What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby sbonner » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:21 am

Nice!
This is what happens when you let nerds go unwedgied for too long. - Goatunit
FTB on Google+

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:09 am

Leoff wrote:Every bunch of years I like to read it starting in September (with Bilbo's party) and pacing myself to finish in May.

That comes out to around 35 pages a week. Maybe i'll try it that way.

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:52 pm

Ikoma wrote:Currently working on We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. I've been hunting down fiction by Eastern European authors to try and load up the GM inspiration bank for a future RPG campaign I'm planning on running. While doing so, I stumbled on We, written in 1920 by an expatriate Russian living in England and clearly inspired why what he saw going down in his native land. It was apparently a favorite of George Orwell and I can see the lineage there. It's a little hard to follow since none of the characters have what we would call names. They are numbered. It's pretty good. Not 1984 good, but I'm glad I found it.

I enjoyed We. If you are looking for good Eastern European authors check out Road Side Picnic. I also watched the movie and played the video games.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/331 ... ide_Picnic

Night Watch isn't good per se but I did find it fun. I read Night Watch and Day Watch but didn't follow it after that. The movies are pretty fun and got me into the books.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/359375.Night_Watch

I also enjoyed The Witcher, it's a different take on fantasy and it reads like someone's D&D campaign which it likely was. The video game got me into the books but they are both different and similar.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/411 ... collection

I tired to read Metro 2033 after playing the games (which I also enjoyed) but I was winding down a dystopian genre run and kind of bounced off it. I think I was in the mood for something else. The video game story seemed good, I didn't finish the 1st chapter of the book but it had more to do with me at the time.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17274667-metro-2033

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Chad wrote:...suggestions and links...

Thanks for the pointers! I've read the entire Witcher series and really enjoyed it. I also went from video games to books and was retroactively impressed with how well the games got the characters and world right even while they tackle completely different stories.

I've played the Metro games and want to listen to those books but I cannot currently get audio versions (in a language I understand) from my state's library. Similar for the Night Watch series except it's I've seen the movie and want to listen to the books.

I've never heard of Road Side Picnic so I will immediately start hunting for that since your other recommendations are so on point! <grin> EDIT: Ah, it looks like Roadside Picnic is by a pair of authors I have had recommended to me from a couple other sources I trust. So even more reason to hunt this down.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Ikoma wrote:
Chad wrote:...suggestions and links...

Thanks for the pointers! I've read the entire Witcher series and really enjoyed it. I also went from video games to books and was retroactively impressed with how well the games got the characters and world right even while they tackle completely different stories.

I've played the Metro games and want to listen to those books but I cannot currently get audio versions (in a language I understand) from my state's library. Similar for the Night Watch series except it's I've seen the movie and want to listen to the books.

I've never heard of Road Side Picnic so I will immediately start hunting for that since your other recommendations are so on point! <grin> EDIT: Ah, it looks like Roadside Picnic is by a pair of authors I have had recommended to me from a couple other sources I trust. So even more reason to hunt this down.

:thumbup:

Glad to help. I really enjoyed Road Side Picnic, it was and still is a fresh take on sci fi. The games are old but really good (with proper modding) and the I enjoyed the movie (which is not for everyone, very slow, very art house).

Also, did you see the sequel to the movie Night Watch? It's called Day Watch.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:13 pm

I have not yet seen the Night Watch sequels. Also on my 'To See' list... [not enough time... :( ]

lightningcat
'something' per Dan's request

Postby lightningcat » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:49 pm

Ikoma wrote:I have not yet seen the Night Watch sequels. Also on my 'To See' list... [not enough time... :( ]

I own Day Watch, got it along with Night Watch. I have heard of Twilight Watch, but not seen it, or even sure if it was made yet. :?
Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
---{----------
My take on a Transformer's RPG

zircher
Considering a +1 Tattoo

Postby zircher » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:44 am

Hardwired and The Tsim Sha Tsui expansion, a cyberpunk miniatures rules set. And, Game Development with Blender.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:25 pm

Following up on the Naomi Novik Eastern European folk tale adaption, I'm about a third of the way through Enchanted by Orson Scott Card. I wish I liked it more. It's not bad. It's just fine. Orson Scott Card wrote one of my top five books of all time (Ender's Game) and I've really enjoyed other books he's written both in that universe and in others as well (his Alvin the Maker series is another loved set of books).

This Enchanted has nothing to do with the Disney live action princess movie staring Amy Adams. And while this is certainly an adaptation of a fairy tale (blending some Sleeping Beauty with some Snow White) set in 9th century Eastern Europe, it has as much to do with the Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court sub-genre of boot-strap time travel. Which is another genre I love... this should be a slam dunk. But the exposition slows down so often for OSC to explain tidbits of his historical accuracy that the story keeps stalling. I hope that at some point, that stops happening and we can just have our time traveling hero save the kingdom from the wicked queen.

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:40 pm

Doing a re-read/first read of everything in Joe Abercrombie's First Law setting. I picked up the latest, A Little Hatred, and reading it showed me that I'd forgotten a hell of a lot about the prior events. So I grabbed the other books, including the short story collection that I hadn't got round to yet, and started again at the beginning.
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

Return to “Written Word”