What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27605
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby Azhrei Vep » Tue May 07, 2019 12:34 pm

Yeah, if I did books at bedtime, I definitely couldn't go audio. I'm pretty sure it would keep me awake, which would defeat the purpose, but even if it didn't ... the damn thing's going to keep running after I've dozed off. Not happening.

I get plenty of audiobooks in because I have a boring job that requires basically no attention to do. I also occasionally listen to them when I'm caught up on youtube while playing games that aren't story-heavy, or that I've already seen the story on and I'm replaying for gameplay purposes. Lately that's mostly been City of Heroes.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron
Posts: 14053
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: Pleasant Grove, UT
Contact:

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby Ikoma » Tue May 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Yup. Listen to a book and shoot tanks. Or aliens. Or play Blood Bowl.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

User avatar
sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!
Posts: 5268
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby sbonner » Wed May 08, 2019 2:50 pm

My exercise of choice is walking, which leaves plenty of time for podcasts and audiobooks. Also during driving and housecleaning.
This is what happens when you let nerds go unwedgied for too long. - Goatunit
FTB on Google+

User avatar
Knaight
Harbinger of the Coz
Posts: 6015
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:15 pm
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby Knaight » Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I've never even heard of the concept of an abridged book before. WTF! :wtf: This is presumably a book for people who are too lazy to read (or listen to) the whole thing and just want a cut-down version. Why? Why would you want that? If you enjoy reading why would you want less of it? Perhaps just read the blurb on the back and the last couple of pages and be done with it. Save a lot more time that way. Or just read the Wikipedia summary instead. Or, even better, get someone else to read the Wiki entry and summarise it for you in ten words or fewer. Job done!

Generally I'd agree - but there's some books that desperately needed an editing pass somewhere where the author would have removed huge chunks, and abridgement can cover this. I read the full version of Journey to the West, all 2500 pages of it, and I'd be the first to say that there's a lot of repetitive fluff that could have been cut out. The first 8 chapters are key, the last 3 chapters are key, and of the remaining 109 chapters in the middle there are maybe 25 that aren't just excessive.

Sure, using one of the first novels ever written before the form was even slightly reformed might be cheating a bit - but it's hardly unique.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
McNutcase
The Fang and Cape wearing, Backyard Wrasslin', 1987 Buick Skyhawk with Dixie Horn driving superhero
Posts: 13503
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Nova Albion
Contact:

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby McNutcase » Wed May 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Knaight wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:I've never even heard of the concept of an abridged book before. WTF! :wtf: This is presumably a book for people who are too lazy to read (or listen to) the whole thing and just want a cut-down version. Why? Why would you want that? If you enjoy reading why would you want less of it? Perhaps just read the blurb on the back and the last couple of pages and be done with it. Save a lot more time that way. Or just read the Wikipedia summary instead. Or, even better, get someone else to read the Wiki entry and summarise it for you in ten words or fewer. Job done!

Generally I'd agree - but there's some books that desperately needed an editing pass somewhere where the author would have removed huge chunks, and abridgement can cover this. I read the full version of Journey to the West, all 2500 pages of it, and I'd be the first to say that there's a lot of repetitive fluff that could have been cut out. The first 8 chapters are key, the last 3 chapters are key, and of the remaining 109 chapters in the middle there are maybe 25 that aren't just excessive.

Sure, using one of the first novels ever written before the form was even slightly reformed might be cheating a bit - but it's hardly unique.

I'm firmly of the opinion that Charles Dickens needs severe editing to be reasonable. Of course, he was writing serials, so he had incentive to spin it out as long as he could...
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

User avatar
John
Host
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby John » Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 am

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.

Just as good as the first one so far (which is to say, great). I love how he uses the interludes and chapter-opening quotes to tell you whats coming and make you clench.

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27605
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby Azhrei Vep » Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 am

John wrote:Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.

Just as good as the first one so far (which is to say, great). I love how he uses the interludes and chapter-opening quotes to tell you whats coming and make you clench.

Oh man. Just you wait. It only gets better. Doesn't even matter where you are in the book, it only gets better.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

User avatar
John
Host
Posts: 4845
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:20 am

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby John » Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:Oh man. Just you wait. It only gets better. Doesn't even matter where you are in the book, it only gets better.


I'm in the first set of interludes. Dinglenuts had just showed up to the plains before they cut away from the main story.

User avatar
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor
Posts: 5342
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:23 pm
Location: South of Boston

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby N00b13 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:48 am

I'm typically a fan of unabridged books audio or dead tree but there are some exceptions. If i had a copy of Robin Hobbs' farseer trilogy abridged it may have been less painful to read.

On the other hand looking at the origenal audiobook release of wwz vs the unabridged you can see that what they left on the cutting room floor wasn't necessary to the plot but expanded the world greatly.

It's like with a movie. The editor is cutting for time and sacrifices need to be made. It can improve or kill a novel.

On the aufio book thing I likr audio books as they are a good way of reading while doing something else. If Im walking somewhere I'll have something playing if its an audio book or podcast or radio play, It's a good way to consume media on the go.

Side note this keyboard is tiny and I'm typing in the dark so I think i coght all the typos but no garontee.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

User avatar
Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear
Posts: 27605
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat May 18, 2019 6:29 am

Hooo boy. Good thing you didn't make any guarantees. That keyboard did no no favors.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress


Return to “Written Word”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest