Fear the Comics

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Fear the Comics

Postby Ikoma » Tue May 04, 2021 4:42 pm

Watched the first few episodes of Invincible and um, yeah, it's good!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Thu May 06, 2021 7:47 am

I spend a lot of time in a comics Slack and someone was talking about wanting to read more Osamu Tezuka. His simple but fluid style made me want to check it out.

So i'm 150 pages into Astro Boy omnibus vol. 1. These stories were written in the 1950s and it feels a little ahead of its time. These comics flow better than the 50s marvel and DC that i've read.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am

Glenn wrote:I spend a lot of time in a comics Slack and someone was talking about wanting to read more Osamu Tezuka. His simple but fluid style made me want to check it out.

So i'm 150 pages into Astro Boy omnibus vol. 1. These stories were written in the 1950s and it feels a little ahead of its time. These comics flow better than the 50s marvel and DC that i've read.

Yeah it really was. Much deeper story when you stop and think about it than what was typically out there for kids at the time.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Fri May 07, 2021 3:10 pm

Wayne wrote:
Glenn wrote:I spend a lot of time in a comics Slack and someone was talking about wanting to read more Osamu Tezuka. His simple but fluid style made me want to check it out.

Yeah it really was. Much deeper story when you stop and think about it than what was typically out there for kids at the time.

Ok, I do have a volume 1 collection of Astro Boy and the first thing I get from this is that it feels a lot like Carl Barks.
And I am a HUGE Barks Duck Man so that is all compliment.
"Story construction is alchemy, not science." - Robin D. Laws
https://thickskull.net/

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Wed May 12, 2021 2:53 pm

ScoobyThulu wrote:
Wayne wrote:

Ok, I do have a volume 1 collection of Astro Boy and the first thing I get from this is that it feels a lot like Carl Barks.
And I am a HUGE Barks Duck Man so that is all compliment.

I'm a big fan of disney comics and have read some Barks, Rosa, and a other disney creators (mostly Italian comic.)

The Barks comics are great but they were hyped so much in my head before I finally got around to reading them I was a little let down. I have three of the fantagraphics volumes and i think thats enough to keep me happy.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:51 am

Glenn wrote:
I'm a big fan of disney comics and have read some Barks, Rosa, and a other disney creators (mostly Italian comic.)

The Barks comics are great but they were hyped so much in my head before I finally got around to reading them I was a little let down. I have three of the fantagraphics volumes and i think thats enough to keep me happy.

Disney comics do not get the fandom and respect that they do in Europe, they are still sellers over there.
For curiosity's sake, which Fantagraphics volumes do you have?

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:29 pm

Carl Barks volumes:

Donald Duck "christmas on Bear Mountain" and "The Old Castles Secret"
Uncle Scrooge "Only A Poor Old Man" and "The Seven Cities of Gold"

Don Rosa:

Volumes 1, 2 and "the life and times of scrooge mcduck" vol 1. (this was a silly purchase because if you buy all the Don Rosa Volumes the life and times is in part of vol 4 and 5.

Mickey Mouse and the Sword of Ice volumes 1 and 2 by Massimo de Vita (these are vol. 9 and 11 of their Disney Masters line)

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:47 pm

I finished omnibus 1 and 2 of Astro Boy. For 1950s comics they were good. My work and family life are stressful so when I sit down to read for 30 minutes at night i just want something simple and relaxing.

I tried to read a big boy novel and stalled out half way through :D . I'm back to One Piece, currently chapter 257. I'm loving it enough that i'm considering buying the series in print. Which is something i rarely do nowadays.

I only buy stuff i plan on rereading multiple times and i could see this series turning into comfort reading the way that Dragon Ball 1-16 for me. I've read those three times now and will randomly pick up any volume and read it on its own when i'm in the mood.

Like i said before. I don't read a lot of manga, but the stuff i do read i love.

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 am

To avoid burn out i'm taking breaks after every One Piece arc. Finished the Skypiea story line.

Next up. Sub-Mariner Epic collection vol 1. I read through most of the marvel silver age between 2014 and 2019. For some reason Namor really grabbed me. I've been a fan of the character ever since. I wanted to reread the whole series because at the time there were MU gaps.

I really like Gene Colan and Marie Severin's art on his solo series.

Last night's reading was FF Annual #1. Johnny's odd gadgets he makes with flame are so ridiculous. He makes a dang sonar headset.

ScoobyThulu
Dan's Road Rubber

Postby ScoobyThulu » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Glenn wrote:
I really like Gene Colan and Marie Severin's art on his solo series.

Gene Colan was awesome, almost too good for comics. Marie Severin was criminally underrated.

Return to “Written Word”