byrd reports that Darcy's life signs are weaker even with the use of the med pod."

As the Raptor comes out of warp, it has to take immediate take evasive action.
// Kat is an expert with a fast ship, 3d6 <4 = 2,4,1 full success
// LaserFeelings! What am I dodging?

Kat wrenches the ship off course as debris and large chunks of metal go zipping by. "Pull my tail! That debris looked like the Pterodon." Norbert shouts out, "Red alert! Shields to full power." Lavine calls in from the medical bay, "Pilot Martingale, quit your hot-dogging. You're bouncing my patient around like a rag doll." Kat's tail twitches with annoyance, "Sorry, I was just saving us all from a messy death."

Norbert calls up a holo-display and starts scanning.
// Norbert is an expert with superior sensors, 3d6 <5 = 6,4,1 full success

"No signs of survivors or whatever destroyed the Pterodon. Kat can you bring us in closer?" Kat turns the ship around and nudges the Raptor closer on impulse power. Dr. Byrd shows up on the bridge looking for answers. She sees the shredded remains of their sister ship.

// New scanning roll with helpers, 4d6 <5 = 4,1,2,3 wow, success and more

Kan maneuvers the Raptor closer and plays search lights on the shattered hull. Norbert reads from his displays, "No signs of energy weapons or an explosion. No bio-signs." Doctor Byrd spots something, "Pilot, zoom in on that piece ... see those knife-like gouges? I think they're claw marks."

Kat's ears flatten, "It can't be. The Hive was destroyed almost a century ago." Lavine moves over to Communications Officer Cash, "Can you reach Starbase Seven on subspace?" Cash shakes his head, "Negative on all channels, Doctor." With a sweep of his hand, Norbert re-focuses his scanners on the station orbiting distantly around Hyperion Gamma Two.

// Scanning, expert and good gear, 3d6 <5 - 2,5,5 partial success
// LaserFeelings! Is Starbase seven still there?
// LaserFeelings! Are there Hive ships still in the system?

"Oh no." Finding the station was easy. Recognizing it was not. Hive ships covered the station like ugly blisters, their organic look in stark contrast to the Federation's clean lines. The Hivers appeared to be extensively modifying the space station, adding new and unknowable structures to it. "The readings are not making a lot of sense, there is something interfering with the scans." Just then several Hive ships, looking something like armored crabs, break off from the station and start flying straight towards the Raptor. "Incoming!"

Kat rapidly begins activating subsystems, "Arming phased energy cannons." The main display to a tactical map. Dr. Lavine sighs, "So much for a peaceful response. I'll secure our patient."

The Pterodon must have been caught by surprise. Kat easily locks on to the rushing hivers. Norbert calmly waits for the optimal firing solution. "Fire at will, Lt. Martingale."

// The pilot is the ship's gunner, expert + prepared + helper, 4d6 <4 = 1,6,4,1 success
// LaserFeelings! What is unusual about these ships?

The energy bolts cut through the crabs like butter. "That's odd", muttered Kat. Norbert smiled, "What? That you hit them both on the first pass?" "No. That was too easy. No phased armor. No shields. Not even advanced maneuvering capability." Norbert stoked his goatee. "Drones?" Kat reviewed the scan data. "Ballistic stealth armor. We haven't used ballistic weapons in decades." Her tail twitched. "It's like these ships were designed to fight the last war with the Feds and Hivers a hundred years ago."

Down in the medical bay, Doctor Byrd checks in on the patient only to find Darcy's boots. "What the hell?" A quick search reveals no bareboot Captain. Lavine taps her badge, "Security, Captain Kemp has wandered off. She's still under doctor's care. Please look for her and return her to the medical bay." She taps her badge a second time, "Bridge, Darcy is loose and I'm worried that she's not in her right mind. If she makes it to the bridge, please detain her."

Norbert rolls his eyes, "Great, that's another distraction we don't need." He presses a button on the captain's chair, "Security, acting captain Twist here. Set your weapons on stun. Kemp is not in her right mind and may threaten the safety of the ship." He deactivate the comm and turns to the pilot, "Kat, bring us in closer to Starbase Seven." "Aye, aye, sir. Weapons hot."

// Norbert scans the station at closer range. 3d5 <5 = 3,6,5 partial success
// LaserFeelings! What are the Hiver's building?

The Hivers don't launch any more fighters. Perhaps they realized they were totally out classed. It's
obvious that there are dozens of ships clamped to the hull of the station. One ship is larger than the
others and bears visible scars from ballistic weapons that the Federation no longer uses. "Strange. Some of those bullet holes look fresh." Norbert runs more scans, "I'm seeing a build up of tachyon particles."

Just then, a warning signal lights up on the captain's chair. "What the...?" Cash interrupts, "Captain,
you'll want to hear this." Over the speakers, "Commander Twist, Rorche here. The Captain has just stolen a shuttle." Kat jumps in, "Sir! She's going to ram the shields!" Norbert orders, "Tractor beam that shuttle." Moments later Kat reports, "Tactor beam disabled. Collision in five seconds."

Norbert slams his fist down on the arm of the captain's chair. "Damn! Let her through and get those
shields back up." Kat quickly complies while Norbert ponders, "What is she thinking?" The shuttle makes a bee line for the station hangers.

// Norbet has an idea and scans, 3d6 <5 - 2,5,3 success
// LaserFeelings! What is different about the shuttle?

Norbet frowns at the read out and checks the ship's stores. Besides the Captain, the shuttle contained two barrels of chemicals that would be deadly poison to both humans and hivers. It would be suicide to use them.

Commander Twist actives the comm system, "Rorche, I need a security team to the transporter. Arm for bear. Byrd, Martingale, you're coming with me..."

[And that's where I run out of cube faces. Will our heroes rescue the crazed captain? Will they discover
the Hiver's plan? Can they stop the Hivers from changing history?]
Last edited by zircher on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freemage
Hot Wings Eating Champ

Re: One Cube Challenge

Postby Freemage » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:54 am

This looked cool. I... followed the link. I have the feeling I walked into the middle of a movie. That's the sequel to another movie I never saw. It's in 3-D, and I'm without my glasses. And it's in multiple foreign languages that I can't even recognize, let alone translate.
You say "wankery" like it's a bad thing.

ImageImageImageImageImage

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Heh, I guess the solo community isn't immune to creating its own language and terms.

In a nutshell, grab any RPG rules, get six random images (from a story cube or zero dice (see my sig)), don't use any other random table systems that might simulate a GM, and incorporate those random images into the story as actions, things, or people.

The goal is to work your creativity into the story rather than lean on other mechanics. I thought it worked out well for me. Lasers and Feelings is very light weight and borrows heavily from the Star Trek tropes. It was fun and easy to write this for me.

Freemage
Hot Wings Eating Champ

Postby Freemage » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:15 pm

zircher wrote:Heh, I guess the solo community isn't immune to creating its own language and terms.

In a nutshell, grab any RPG rules, get six random images (from a story cube or zero dice (see my sig)), don't use any other random table systems that might simulate a GM, and incorporate those random images into the story as actions, things, or people.

The goal is to work your creativity into the story rather than lean on other mechanics. I thought it worked out well for me. Lasers and Feelings is very light weight and borrows heavily from the Star Trek tropes. It was fun and easy to write this for me.

Okay, I think I grok the concepts. Looking at the example (which is fairly entertaining, though the abrupt cliffhanger was a bit jarring), I'm reasonably certain about the cat, the boots and the bottle. The wrench is the Hivers plot to construct a time-manipulating artifact? And I'm completely lost on the moneybag.
You say "wankery" like it's a bad thing.

ImageImageImageImageImage

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:25 pm

A play on words, Communications Officer Cash. :-)

Heh, sounds like I need to do a cube part two to finish the adventure.

Return to “Written Word”