The Mandalorian

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: The Mandalorian

Postby Ikoma » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:01 am

Wihzerd wrote:Also, I wonder if Han Solo had to worry about this sort of thing when he was the most wanted man in the galaxy. Maybe the tracking fob tech is new and was only implemented some time after the Battle of Endor.

Great question! My first thought is that Han did have to deal with the tracking fob thing and that's why bounty hunters kept finding him. I mean, we don't know how Greedo and Boba Fett tracked him down but they did. I assume Jabba only had a single hunter (Greedo) out for Han initially but the Empire probably sprung for that whole bounty hunting crew. It would add to why Han felt he had to take the reward and run before the battle at Yavin IV. Even if the Rebellion won, it wouldn't stop Jabba's bounty hunters (aided by tracking fobs) from hunting him down eventually. Better to clear the debt now.

And I LOVED Episode 7. Very excited to see how Episode 8 plays out. We gout ourselves a classic 'hopeless situation' for our hero to escape from.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:41 am

Ikoma wrote:
Wihzerd wrote:Also, I wonder if Han Solo had to worry about this sort of thing when he was the most wanted man in the galaxy. Maybe the tracking fob tech is new and was only implemented some time after the Battle of Endor.

Great question! My first thought is that Han did have to deal with the tracking fob thing and that's why bounty hunters kept finding him.
Like the one that they ran into on Ord Mantell, mentioned in an argument between Han and Leia in Echo Base on Hoth.

Ikoma wrote:I mean, we don't know how Greedo and Boba Fett tracked him down but they did. I assume Jabba only had a single hunter (Greedo) out for Han initially but the Empire probably sprung for that whole bounty hunting crew. It would add to why Han felt he had to take the reward and run before the battle at Yavin IV. Even if the Rebellion won, it wouldn't stop Jabba's bounty hunters (aided by tracking fobs) from hunting him down eventually. Better to clear the debt now.

Not quite right there. Greedo wasn't the only hunter looking for Han prior to the Battle of Yavin. He said so himself.
Greedo wrote:Jabba's put a price on your head so large every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you. I'm lucky I found you first.

We also saw Boba Fett with Jabba waiting for Han to return to the Millennium Falcon in the special editions. (Side note: Whether we like it or not, the most recent version of a movie is the cannon version.)

Being wanted by the Empire most certainly didn't help Han's chances of avoiding capture, but all it REALLY changed was that Boba Fett got paid twice. Boba Fett, IG-88, 4-LOM, Dengar, and Bossk would have been looking for the most wanted man in the galaxy anyway.

I think if Han did have a fob tracking issue, the Empire wouldn't have had any problems finding the Falcon in the asteroid field and parking on the back of a Star Destroyer wouldn't have worked.

Edit: Depending on however the heck the tech is supposed to work...
Last edited by Wihzerd on Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:42 am

My plot issue was how quickly carbonite technology went from something new where they didn't even know if a person would survive to something easy to miniaturize in a ship and regularly accepted.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:59 am

Wayne wrote:My plot issue was how quickly carbonite technology went from something new where they didn't even know if a person would survive to something easy to miniaturize in a ship and regularly accepted.

The issue with the carbon-freezing chamber on Bespin was that it was designed for industrial applications, not medical applications. Carbonite has been used to put people in hibernation since before hyperdrives were invented.

Fast-acting, miniaturized models? I'll give you that one. That's new.

Wihzerd

Postby Wihzerd » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:49 am

The latest episode gave an explanation for the 'never remove their helmets' tradition and why that previously wasn't the case in SW: The Clone Wars and SW: Rebels. My head canon up to this point was that the Mandalorians are a scattered, clan-based society; therefore, one clan's strict helmet rules need not universally apply to all Mandalorians. My assumption was spot on, apparently.

Side note: it's interesting to see a live-action version of Bo-Katan. Similar to how SW: Rebels was a successor to SW: The Clone Wars, SW: The Mandalorian seems to be a successor to SW: Rebels. SW: Resistance never had that kind of connection.

Wayne
Host

Postby Wayne » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Wihzerd wrote:The latest episode gave an explanation for the 'never remove their helmets' tradition and why that previously wasn't the case in SW: The Clone Wars and SW: Rebels. My head canon up to this point was that the Mandalorians are a scattered, clan-based society; therefore, one clan's strict helmet rules need not universally apply to all Mandalorians. My assumption was spot on, apparently.

Side note: it's interesting to see a live-action version of Bo-Katan. Similar to how SW: Rebels was a successor to SW: The Clone Wars, SW: The Mandalorian seems to be a successor to SW: Rebels. SW: Resistance never had that kind of connection.

This last episode was great for moving the plot along, giving us live action versions of characters, and finally answering the helmet thing. I was very happy with it.
Clementine Paddleford wrote:Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:36 pm

The show continues to be deeply set in the greater Star Wars universe while also being a fun little immediate story. In the end, I don't want Djin or the Child to be 'important' people in the setting, just a pair of sentients making their way in a giant universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Ikoma wrote:The show continues to be deeply set in the greater Star Wars universe while also being a fun little immediate story. In the end, I don't want Djin or the Child to be 'important' people in the setting, just a pair of sentients making their way in a giant universe.

Agreed. I think that's part of the disappointment we've had with most of the movies since the original trilogy (hell even maybe since ROTJ). Darth Vader and the original three heroes+two droids are awesome but we really don't need a universe in which everyone important is related to them and they're related to each other.

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:11 pm

John wrote:
Ikoma wrote:The show continues to be deeply set in the greater Star Wars universe while also being a fun little immediate story. In the end, I don't want Djin or the Child to be 'important' people in the setting, just a pair of sentients making their way in a giant universe.

Agreed. I think that's part of the disappointment we've had with most of the movies since the original trilogy (hell even maybe since ROTJ). Darth Vader and the original three heroes+two droids are awesome but we really don't need a universe in which everyone important is related to them and they're related to each other.

I feel like the only truly compelling, multi-dimensional new character that has been introduced in the Movies since ROTJ that both rhymes with older star wars while being vital and vibrant on their own is Kylo Ren, and his arch throughout the new trilogy is one of the few consistent through lines (give or take). It helps that Adam Driver absolute owns in the role.
Have you found the yellow sign?

John
Host

Postby John » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 pm

Yeah he was certainly the best of the sequel trilogy main characters whether you consider what the writers did with him or Adam Driver's acting.

I don't even really mind a good story with stock characters. Rogue One had a big heist crew and few of them had any depicted interior life beyond hating the Empire and having a skill or two to bring to the heist and that was fine by me.

Return to “Moving Pictures”