Jupiter's Legacy

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Wayne
Host

Jupiter's Legacy

Postby Wayne » Sun May 09, 2021 10:40 pm

Has anyone else started watching Jupiter's Legacy on Netflix? I am a huge fan of the comic, but it has been quite a few years since I read it last. The show I find is telling the story in it's own way but capturing the theme possibly better than the comic it is based on. I don't want to give too much away, but it is a Superhero deconstruction looking into what a Legacy means. What is the legacy a person leave behind when they are gone? What pressure does being the child of the world's greatest superhero put on a person and how do they react. Do they snap and rebel or try to live up to an ideal that isn't realistic. Can a person be so caught up in their legacy that they can't see the world changing around them? Finally what do you do when the Legacy you were so proud of turns out to be one of corruption?

The TV show seems to cover more of the action than I remember the comic doing, but it does not fail to deliver the family drama. I struggled a bit with the first episode but after that it pulled me in and started delivering the type of story beats that I loved from the comic.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Jupiter's Legacy

Postby clintmemo » Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 am

Mrs Memo and I watched the whole thing Friday night and Saturday.

And I'm not sure why, neither of us thought it was very good. It does deliver on the family drama and some of the characters are interesting, but the way it tells the story is a bit of a mess. We kept watching it to get the answers to our questions and some of them were sort of answered.
Plus - I called the big reveal at the end way back in the first episode.

Now that I've trashed it, I'll add that if there is a season 2, we'll certainly watch it because we want to know where it goes next. It feels a bit like a guilty pleasure.
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon May 10, 2021 11:42 am

I wanna watch it. But then I see the white hair and something just... sets me off and I pick something else.

However, now that I have a good review in my back pocket from someone who I know knows their comic stuff, I think I'll be able to get over that hump and get into it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Tue May 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Ikoma wrote:I wanna watch it. But then I see the white hair and something just... sets me off and I pick something else.

However, now that I have a good review in my back pocket from someone who I know knows their comic stuff, I think I'll be able to get over that hump and get into it.

Since you just plowed through Invincible, make sure you set the bar a bit lower.
Retirement Date: 3 years or 1 bad day

Return to “Moving Pictures”