Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [NO SPOILERS]

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [NO SPOILERS]

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:Also, its name is dumb and the tacked-on-feeling scene to justify that name is also dumb.

Yet another thing that was handled poorly. A few extra lines in previous scenes could have set that up as a satisfying conclusion.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:44 pm

clintmemo wrote:With a contrary point of view, let me just add that the answer to the question "what is my least favorite Star Wars movie" has now been answered.

While I agree with the comments about lack of buildup and using the scroll to introduce plot that should have been shown I still think it was WAY better than Solo and The Last Jedi.

It took too many shortcuts and JJ really needed the second movie to build up to this one instead of having a different director not onboard with the overall story. The stakes felt unearned and the emotional impact of reveals unexplored. Lots of loose ends left untied.

Still a fun movie. I enjoyed it.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:44 pm

clintmemo wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:Also, its name is dumb and the tacked-on-feeling scene to justify that name is also dumb.

Yet another thing that was handled poorly. A few extra lines in previous scenes could have set that up as a satisfying conclusion.

I can't imagine a story that would make the name not have been a stupid name.

Bai Shen
Skies of Glass Historian

Postby Bai Shen » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:51 pm

Haven't seen it yet. Have to wait 'til next year.

Apparently there was something in the scroll that was answered in Fortnite instead of the movie.
Vote Mumblebear/CHAINSAW

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Bai Shen wrote:Haven't seen it yet. Have to wait 'til next year.

Apparently there was something in the scroll that was answered in Fortnite instead of the movie.

Huh, really? I wasn't aware of that. If that's not an exaggeration or just a dumb meme, that's incredibly stupid.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:01 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:

Huh, really? I wasn't aware of that. If that's not an exaggeration or just a dumb meme, that's incredibly stupid.

Yeah I heard about the message being sent out in fortnite. That was ridiculously stupid of them. Sure it is popular but how big is the player base vs the number of people who will see the movie? How much crossover is there? More importantly how does the one have anything at all to do with the other? Is was probably one of the most asinine advertising campaigns I have ever heard of.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rise-skywalker-emperor-palpatine-message-fortnite/

mindtakerr
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby mindtakerr » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:33 am

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I admit, though, I am on a bit of Star Wars kick with just finishing Jedi Fallen Order and the Mandalorian. This was quite a year for Star Wars!

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:54 pm

mindtakerr wrote:I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I admit, though, I am on a bit of Star Wars kick with just finishing Jedi Fallen Order and the Mandalorian. This was quite a year for Star Wars!

Mandalorian was fantastic. And the very end gave me a huge messy fangasm. High fives all around for The Mandalorian.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

McNutcase
Yea, verily yea.

Postby McNutcase » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:57 pm

Wayne wrote:
Azhrei Vep wrote:

Yeah I heard about the message being sent out in fortnite. That was ridiculously stupid of them. Sure it is popular but how big is the player base vs the number of people who will see the movie? How much crossover is there? More importantly how does the one have anything at all to do with the other? Is was probably one of the most asinine advertising campaigns I have ever heard of.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rise-skywalker-emperor-palpatine-message-fortnite/

Well that does absolutely nothing to disprove the "a bunch of eight year olds" hypothesis...
Cardholding member, Wile E. Coyote Skydiving Club

https://www.amazon.com/author/silashumphreys

THAC0
ZCE's Grandmother's Quantum Cat

Postby THAC0 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:53 am

Hey all. I just want to say I appreciate that I can come back to this forum for a diverse collection of opinions. Long story short - my current, more frequently visited forum (Discord group) often suffers from rampant blind faith fanboyism.
I think its fine to be a fan, but when it doesn't leave any room for objectivity or critical review then it just a lot of "fingersnails-on-chalkboard".
If you enjoyed RoS, GREAT!
Personally I didn't like RoS, nor any SW movie made this century except Rogue One. But opinions are like assholes, right?

If you've seen ClintMemo's breakdown of RoS, :agree:

Return to “Moving Pictures”