Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [SPOILERS THAT NUMBER LIKE STARS IN THE GALAXY]

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [SPOILERS THAT NUMBER LIKE STARS IN THE GALAXY]

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:35 pm

Let's talk about this movie......

.... <junk area for apps that preview>

This is my least favorite Star Wars movie. There was nothing in this movie that made me want to go back and watch it again. Every other Star Wars movie has at least some segments that are worth reviewing just for the theme park aspect. Even the much maligned Phantom Menace has a great opening sequence and Darth Maul at the end.

Not this one.

This movie seemed to have no emotional impact one me. It had too much plot and much of it was poorly presented. Some of it was totally unnecessary. The example that really stood out for me as C-3PO and their need to wipe his memory (which of course they undid like 10 minutes later). First off, why do it? It served no purpose other than to frustrate the main characters and give them yet another obstacle to quickly overcome. They could have saved the screen time or devoted it to better scenes by just having C3PO translate it. Secondly, if there were going to do it, they should have done it well instead of half-heartedly. Ok, maybe torturing C3PO is a necessity of Star Wars (by my count, he's had his arm amputated, been busted apart and put back together wrong, had his head put on the wrong robot body and had his memory wiped now twice). It could have been comedy gold having C3PO go through a third of the movie as if he had never seen any of this before. It could also have been a vehicle to instill a sense of wonder (something this movie sorely lacks) by seeing things through his eyes.
But we don't have time for any of that.
All we get is one decent line about seeing his friends for the last time, maybe one or two quick jokes (which I don't remember) and then the whole thing is essentially retconned by R2D2.
This movie is full of things like this - Interesting ideas that are never explored or just waved away.
Palpatine is alive? How is that possible? <handwavy sith stuff>
Part of Death Star II crashed on the moon of Endor? What did that do to the planet? <Um - it made ocean waves>
Lando is alive? What has he been doing all this time? <apparently a lot of nothing>
Lando needs to recruit more pilots? How is that going? <we'll handle that off screen>
You can do radical quick jumping? How can we use that later in the movie? <we won't>
The empire has planet killing guns that can be put in a Star Destroyer? How is that possible? <who knows?>(all I could think of when I saw that as how phallic they looked - like giant, triangular, horny space dogs.)
The sith have recruited 10 football stadiums of followers in secret? How did they do that without anyone noticing? <secretly of course>
Rey is a Palpatine (I actually like that twist)? How and when did the Emperor have kids? <um...in the past?>
If Palpatine had kids, who was their mom? <um....?>

What is more frustrating is seeing some of the members of the cast in other movies where they demonstrate how good they are as actors and their talents are so wasted here - Adam Driver (Black Klansman), Oscar Issac and Domnall Gleeson (Ex Machina), Richard E Grant (tons of things)....

Personally, I hope they put Star Wars to bed for a while and bring it back for a new trilogy in a decade or so.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Wayne
Host

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [SPOILERS THAT NUMBER LIKE STARS IN THE GALAXY]

Postby Wayne » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:51 pm

I assumed the tides were because it is a moon and the planet would have a stringer gravitational pull on water of a moon than a moon would on planetary water.

As for letting it reat that isn't going to happen. They are done with the main story that is the Skywalker family saga. They don't plan on doing trilogies anymore. Standalones, unlimited series, etc are planned for the future that are not tied to Skywalkers.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [SPOILERS THAT NUMBER LIKE STARS IN THE GALAXY]

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:26 pm

Wayne wrote:I assumed the tides were because it is a moon and the planet would have a stringer gravitational pull on water of a moon than a moon would on planetary water.

As for letting it reat that isn't going to happen. They are done with the main story that is the Skywalker family saga. They don't plan on doing trilogies anymore. Standalones, unlimited series, etc are planned for the future that are not tied to Skywalkers.

When did that change?

Last year, they said the exact opposite.

Of course, from what I've read, Disney wants Kathleen Kennedy gone so it's anyone's guess what happens next.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:53 pm

It really felt like JJ tried to cram two movies worth of ideas into 1 movie and ruined almost all of them in the execution as a result.

I do still think the cast is great, especially Adam Driver, and his arch is the most compelling thing in the whole trilogy to me. But it had absolutely no room to breath.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:04 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Wayne wrote:I assumed the tides were because it is a moon and the planet would have a stringer gravitational pull on water of a moon than a moon would on planetary water.

When did that change?

Last year, they said the exact opposite.

Of course, from what I've read, Disney wants Kathleen Kennedy gone so it's anyone's guess what happens next.

https://www.thewrap.com/three-star-wars-films-added-to-disney-release-slate-through-2026/

That article is from May. Kevin Feige has an idea for a movie and it looks like it may be the 2022 one.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:15 pm

Well, if the Mandalorian has proven anything, it's that Star Wars can exist in a episodic form. We don't necessarily need to see movies anymore.

Also, there was finally a good Star Wars game made during the EA deal, which started in 2013 and lasts 10 years.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:17 pm

mindtakerr wrote:Well, if the Mandalorian has proven anything, it's that Star Wars can exist in a episodic form. We don't necessarily need to see movies anymore.

Also, there was finally a good Star Wars game made during the EA deal, which started in 2013 and lasts 10 years.

Pffft, Mandalorian didn't prove shit. Clone Wars took care of that a decade ago. It just reinforced a well-known fact.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
mindtakerr wrote:Well, if the Mandalorian has proven anything, it's that Star Wars can exist in a episodic form. We don't necessarily need to see movies anymore.

Pffft, Mandalorian didn't prove shit. Clone Wars took care of that a decade ago. It just reinforced a well-known fact.

I meant a Disney-run show. I should have specified.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:33 pm

mindtakerr wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:

I meant a Disney-run show. I should have specified.

Oh, okay then. Ahem.

Pffft, Mandalorian didn't prove shit. Rebels took care of that years ago. It just reinforced a moderaly-unknown fact.

:P
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:01 am

After thinking about it one thing that sticks out to me is that Leia was definitely supposed to have a bigger part of this movie amd her relationship with Rey was definitely supposed to come to a much more satisfying conclusion. Han was the legacy tie in for part 1, Luke for part 2 etc.

But for reasons that are as tragic as they are obvious, they couldn't pull it off.

Return to “Moving Pictures”