The Mandalorian

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Re: The Mandalorian

Postby clintmemo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:13 am

Chad wrote:
Ikoma wrote:
John wrote:The only criticism that has landed with me so far is that it sort of wastes Pedro Pascal's acting skill to put him in a full face-shielding armor suit but I'm sure that will change.

I'm not sure I buyinto that criticism. Yes, he cannot use his facial expressions. Which is forcing him to rely on movement, tilt of the head, tension in the shoulders, posture, etc. Plus, voice acting on a sparse set of dialog. He's acting the hell out of a very limited tool kit. Which is sometimes where magic can happen. Art needs limitations to force it to grow.

As someone who loves the Marvel films one of things that annoys me is how often they run around without their masks on and how often they take them off to say a few lines, put them on to fly around or fight, then whip them off again for their close ups.

Everyone learned from Sam Raimi's mistake - even Sam himself.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:57 am

clintmemo wrote:
Chad wrote:
Ikoma wrote:
John wrote:The only criticism that has landed with me so far is that it sort of wastes Pedro Pascal's acting skill to put him in a full face-shielding armor suit but I'm sure that will change.

I'm not sure I buyinto that criticism. Yes, he cannot use his facial expressions. Which is forcing him to rely on movement, tilt of the head, tension in the shoulders, posture, etc. Plus, voice acting on a sparse set of dialog. He's acting the hell out of a very limited tool kit. Which is sometimes where magic can happen. Art needs limitations to force it to grow.

As someone who loves the Marvel films one of things that annoys me is how often they run around without their masks on and how often they take them off to say a few lines, put them on to fly around or fight, then whip them off again for their close ups.

I think the best thing they found to a middle-ground (aside from picking characters that just don't wear masks), is the "cutting to Iron Man's internal helmet cam" trick which work's pretty well imo.
Have you found the yellow sign?

JediSoth
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Postby JediSoth » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:14 pm

tombombodil wrote:
Ikoma wrote:Worked for me last night. The girls (re)-watched High School Musical. Then I watched The Mandalorian once they went to bed.

I am in. From the first scene, the team behind this are exhibiting a confidence and control that is impressive. Pilots are hard. This one scored. I love how little (and how much) we know about the Mandalorian. I love how seamlessly - and wordlessly - this fits into the larger Star Wars universe. Everything about the four storm troopers *screams* backstory. Backstory we aren't told. And the final reveal. Yeah, I want it now. Making me wait a week for the next episode is only gonna make me want it more.

Wait it's a show?

Yes, a weekly show on the Disney+ streaming service. The pilot aired on Tuesday(ish) and the second episode the following Friday. Subsequent episodes air on Fridays. I think there are 8 total in this first season.
JediSoth
Fantasy/Sci-Fi Author
@hccummings (Twitter)

goatunit
Has 3! 3 copies! *Thud* er... 2! 2 copies!

Postby goatunit » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:21 pm

I wouldn't push it on anybody who doesn't love Star Wars already, but I think it's good. For a genre show, especially. I told a friend that if it was the fourth movie in the original trilogy then it would be the worst of them, but not jarringly so. It fits in. And if you like Star Wars like I do, then fitting in with the originals is plenty.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Really dug episode four. Nice Kurosawa nods.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:59 pm

A friend of mine and I were arguing about whether or not the Holiday Special was canon (though I think he was just messing with my head), and in my search for data supporting my points I noticed something that I can't unsee.

I've seen the holiday special before (a painful way to a spend a couple of hours), but it wasn't until I pulled out my phone during that discussion that I realized the Mandalorian's pulse rifle is an homage to this weapon design from the Boba Fett cartoon.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:38 am

tombombodil wrote:
clintmemo wrote:
Chad wrote:
Ikoma wrote:

I think the best thing they found to a middle-ground (aside from picking characters that just don't wear masks), is the "cutting to Iron Man's internal helmet cam" trick which work's pretty well imo.

Iron Man's internal helmet cam is genius.

But....besides Spider-man, who else in the MCU actually wears a mask?
Antman and Black Panther?
I don't think anyone else wears one.
2020 Goal: Develop a side hustle

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:11 am

Add in Rhodey, Beck, sometimes Quill, Night Monkey, and briefly Barnes. Can't think of any others.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am

Azhrei Vep wrote:Add in Rhodey, Beck, sometimes Quill, Night Monkey, and briefly Barnes. Can't think of any others.

Occasionally Captain Marvel and Captain America do. Ant-Man's partner Wasp has a mask as part of their costumes.

Then we have the TV heroes... which are kinda MCU? Iron Fist and Daredevil wear masks but none of the others do on Netflix. But I don't remember any of the Runaways or Cloak & Dagger teens wearing masks.

Lot's of villains have. But not all.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:53 am

I'll admit, I've been wondering how the tracking fobs work since the first episode and we've yet to hear an explanation. With one episode left in the season, I doubt we will.

You'd think the targets would have been tagged by a tracker implant or something, but that raises questions. How and why would they have been tagged in the first place and why aren't removal or signal jamming viable options?

If the targets aren't tagged, what kind of super specialized life signs detector can manage that level of precision? How does it know what to look for? Does it look for readings based on prior scans of the target? If so, how and why were these scans acquired?

Also, I wonder if Han Solo had to worry about this sort of thing when he was the most wanted man in the galaxy. Maybe the tracking fob tech is new and was only implemented some time after the Battle of Endor.

Return to “Moving Pictures”