What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Post your thoughts on books, short stories, comics, or any other form of written word.
sbonner
Hot Cherry Bendovers!

Re: What are you reading now? Provide links PLZ

Postby sbonner » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 am

2/3rds of the way through Grant by Ron Chernow. It is excellent, but exceedingly long. He belabors Grant's drinking all out of proportion, but I guess that's in line with how Grant's contemporaries belabored his drinking.

I'm developing a huge respect for how practical and forward-thinking Grant was.
This is what happens when you let nerds go unwedgied for too long. - Goatunit
FTB on Google+

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:54 am

I'm having trouble decided on what to read next. I have two Drizzt books that have been on the to read list for a long time. They might be the last two of the series. No more are announced but Salvatore and Wizards have been very silent on if its the end or not.

James Enge's The Wide World's End. Another volume in his excellent, but weird, Morlock series.

And i've been wanting to reread The Silmarillion. I started the first few pages. Something always comes up that makes me stop. I feel like i need a good chunk of time to really get into this.

okeefe
Dapper Metroid

Postby okeefe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Glenn wrote:And i've been wanting to reread The Silmarillion. I started the first few pages. Something always comes up that makes me stop. I feel like i need a good chunk of time to really get into this.

And some caffeine. And a good night's rest beforehand.

And methamphetamines.
“You have made an enemy of the birds, my friend.”

Leoff
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Leoff » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:49 pm

okeefe wrote:
Glenn wrote:And i've been wanting to reread The Silmarillion. I started the first few pages. Something always comes up that makes me stop. I feel like i need a good chunk of time to really get into this.

And methamphetamines.

I'd just go for a good glass of wine, or a hot toddy (depending on the season).

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:11 am

Leoff wrote:
okeefe wrote:

And methamphetamines.

I'd just go for a good glass of wine, or a hot toddy (depending on the season).

What i meant by something is that I always have some kind of obligation or some chore around the house that needs to be done. Not that i find the Silmarillion difficult to get into. Tolkien's writing style is like rafting down a slow curvy river. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

Glorious_Leader wrote:Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey. Just getting to the point The Expanse season 1 ended at, so I'm stoked to see what happens next. Really good book if you like your science fiction to put the emphasis on the science.

I just started this series on the insistent recommendation of a friend. I'm about halfway through book two now and enjoying it. Not to the level of "stop what you're doing and catch up on 8 books" but probably to the level of "read one for every second/third novel you read until you're caught up"

Glenn
I am the story stick

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 am

I ended up going with the Silmarillion. I'm trying to read for 30 minutes every night before going to sleep. I've realized that reading a novel helps relax my mind in ways that comics just don't.

John
Host

Postby John » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:01 am

Glenn wrote:I ended up going with the Silmarillion. I'm trying to read for 30 minutes every night before going to sleep. I've realized that reading a novel helps relax my mind in ways that comics just don't.

Yes. Reading something on paper or non-backlight screen for 20-30 minutes before bed beats the tar out of flipping tabs or your smartphone until you collapse.

I am listening to the Audible performance of Dune right now. It has bubbled to the top of my "books you love but haven't read for 10+ years" list. I don't think this is going to blossom into a full on five-sequel-and-shai-hulud-knows-how-many-fanfic-books delve back into the series but who knows. Messiah is short and Children is really good so maybe I'll go that far again. God Emperor is where I get off the train.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:13 pm

John wrote:God Emperor is where I get off the train.

Or buy a huge bag of weed.
Have you found the yellow sign?

DistinctlyBenign
Holder of FtB's One Opinion

Postby DistinctlyBenign » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Had about a half hour to kill in town yesterday so I wandered into the bookstore and that's never a good idea.

I grabbed Simon vs the Homo-Sapiens Agenda, which is what the movie 'Love, Simon' is based off of. I'm about 1/4th of the way through it and I'm digging it so far. It has a very John Green vibe to it, which I know is a mixed reaction to a lot of people but I really like his books.

I also grabbed some Miss Marvel (Kamala Khan) comics. There was a hard cover collection that was discounted 66% off because it has some ink on the outside of some of the pages, so I grabbed that and the second soft-cover collection, so now I have up to issue 19.
mumblebear wrote:You try to remember your anniversary. Roll 2d6.

Return to “Written Word”