What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby Ikoma » Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:02 pm

The Dying Game by Åsa Avdic, translated by Rachel Willson-Broyles

It's... good. Not great. I thought it might be great when I started it. But it kind of fizzles. Still, cool setting (alt future where northern Europe has been absorbed into some kind of successor state to the Soviet Union, or maybe companion state, the book isn't clear).
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:03 am

K-Mech
Teller of gaming stories

Postby K-Mech » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:42 pm

Wrapping up Battle Ground before moving on to Solutions and other Problems

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:20 am

Axiom's End. Smart, sharp, and well composed sci-fi book about a first-contact scenario set in 2007 USA. It has a vibrant and unique voice that I can only attribute to the author being significantly younger than pretty much any other author publishing best-selling genre fiction. It's compelling, very well realized, and even though it doesn't really have anything in it we haven't seen before ("we" here meaning deeply entrenched uber-dorks) the perspective and style is more than unique enough for it to be worth a read.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 pm

A Deadly Eduction, by Naomi Novik

I loved this! I'm a huge Novik fan (Temeraire's venn diagram is perfectly aligned and centered on me) so I was looking forward to it. I was a little concerned that some were describing this as a YA novel. And I guess I see what they mean. The protagonist (and all other characters) are students at a magical boarding school known as the Scholomance.[1] But this is pretty dark stuff. Pretty snarky and fun as well, but still dark. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel which is due next July.

[1] Apparently the Scholomance is and old legend but I have never heard of it.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm

tombombodil wrote:Axiom's End. Smart, sharp, and well composed sci-fi book about a first-contact scenario set in 2007 USA. It has a vibrant and unique voice that I can only attribute to the author being significantly younger than pretty much any other author publishing best-selling genre fiction. It's compelling, very well realized, and even though it doesn't really have anything in it we haven't seen before ("we" here meaning deeply entrenched uber-dorks) the perspective and style is more than unique enough for it to be worth a read.

I need to read this. I'm subscribed to Lindsay Ellis on YouTube and love her film criticism (even if I don't always agree with her, she always makes me think).

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Ikoma wrote:A Deadly Eduction, by Naomi Novik

I loved this! I'm a huge Novik fan (Temeraire's venn diagram is perfectly aligned and centered on me) so I was looking forward to it. I was a little concerned that some were describing this as a YA novel. And I guess I see what they mean. The protagonist (and all other characters) are students at a magical boarding school known as the Scholomance.[1] But this is pretty dark stuff. Pretty snarky and fun as well, but still dark. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel which is due next July.

Oh shit, Novik did something new?
Welp, time to burn an Audible credit.

I've heard of Scholomance, but only because it was in Warcraft 3 and OG World of Warcraft. And I have a habit of looking up stuff like that since they rip off liberally borrow from myths, legends and other IPs.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:38 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:

I've heard of Scholomance, but only because it was in Warcraft 3 and OG World of Warcraft. And I have a habit of looking up stuff like that since they rip off liberally borrow from myths, legends and other IPs.

I know about the Scholomance bc it's supposedly where Dracula got his powers and immortality in the original novel.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:40 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:

I know about the Scholomance bc it's supposedly where Dracula got his powers and immortality in the original novel.

Huh. I had forgotten that. You'd think I'd remember more details from something I read at least every other year. It's my favorite children's book for chrissake!
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:42 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
tombombodil wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:

Huh. I had forgotten that. You'd think I'd remember more details from something I read at least every other year. It's my favorite children's book for chrissake!

It's so good. I reread it this year as part of my new years resolution, and I was astounding by how great it still was (I hadn't read it since high school). It's feels so modern and readable, and holds together so well as a narrative despite being told entirely via epistolary. The narrative, and character's and themes are woven together so well and are so multi-leveled. It's a masterpiece.

Return to “Written Word”