Star wars "Fake"

Seen any good movies or TV shows lately? Or anything so bad you just have to vent?
Fridrik
Monostat Fanfic Writer

Star wars "Fake"

Postby Fridrik » Wed May 08, 2019 12:54 pm

So good.

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Re: Star wars "Fake"

Postby Ikoma » Wed May 08, 2019 4:52 pm

Wow!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Azhrei Vep
Drinks like a Bear

Postby Azhrei Vep » Wed May 08, 2019 9:24 pm

I'm not a super big fan of fancying up the Obi-Wan vs Vader 'fight', such as it was ... but this does include something that I wish there was much more of in all lightsaber fights: Incidental collateral damage. You barely ever see any damage to the environment in official Star Wars that isn't deliberate.
Julia wrote:You don't understand the amount of dick I get ... in my giant American Hoohah.
PS Fuck you Cafepress

tombombodil
3 for 3

Postby tombombodil » Wed May 08, 2019 10:23 pm

Azhrei Vep wrote:I'm not a super big fan of fancying up the Obi-Wan vs Vader 'fight', such as it was

Same. Gives me flashbacks to the ridiculous absurd sterile choreography from the prequel that destroyed my suspension of disbelief and turned the thing into half ballet half farce.

I think the big fight with Rey and Kylo vs the red guard was the closest the movies have come to finding a good middle ground between it being clunky and inelegant and being faux crouching tiger hidden stupid.
Have you found the yellow sign?

keithcurtis
IT'S OVER 9000!

Postby keithcurtis » Wed May 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Sorry, Mark Hamill's form in RotJ has made him my favorite duelist in the series. Everyone else looks like a dancer or a cartoon character. He's the only one I thought looked like he was really fencing rather than just making a series of dramatic moves.

Wihzerd
LF's frikin' laser attendant

Postby Wihzerd » Thu May 09, 2019 8:12 am

Regarding the video, I think they did a good job adapting the fight scene to appear like the more energetic fight scenes of the prequels. Kenobi's face looked very awkwardly composited at times, though. Overall, it was a pretty neat fan project that I enjoyed.

Regarding lightsaber fights in general:

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 am

The video on how they should fight is interesting but it is based on the assumption that the blade weighs nothing. That makes sense if you think of a light saber as a laser sword, but if you base your conclusions on how they are portrayed in the movie, that obviously isn't the case. They are swung around as if they had at least some weight (which I'm sure the props did). Also, if they are just laser swords, how does one blade block another?
A light saber is a made-up thing. The only conclusions you can draw about it are really what we see in the movie.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Ikoma
Actually Slew the Baron

Postby Ikoma » Thu May 09, 2019 11:34 am

Right. In canon sources (or perhaps they are not now canon sources?), it has been said that the light saber is a magnetic field trapping a plasma. That kind of intense magnetic field has impacts on the world around it and is impacted by the world around it. Specifically, they describe it as having a resistance. The field doesn't want to move. The field also doesn't to stop once it is moving. Which would 'feel' a lot like weight. And the non intuitive nature of that resistance is part of what made light sabers the weapon of the jedi and only the jedi. It literally took the force to coax the weapon into swinging properly. Non-jedi would end up hurting themselves. Because without that limitation, why does everyone not carry the cool weapon/tool that can cut through almost anything?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chad
Host

Postby Chad » Thu May 09, 2019 11:48 am

Ikoma wrote:Right. In canon sources (or perhaps they are not now canon sources?), it has been said that the light saber is a magnetic field trapping a plasma. That kind of intense magnetic field has impacts on the world around it and is impacted by the world around it. Specifically, they describe it as having a resistance. The field doesn't want to move. The field also doesn't to stop once it is moving. Which would 'feel' a lot like weight. And the non intuitive nature of that resistance is part of what made light sabers the weapon of the jedi and only the jedi. It literally took the force to coax the weapon into swinging properly. Non-jedi would end up hurting themselves. Because without that limitation, why does everyone not carry the cool weapon/tool that can cut through almost anything?

General Grievous used 4 of them at the same time.

clintmemo
Questing for the elusive New Title

Postby clintmemo » Thu May 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Chad wrote:
Ikoma wrote:Right. In canon sources (or perhaps they are not now canon sources?), it has been said that the light saber is a magnetic field trapping a plasma. That kind of intense magnetic field has impacts on the world around it and is impacted by the world around it. Specifically, they describe it as having a resistance. The field doesn't want to move. The field also doesn't to stop once it is moving. Which would 'feel' a lot like weight. And the non intuitive nature of that resistance is part of what made light sabers the weapon of the jedi and only the jedi. It literally took the force to coax the weapon into swinging properly. Non-jedi would end up hurting themselves. Because without that limitation, why does everyone not carry the cool weapon/tool that can cut through almost anything?

General Grievous used 4 of them at the same time.

General Grievous was a robot where it mattered.
2021 Goal: Not to repeat 2020

Return to “Moving Pictures”