Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [NO SPOILERS]

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
tombombodil
3 for 3

Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [NO SPOILERS]

Postby tombombodil » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:52 am

It was very fun! Visually stunning, with exciting action and good melodrama. Pretty much everything I want from a Star Wars movie.

It isn't as interesting as the last one, but that's fine in my book. With how meta this new trilogy has been (they're all very narratively self aware that they are new sequels to a legendary franchise) it's fitting that this feels like "The Return of the Jedi" to episode 8's "Empire Strikes Back" in terms of tone and the degree to which it shakes up the formula.
Have you found the yellow sign?

Sith_Mafia
Official FtC Dealer

Re: Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker [NO SPOILERS]

Postby Sith_Mafia » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:22 am

took the kids and we all enjoyed it. it was honestly better than i was expecting. i liked it about the same as 8. they crammed in so much stuff, it will take some time to digest
-Casey

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:21 am

Sith_Mafia wrote:took the kids and we all enjoyed it. it was honestly better than i was expecting. i liked it about the same as 8. they crammed in so much stuff, it will take some time to digest

That is definitely true. I think I'll definitely have a much better appreciation for the sweep of this new trilogy in a few years after they've all been our for a while.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:00 am

With a contrary point of view, let me just add that the answer to the question "what is my least favorite Star Wars movie" has now been answered.

My theory is that JJ Abrams went to two 8 year old boys and asked them what he should put in the next Star Wars movie and they said "<this> and <this> and <this> and bring back <this> and <this> would be so cool and <this> and <this> and pew! pew! pew!"

so he just made that movie.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Lord Foul
Rolled to Meet a Good Group on the Internet and Got a Crit

Postby Lord Foul » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:07 am

clintmemo wrote:With a contrary point of view, let me just add that the answer to the question "what is my least favorite Star Wars movie" has now been answered.

My theory is that JJ Abrams went to two 8 year old boys and asked them what he should put in the next Star Wars movie and they said "<this> and <this> and <this> and bring back <this> and <this> would be so cool and <this> and <this> and pew! pew! pew!"

That sounds like pretty much all of them to me. :eh:
"...with frikin' lasers!"

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:31 am

Welp. That was fine.

Makes a terrible sequel to The Last Jedi, but a pretty decent one to The Force Awakens. Undid one of the things I really liked from Jedi, and did something really just unbearably dumb with it instead.

And ... well, frankly, it needed room to breathe. They should have abandoned the 'trilogy' idea and just made this into 9 and 10. It would have worked better that way.

Overall, I'd place it last among the sequel trilogy. Clone Wars and Rebels remain dominant as my go-to for Star Wars.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:07 am

Lord Foul wrote:
clintmemo wrote:With a contrary point of view, let me just add that the answer to the question "what is my least favorite Star Wars movie" has now been answered.

That sounds like pretty much all of them to me. :eh:

Star Wars is about spectacle. Spectacle requires build up and emotional impact. This movie has neither.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:21 am

clintmemo wrote:Star Wars is about spectacle. Spectacle requires build up and emotional impact. This movie has neither.
In fact, it mostly chucked any buildup from the previous movie, and then didn't bother to provide any of its own.

Hell, they drop the return of a previously dead villain in the opening crawl, including saying he publicly revealed himself in a threatening message to the galaxy. Something that could easily have been actually been shown, to y'know ... build up to him or something. But naw ... he's here, opening crawl says so.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

clintmemo

Postby clintmemo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:
clintmemo wrote:Star Wars is about spectacle. Spectacle requires build up and emotional impact. This movie has neither.
In fact, it mostly chucked any buildup from the previous movie, and then didn't bother to provide any of its own.

Hell, they drop the return of a previously dead villain in the opening crawl, including saying he publicly revealed himself in a threatening message to the galaxy. Something that could easily have been actually been shown, to y'know ... build up to him or something. But naw ... he's here, opening crawl says so.

Yes. It completely mishandled several plot elements that way. Some of them not even necessary to the plot. It had 20 half-assed things instead of 10 whole-ass things.

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Also, its name is dumb and the tacked-on-feeling scene to justify that name is also dumb.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Return to “Moving Pictures”