What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
N00b13
Fear the Con Sponsor

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby N00b13 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:21 am

Pratchett was a masterful author, that said not all Discworld books are of the same caliber. Especially the first few before he really found his voice and the last handful when it was slipping away. That said the worst Discworld novel is a solid B+ or A- amazing for most authors but flawed compared to the rest of his work.
Good night sweet prince: And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:01 am

Just finished Elantris. It was good. Not great. I think I'll be able to lead the family book club discussion on it fruitfully. My one brother loved it. My other brother.... didn't. I'm interested to hear what the rest of the family thought of it.

Before that, I read Joe Hill's The Fireman. I loved it... right up until the end. And the end doesn't destroy the entire book for me, but it leaves me filling... unsatisfied. It's the first Joe Hill novel that I haven't been 100% about.

Right now, I'm reading The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. It's a solid read so far. (Only about 10% of the way in.)

Next up will probably be a couple Max Landis books: re-read of World War Z, and first read of Devolution. But who knows, that may change.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:17 am

Ikoma wrote:Just finished Elantris. It was good. Not great. I think I'll be able to lead the family book club discussion on it fruitfully. My one brother loved it. My other brother.... didn't. I'm interested to hear what the rest of the family thought of it.
Oooh, a Yea, Nay, and Meh. Perfect for a discussion!
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

SpacemanNick
BABUSHKA!

Postby SpacemanNick » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:41 pm

In celebration of recently getting a friend of mine to start watching The Expanse TV series, I went and re-plowed through all of The Expanse books and all the short story novellas. It's interesting to compare the two side by side with all of the changes they made, characters that were expanded, characters that were cut entirely, new and dropped plot points and threads, but still essentially telling the same story and getting to the same place when it's all said and done.

I am on one hand:

A) Really Glad(TM) that there's only one more book scheduled to come out later this year supposedly, so we'll hopefully avoid both of the Game of Thrones problems of TV series running out of source material and book series probably never going to be finished.

But on another hand:

B) Worried how they're going to tie up the novel series in one more book in a way that's satisfying.

And on the gripping hand:

C) Sad that the main series will be ending soon. But having said that without treading into heavy spoiler territory here between a couple of the books there's a thirty year freaking time jump and within that vacuum there's a massive amount of untold story potential for spin-off series or letting other authors have their take on the setting a la Star Wars EU style or whatever. Exciting possibilities that it would be very disappointing to see nothing done with.

Random factoid: I attended GenCon a couple years back and it turns out the authors (Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck) were the guests of honor that year and I somehow missed that going in and had no idea they'd be there. Long story short, my copy of Persepolis Rising that I was reading on the train ride* in I was unexpectedly able to get autographed by random dumb luck.

*-PS: 33 hours on an Amtrak really sucks, Do Not Recommend.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Finally, after numerous recommendations from many acquaintances/friends, I've started the Harry Dresden novels. Finished Storm Front and liked it. Liked the writing, loved the narration. My buddy said the series really gets good in the third book. Which, I guess I liked book one enough to put book two on hold at the library. I like that I have only improvement to look forward to.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:13 am

Imaginary Friend
by Stephen Chbosky

I'm about 1/3 of the way through. It's really good. It's long though... Maybe too long? I don't know. I'll know when I get it finished. But I know I have that pleasant knot in my stomach that I get when I read a good horror novel.

Return to “Written Word”